- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
- Grant contact name
- Roel Balingit
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Namayan / roel.balingitwikimedia.org.ph
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Roel Balingit and Emman Ramirez
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Namayan and Sunkissedguy
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Project Managers
- Full project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2012
- Amount requested (in USD)
- 7,795 (₱327,400)
- Provisional target start date
- March 1, 2012
- Provisional completion date
November 30, 2012November 30, 2012 (with the exception of the distribution of prizes, which will be completed on September 15, 2013)
Budget breakdown edit
(N.B.: For ease of computing and to account for currency fluctuations, rates here are quoted at ₱42=$1 if Philippine peso figures are given. All values given here are estimates.)
|Snacks and beverages||₱15,000|
|Advertising campaigns (prints and radio)||₱60,000|
|Posters and other printed materials||₱15,000|
|Project planning and incidentals||₱8,000|
|Acquisition of event domain (2 yrs minimum)||₱3,000|
|Prizes and Trophies||₱136,400|
|4th to 10th Prize||₱7,000|
|1 Wikimania Scholarship for 1st Prize Winner ($2,200)||₱92,400|
|Judging period and Awarding Event||₱30,000|
|Snacks and beverages||₱15,000|
Project goal edit
The goal of the project is to gather quality photographs of various heritage sites across the Philippines which in turn could be used in Wikipedia articles. More so, it also aims to involve Wikimedia Philippines in a global chapter-initiated project, that will provide an opportunity for it to contribute in achieving the goal of breaking the Guinness Record of most photographs entered in a competition. The project also aims to introduce Wikimedia Commons to the general Filipino public, as among the Wikimedia projects and raise awareness of contributing free license photographs that could be freely used, to achieve this end, it will be a requirement to use a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license for all entries or freer licenses.
Program Plan edit
Several project plans for Wiki Loves Monuments have already been implemented after the it was warmly received by Chapter members and government agencies that the Chapter intends to partner up with for the project.
- Event Launch
- An event launch is planned to be held towards the end of March, just in time for the end of the school year and the beginning of the summer vacation and travel period. An early launch was envisioned to attract more participants as well as take advantage of those who would be travelling outside Manila to take photographs of heritage sites in the provinces.
- Promotions and Exhibits
- It is planned to hype the event since it is the first time that the project will be held in the Philippines, it is important to be aggressive in promoting the project nationally as heritage sites are located across the country. This will provide a chance to solicit participation not just to those are based in Manila who may have heard or attended the event launch, but also those who are in the provinces who may just be based around their local heritage sites.
- Awarding Event
- An awarding ceremony is intended to be held in an art gallery where media will be invited especially if the event was able to draw a large number of entries and participants. This will ultimately give a chance for everyone to be aware of Wikimedia Philippines, and the projects of the chapter is not focused in Wikipedia alone nor does it cater exclusively to writers who can be contributors Wikipedia but also photographers who may contribute to Wikimedia Commons.
Fit to strategy edit
The project would expose the participants to Wikimedia Commons, which would benefit from the contributions that the project will generate from the Philippines. This is in line with the Wikimedia's strategy to increase participation especially in the Global South. Their exposure to the Wikimedia Commons will give them the opportunity to study it and hopefully create awareness and imbue in them the spirit of being a contributor to the Wikimedia projects.
The event will also partner with several government agencies like the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, National Museum, National Historical Commission and the Department of Tourism among others which will further the areas of cooperation between the Chapter and the said agencies to pursue other projects like GLAM.
Other benefits edit
The largest photo contest in the Philippines has generated some 4,000 entries, and if Wiki Loves Monuments would beat this record it could generate a lot of mileage for the Chapter to gain additional members, regular Wikimedia Commons contributors or even potential donors from companies who may want to partner with the chapter the next time the event is held.
Measures of success edit
The event will be considered a success if it could gather as much as 3,000 entries from the Philippines from at least 100 participants who will create new user accounts in Wikimedia Commons.