- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget and resources
- 5 Impact
- Official project name
- Philippine Photo by Demand
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- July 1, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- January 31, 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- For seven months beginning July 2013, the photographer members and winning photographers of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012 would be on assignment to provide photographs or videos of places, persons and events in the Philippines that do not have the necessary quality media that would make their respective Wikipedia articles more informative.
- Currency requested
- Philippine Pesos (PHP/₱)
- Amount requested in currency requested
- ₱ 60,000
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- US$ 1,500
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- ₱ 40 ≈ US$ 1 from the National Statistical Coordination Board (Philippines)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Primary contact name
- Eugene Villar
- Primary contact username or email
- eugene at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Roel Balingit
- Project lead username or email
- roel dot balingit at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Project lead title (position), if any
Goals and measures of successEdit
- Project goal
- The goal of the project is to cater to media (photos and videos) requests from Wikipedia:Tambayan Philippines, the Regional notice board for the Philippines and upload it to Wikimedia Commons. To ensure that quality media would be uploaded, the Chapter would assign the task to its members who are photographers, as well as the photographers of the winning entries of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2012 and Project Visionaries, a non-profit photography group which has covered several activities of the Chapter.
Measures of successEdit
- Measures of success
- This project would be considered a success if the photographers upload in Wikimedia Commons 100 photographs or videos of different subjects (places, persons, events) in the Philippines requested through "Tambayan Philippines" that don't have quality media. It must be noted that this number does not count media of the same subject (e.g. with a different perspective, angle or setting).
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- The project lead has discussed with James Singlador, 1st prize winner of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines about the plan, which he warmly welcomed. Singlador is a multi-awarded photographer as shown in his works.
- Once the grant is funded, information about the project would be cascaded in Wikipedia:Tambayan_Philippines and possibly in the Philippine WikiConference on June 15, 2013 in order to solicit the media requests.
- Invitation to be sent out to photographer members, photographer winners of Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines and the members of Project Visionaries Philippines, which is a photography group partnered with the Chapter. Discuss the project plan, Wikimedia Commons interface and licensing as well as the Expense Policy of Wikimedia Philippines. Quality of the media would be emphasized
- Create a notice board for the photographer/s to check their availability to obtain the necessary media.
- Once a photographer signified intent to undertake the media request, he will be on assignment to obtain the media and upload it thereafter. The expenses (transportation, accommodation, food) he incurred would be reimbursed after submission of their expense report.
Budget and resourcesEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||General fund||Transportation, food and accommodation expenses||-||-||-||50,000 ($1,250)||PHP||The amount requested would be a general fund. Itemization would be difficult as photography assignments would differ. But as a general rule, only transportation, food and accommodation expenses would be reimbursable.|
|2||Meeting expenses||Food, transportation||-||-||-||10,000 ($250)||PHP||This amount would be used during the briefing of the photographers who would undertake assignments.|
- Total cost of project
- ₱ 60,000
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- ₱ 60,000
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- List of team members
- The project will be run by the same team which implemented the Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines in 2012 composed of Emman Ramirez, Jenna De Los Reyes, Johannes Bernardo.
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion)
- This is an initiative of the Chapter address community requests on the community notice board .
- The project team would rely on the personal equipment (cameras) of the photographers. It would be a requirement in order to undertake a media request assignment.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- There is a general sentiment among the organizers that WLM may not be sustainable in the long run and even the local WLM organizing committee intends to hold WLM only for another year. However the local WLM organizing team feels that efforts to provide quality media about the Philippines should continue in order to complement their respective Wikipedia articles. The initiative of holding WLM in the Philippines stemmed from the lack of quality, if not complete absence of freely-licensed photographs of various sites in the Philippines. The project would involve photographers who will be tasked to undertake the assignments and on the other hand the Wikipedia contributors would provide the list of requested media, who in turn should insert them in their respective Wikipedia articles. If there is a continuous set of requests to obtain the necessary media, this project could be a continuous ongoing project.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- It should directly benefit Wikimedia Commons where the media would be uploaded and Wikipedia where they would be used. The frequency of these photos being added to their respective Wikipedia articles would be more evident in the English Wikipedia as about 90% of editors in the Philippines contribute in it and the regional notice board for the Philippines is significantly more active in it than any other language.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The project being an offshoot of Wiki Loves Monuments in the Philippines should be considered into the GLAM program area.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The project team believes that this can be replicated in communities which don't have quality images available for them to attach it to their respective Wikipedia articles.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- This initiative should entice Wikipedia editors in requesting media for articles that may require it.