- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget and resources
- 5 Impact
- Official project name
- Free Vocal Music concert in Kyiv
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 1 may 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 20 may 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- To organize a concert of free vocal music within the project "World classic in Ukrainian" aimed to popularize free Ukrainian translations of vocal music as well as the free-licensed music.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- USD 973.49
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- US$ 973.49
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- UAH 799.3 per US$ 100.0 (quoted from bank.gov.ua on 24 April 2013)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- EX: 4 fulltime staff and 2 part-time contractors (50% each).
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- EX: A complete list of staff and contractors is available at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors.
- Primary contact name
- Yuri Perohanych / Юрій Пероганич
- Primary contact username or email
- Perohanych / director at wikimediaukraine dot org dot ua
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Executive Director
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Andriy Bondarenko / Андрій Бондаренко
- Project lead username or email
- A1 / a1 at wikimediaukraine dot org dot ua
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Deputy Chairman
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The goal of the concert emphasizes two aspects. The first one is popularization of free licenses. Vast majority of works planned to be performed are free-licensed and the audio/video recordings of their performance will be also free-licensed thanks to performer`s consent. The second one is an idea of multilingual knowledge. The same way as encyclopaedic knowledge is represented on more than 250 language versions of Wikipedia to be understandable for readers from all over the world, the vocal music could also be performed and heard in different languages. Moreover, being sang in a mother language of recipient a word become much more touching and affecting then being sang in a foreign language (see an article by PhD H. Hanzburg for further details). Therefore the goal of the project could be formulated as making world musical artefacts more available, more understandable, more touching and free for Ukrainian musicians and lovers of music.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- the number of audio files, uploaded to WM-projects and their duration;
- the number of publications in Media about this project.
- the number of people attended the concert
Additionally, we will consider the project successful if:
- the project will encourage poets and composers to publish their works under free licenses;
- the project will encourage musicians to publish their audio under free licenses;
- discovering of Ukrainian vocal translations will encourage musicians to discover more and more Ukrainian musical artefacts.
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Wikimedia Ukraine is planning to organize a concert of vocal music within the project "World classic in Ukrainian". The concert will take place in House of Scientist's hall in Kyiv on May, 15. The program of the concert will include vocal works by F.Schubert, R. Schumann, G. Verdi, P. Tchaikovsky and S. Rachmaninov in free-licensed Ukrainian translations by Yu. Otroshenko and some free-licensed modern vocal works on Ukrainian-language lyrics.
- Audio recordings will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons project. Also vocal scores with Ukrainian text will be placed to Wikisource project. The concert will widely be announced in mass media.
Budget and resourcesEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Hall rent||House of Scientist's hall in Kyiv||Per event||1||108.93||108.93||USD||The Scientist's House hall is comparatively cheap but prestigious hall. It is comfortable for chamber concerts.|
|2||Posters||Design & printing||Per unit||10||4.38||43.80||USD||Posters are necessary to attract people|
|3||Invitations and playbills||Per unit||100||0.50||50.00||USD||Playbills are aimed also to enlighten goals of the world wikimedia movement and clear up the free-license issues.|
|4||Food & Beverages||Afterparty||Per person||30||7.50||225.00||USD||It would be a good faith to thank performances and organizers of the concert with a drop of champagne and some snaks after concert.|
|5||Travel and post expenses||Two way train/bus tickets||Per person||2||40.00||80.00||USD||It is desirable to invite at least two wikimedians from other cities - Anatoly Lutsuk, Chairman of WMUA (lives in Donetsk); Yuri Bulka, WMUA member, curator of educational program in Lviv conservatoire who is encouraged to organize similar music events in Lviv (lives in Lviv).|
|6||Audiorecording equipment and accessories||microphone Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro
audio recorder Zoom H1
accessories APH-1 for Zoom H1
|460.86||USD||More information about equipment - Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro, Zoom H1, accessories APH-1. Also we expect to use this equipment in future for different projects such as concerts, web-conferences, news making, ethnographic expeditions, and any others, if recorded audio could be used for wikimedia projects.|
|7||Bank fees and exchange gain/loss||Exchange fees, Bank Account fees and exchange gain/loss||Per project||1.00||4.90||4.90||USD|
- Total cost of project
- 973.49 USD
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 973.49 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Volunteer work, which include:
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- Our project seems to be the first wiki-concert carrying the idea free multilingual music. We may want to publish a blog post on our project on WMF's blog. We will need help reaching out to the communications team at WMF to coordinate this
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Performers are Peolpe's artists of Ukraine, soloists of National Opera of Ukraine M. Koval, S. Fitsych, Honoured Artists of Ukraine N. Krechko, O. Dondik, also laureates of international competitions - Oksana Yevsiukova (soprano), Andriy Diomin (clarinet), Tetiana Honcharivska (cello) and piano part is Andriy Bondarenko, board member of Wikimedia Ukraine and a leader of this project.
- The leader of the project, Andriy Bondarenko also is a member of Composer`s union of Ukraine and has an experience in organizing concerts within Youth Music Forum (e.g. ), Classics on Fridays program (e.g. ) and other projects. Also he has an experience as Wikimedia project leader, particularly as coordinator of WLM competition in Ukraine.
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Wiki project page (in Ukrainian).
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- As mentioned above most of participants are high-skilled performances with great stage experience
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Providing the project "World classic in Ukrainian" has already effected publication of the opera "La faucon" by D. Bortniansky with Ukrainian translation by M. Strikha (see onwiki page). Thanks to this publication successful presentation of this opera was executed by Drohobych music theatre (see newspaper publication and videoreport).
- Scientist's House administration grants us informational and organisational support for this event
- Our Media partner "Regionews" will provide informational support for this event
- Kyiv national culture and art University grants us organisational support and rooms for rehearsals.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- Concert will involve musicians to Wikimedia movement and will encourage them to enrich Wikimedia projects with music-related materials, such as audio, sheet music, lyrics. This will effect Increasing Participation - more and more musician would be interested in using and contributing to Wikimedia projects. Also this will Improve Quality of music-related materials.
- The project will provide a large amount of previously unavailable high-quality material, particularly Ukrainian translations of vocal music. For years this materials remain hardly available even for musicians.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project will directly benefit Wikimedia Commons, Ukrainian wikisourse and partially, Ukrainian wikipedia (music-related articles)
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- This project is related to GLAM and Education program movements. On the one hand we involve a cultural organization "House of Scientists". This could be an encouraging example for other cultural organizations. On the other hand a large amount of previously unavailable materials could be used in conservatories and other high music schools in vocal and musicologist`s faculties.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- Yes. We have a huge amount of Ukrainian translations of vocal music that remain unavailable. If the concert will have success, we will encourage to organize more and more concerts that could recover more and more Ukrainian translations of vocal music. Also the idea of a free music concert could be perspective for making more and more concerts of free music and popularising a Free content idea.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The positive press coverage generated by the launch event should increase the presence of free knowledge groups in among Ukrainian musicians and poets.