- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Indonesia
- Grant contact name
- Siska Doviana
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- siska.doviana at wikimedia dot or dot id
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project Director
- Project lead name
- Siska Doviana
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- siska.doviana at wikimedia dot or dot id
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Project Director
- Full project name
- Bebaskan Pengetahuan 2010 (Free Your Knowledge 2010)
- Amount requested (in USD)
- USD 7,500
- Provisional target start date
- Mid March 2010 (Mass Media Launch)
- Provisional completion date
- July 9, 2010
- 1 Budget Breakdown
- 1.1 Legend
- 1.2 Post funding A - Stage 1: Preparation & Fundraising
- 1.3 Post funding B - Stage 2: Roadshow to Universities; introductions, training, and project exposure
- 1.4 Post funding C - Training materials and jury evaluation system
- 1.5 Post funding D - Stage 4: Participant training
- 1.6 Post funding E - Stage 5: Jury training
- 1.7 Post funding F - Stage 6: Press Conference 1 & 2
- 1.8 Post funding G - Stage 7: Grand Prize Winner
- 1.9 Grand total
- 2 Project scope
- 3 Project goal
- 4 Non-financial requirements
- 5 Other benefits
- 6 Measures of success
Please note that the budget breakdown will be in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) for exact calculation, US dollar value only for comparison purpose.
- Estimated overall budget for the project is IDR 250,000,000,- equal to USD 26,880.43
- Ford Foundation IDR 46,660,000,- equal to USD 5,000 (coverage breakdown in light brown)
- Pertamina (Indonesian Oil and Gas Company) IDR 24,000,000,- equal to USD 2,580.64 (coverage breakdown in light blue)
- Wikimedia Foundation IDR 68,225,775 equal to USD 7,500 (coverage breakdown in light green)
- Actual budget received and spent: IDR 138,885,775,- equal to USD 14,933,-
Post funding A - Stage 1: Preparation & FundraisingEdit
- First fundraising and preparation: June 2009-August 2009
- Second fundraising and preparation: December 2009-March 2010 (date revision)
- Please note that the budget breakdown will be in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) for exact calculation, US dollar value only for comparison purpose.
|A||No||Preparation and fund raising||Qty||Unit||x||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|1||Communication cost (cellular and fax)||5||persons||x||5||months||x||240,000,-||6,000,000,-||648.65|
|2||Print and papers||6||months||x||500,000,-||3,000,000,-||324.32|
|3||Fund raising approach (transport reimbursement)||5||months||x||250,000,-||1,250,000,-||135.13|
|4||Interns @USD 8.2 per 8 hours|
|Total @IDR 1,500,000,-/months||4||persons||x||5||months||x||1,500,000,-||30,000,000,-||3,243.25|
|Subtotal||IDR 52,500,000,-||USD 5,675.68|
- Rate: 1 USD ~ Rp 9,250
- For item number 4, intern was brief that stipend money they receive is not salary. Their work is free yet receive compensation as "lunch and transport" after one day (eight hours). More than eight hours a day work will not be compensate.
Post funding B - Stage 2: Roadshow to Universities; introductions, training, and project exposureEdit
|B||No||Universities Introduction||Qty||Unit||x||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|1||Transportation (to 10 universities)||3||times||x||10||locations||x||200,000,-||6,000,000,-||648.65|
|2||Courier (mail cost)||30||times||x||10,000,-||300,000,-||32.43|
|Subtotal||IDR 6,300,000,-||USD 681.08,-|
Post funding C - Training materials and jury evaluation systemEdit
Post funding D - Stage 4: Participant trainingEdit
- Participant training introduction: 27 March 2010
- Participant training advance: 25 May 2010
|D||No||Participant training||Qty||Unit||x||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|1||Auditorium rent cost||1||day||x||0 (NOT FUNDED)|
|2||Trainer meals and transport||2||persons||x||2||days||x||0 (NOT FUNDED)|
|3||Assistant transports||2||persons||x||2||days||x||0 (NOT FUNDED)|
|4||Participant meals (beginners training March 27'10)||100||persons||x||1||day||x||50,000,-||5,000,000,-||540.54|
|5||Room rental cost and meals (advance training May 25'10)||34||persons||x||1||day||x||150,000,-||5,100,000,-||551.35|
|6||Training equipment for participant||100||persons||x||1||piece||x||10,000,-||1,000,000,-||108.11|
|Subtotal||IDR 11,100,000,-||USD 1,200|
Post funding E - Stage 5: Jury trainingEdit
- Jury training (by availability) in two sessions 16 & 17 April 2010
|E||No||Evaluation of competitors by Jury||Qty||Unit||x||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|1||Transport reimbursement for jury to held discussion||12||persons||x||100,000,-||1,200,000,-||129.73,-|
|2||Room rental for Jury Training||12||persons||x||1||times||1,000,000,-||108.11,-|
|3||Meals for Jury + Comittee||17||persons||x||1||times||x||50,000,-||850,000,-||91.89,-|
|4||Jury compensation for 3 months work||12||persons||x||1||times||1,500,000,-||18,000,000,-||1,945.95|
|Subtotal||IDR 21,050,000,-||USD 2,275.68,-|
- For item number 4 the amount of compensation given to Jury (consist of 10 University Professor and [2 ID wikipedian]) must be big enough so they'll do it without complaining and must be low enough so it will not look like a paid professional task.
Post funding F - Stage 6: Press Conference 1 & 2Edit
- Press conference project launching: 30 March 2010
- Press conference awarding top five winners and National Awakening Day Commemoration: 20 May 2010
|F||No||Press Conference||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|2||Awarding top five winners||75||media+officials+invitations||x||50,000,-||3,750,000,-||405.41|
|3||Laptop for top five winners||5||laptop||x||5,000,000,-||25,000,000,-||2,702.70|
|4||Grand prize press conference (NOT FUNDED)||75||media+officials+invitations||x||120,000,-||(NOT FUNDED)||(NOT FUNDED)|
|Subtotal||IDR 31,750,000,-||USD 3,432.43|
Post funding G - Stage 7: Grand Prize WinnerEdit
- Top five winners get laptop installed with ubuntu 9 (free operating system) on 20 May 2010
- Grand prize winner got all expenses paid trip to attend Wikimania 2010 in Gdansk, Poland on 9 July 2010
|G||No||Grand Prize Winner||Qty||Unit||x||Unit Price (IDR)||Total Amount (IDR)||Total Amount (USD)|
|1||Air fare Jakarta-Gdanks-Jakarta||1||ticket||x||21,275,000,-||21,275,000,-||2,300,-|
|2||Passport||3||passport (possible winners)||x||1,000,000,-||3,000,000,-||324.32|
|3||Europe travel insurance||1||package (for 7 days stay)||x||220,000,-||220,000,-||23.78,-|
|4||Visa to enter Poland||1||visa||x||1,000,000,-||1,000,000,-||108.11|
|5||Fiscal departure||1||time||x||0||NOT FUNDED||NOT FUNDED|
|6||Pocket money + dinner||6||days||x||385,400,-||2,312,400,-||249.99|
|7||Jakarta Airport international departure tax||1||time||x||150,000,-||150,000,-||16.22|
|8||Airport-hotel-airport + daily transport||6||days||x||185,000,-||1,110,000,-||120|
|10||Wikimania conference cost||1||package||x||1,000,000,-||108.11|
|Subtotal||IDR 31,917,400,-||USD 3,450.53|
|Expected funding||A + B + C + D + E + F + G||IDR 154,617,400,-||USD 16,715.39|
|Revised: actual funding received||A + B + C + D + E + F + G||IDR 138,885,775,-||USD 14,933,-|
Note: Warning: don't do this at home - Project Director is crazy enough to do it without sufficient funding, see report for details.
Bebaskan Pengetahuan 2010 (Free Your Knowledge 2010) is a three months wiki based writing competition. It is design as an integrated event consist of encyclopedia style writing technique training, endurance test, and in the same time serve as an effort to enrich information content in bahasa Indonesia.
The project will introduce and allow selected participant from 10 universities within Jakarta greater area to be trained on how to write in wikipedia and compete for three months. Each Universities only allowed to send in 9 participants and one professor as part of 12 juries (10 from universities and 2 from wikipedia ID). The 90 participants are watched closely by committee while competing and graded using an article matrix calculation created specifically for the project and the 12 juries to grade the article quality.
The competition's short term goal is to find and identify new dedicated quality volunteers writers from Indonesian academic circles. It will also serve as a way to introduce new ways of distributing knowledge in a free and effective way using correct terminology in the Indonesian language. The final goal is to have young leaders emerge from the project; it aims for sustainability by hoping that new volunteers, exposed by participating in the project, continue to participate in the movement. Winners get to attend the Wikimania International Conference 2010 in Poland and are expected to return with a fresh perspective on how Indonesia can participate in contributing free knowledge on global platform.
Project main goal is to double Indonesian Language Wikipedia very active contributors (100+ edit/ months) for three months. Indonesian very active contributors is stagnant around 28 (since Dec 2006) user for three years with the tendency of numbers of new articles dropping.
Reference Letter Signed by Sue GardnerEdit
- Contact: James Owen (WMF) - OK as per email on October 6, 2009
- Contact: Richard Knipel (WM US-NYC) - OK as per chat on May 2010
The Free Your Knowledge 2010 Project will require roughly 150 signed reference letters from WMF. Recipient of this reference letter will be the 90 participants, committee & judges consist of interns, university student participants, university professors & professional (graphic designs, accountants, etc). All 150 reference letters will be custom made, highlighting the recipient contribution. Wikimedia Indonesia will write a draft of the letter and WMUS-NYC will help polished the English content. WMF will check the content and did minor edits when necessary, print 150 copies using WMF letter head, have WMF Director sign them, and mail them to Wikimedia Indonesia in bulk.
- Media partners cooperation
- Private companies cooperation
- Government attention and cooperation
- Cooperation with Universities meant that they will understand Wikipedia more, recognize their potential in enriching it instead of campaigning in banning it from Universities.
- Mass media attention by press conference and press release
- Public will be introduction to "Free Knowledge" initiative by putting banner and posters in 10 universities for three months
- Introduces that Wikimania exist as an International conference
- Should the project successful, future cooperation with universities will be easier since contact already established for Jakarta greater area, national launch will be possible to try next.
- Private companies sees future similar projects as a good chance to do co-branding with the effort.
Measures of successEdit
- All 10 universities participate and we have 90 active participants.
- Indonesian Wikipedia very active contributors doubled up from around 30 users to 60 users. If total participant participate it will triple the number (90).
- Mass media coverage. (update: Radio cooperation established, we have promo spot 3 times a week for free)
- Creates more demand for similar initiative from nation-wide universities.