- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget
- 5 Resources and Risks
- 6 Impact
Grant request detailsEdit
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Wikimedia España
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- Santiago Navarro Sanz
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- Diego Delso
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Spain
- Project start date
- This is the date you begin work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project start date.
- 1 October 2014 (but the project started before, in August)
- Project completion date
- This is the date you finish work on your project. Please include a month, day, and year. You must include a project completion date.
- 1 February 2015
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- Wikimedia Spain organized the photo contest Wiki Loves Monuments in Spain since 2011, with a very good result, or pictures, media impact and users involved. There are a lot of monuments in Spain without photo after three years of contest, and we plan to organize it also this year. This is a way to do outreach, because newspapers, blogs and websites usually talk about the contest and many people can reach Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons by this contest. This year we want to add a second part of the project. Not only a photo contest, but also a writing contest in October, an international challenge to motivate people to write and improve articles about monuments in Spain in every language, using pictures uploaded in September to the contest.
Please request your grant in your local currency. WMF is able to grant funds in many currencies.
- Amount and currency requested
- 1164 EUR
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
For organizations onlyEdit
This section only needs to be completed by organizations requesting grants. Individuals and groups that are not incorporated do not need to complete this section.
- Are you an incorporated organization able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country? For-profit organizations are not eligible to receive grants through the PEG program.
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ or engage any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors? If yes, please tell us how many staff or contractors you employ or engage, along with their functions or a link to your staff page. For example, "2 full time program managers and 1 part-time contractor accountant at 50% FTE each."
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The overall purpose of WLM is to increase the material related to monuments with a free license in Wikimedia Commons and improve the quality and increase the amount of articles about Spanish monuments in different languages in Wikipedia. With the scope that we are asking funding for we want to finance the cost of the awards to the contest winners.
- The prizes are a stimilus to increase the amount of people participating in the contest and sowith increase the amount of material in Wikimedia Commons that can be used in different articles and the articles on Wikipedia, along with new contributors to the Wikimedia movement, or increase the participation of former or current users or editors. At the same time and without charge of the WMF there is a widen online promotion of the contest and the Wikimedia projects in Spain.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- Photo contest:
- Amount of photos uploaded in the contest within Spain: success is over 5,000 files.
- Amount of single users participating in the contest: success is over 200.
- Amount of articles in the Wikimedia projects using this material after 6 months: success is 100.
- Amount of new users: success is over 20.
- Amount of photos used on wikimedia projects after 6 months: success is over 200
- Amount of mentions in press or other web sites: success is over 10
- Writing contest:
- Amount of total participants: success is over 25
- Amount of total new articles: success is over 150
- Amount of improved articles: success is over 50
- Amount of different languages edited: success is over 10
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- Preparation of monuments directories
- Preparation of photo contest website
- Preparation of writing contest page on meta and Commons
- Selection of the jury 
- Preparation and promotion of Flickr group
- Send letter to medias
- Transfer material from Flickr to Commons
- Promote the contests online and offline (while other activities of the chapter)
- Corrections, if needed, of uploaded material
- Selection of top 10 and winners of special categories
- Nomination of winners (both, photo and writing contest)
- Awards (note: only this activity needs budget from the foundation, but it is crucial for the whole contest)
- Using and categorizing pictures from the photo contest
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||Tablet Nexus 7 32 GB Wiki||1 tablet||1||260||260||EUR||First prize winner. We are in contact with a Partner who could sponsorize partially the contest. If yes, this item will not be purchase |
|2||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 2 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||1||111||111||EUR||Second prize winner. |
|3||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 1 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||2||55||110||EUR||3rd prize winner and uploader of most different monuments pictures. |
|4||Awards and gifts||Book "Wikipedia de la A a la W"||1 book||18||12.5||225||EUR||Book about Wikipedia, as a prize for 10 first places and the person with most different monuments, and two special prizes, and as a gift for the five members of the jury |
|5||Certificates||Printout of certificates||1 certificate||18||2||36||EUR||10 best photographers, uploader #1, 2 special prizes and jury|
|6||Internet||Domain and web hosting for site http://www.wikilm.es||1 package||1||15||15||EUR||None|
|7||Shipping||Shipping to up to 18 persons||1 shipment||18||5||90||EUR||For photo contest|
|8||Shipping||Shipping to up to 11 persons||1 shipment||11||15||165||EUR||For writing contest|
|9||Unforeseen||Expenses that cannot be planned at this moment||15% of estimated budget||1||152||152||EUR||The amount is the result of 15% of the estimated 1012 €|
- Total cost of project
- 1164 EUR
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 1164 EUR (but actually only 320 EUR because WMES has 844 EUR remaning from Grants:PEG/WM ES/CUSL8/Report)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Not money, but the partner "Paradores de Turismo de España, S.A." will give the first prize and an special one, and Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Jaca will give another special prize as a partner.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We'll need some Wikipedia merchandising as a prizes and gifts. We talked with Alex Wang and she told us that it was better not include them in the general budged:
- For photo contest:
- 18 (10 first places, person with most different monuments pictures uploaded, special prize about Paradores, one special prize more, 5 jury members) Wikipedia T-shirst to distribute as prizes and gifts.
- Awards for writing contest:
- 1 Wikipedia Track Jacket (Unisex) for First prize winner of writing contest.
- 1 Globe Hoodie (Unisex) for secondnd prize winner of writing contest
- 11 Wikipedia T-shirt for winners and special prize of writing contest
- 6 Be Bold / Wikipedia Mug for #1-5 and special prize winner
- 2 Wikipedia Language Water Bottle for 1# and special prize winner
- For photo contest:
Resources and RisksEdit
This section is used to highlight your potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project:
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- This year team: Millars, Poco a poco, Rodelar, Kadellar, B25es, Elisardojm and others
- This is the 4th year of this project, and the support of the community for WLM is clear. Wikimedia Spain organized this contest in 2011, 2012 and 2013 with a great success of uploaded pictures and people participating. Spain is the 3rd country with most pictures uploaded to WLM since 2010. This year, before we could send a letter to the medias, three important national medias asked us for the contest and some news were already published.
This section is used to identify key risks or threats that would prevent you from achieving your project goals and how you would mitigate those risks and threats.
- Difficulty in recruiting new volunteers and increasing the participation from previous years.
- More work with national medias and social networks, and with wikipedia community, to encourage them to participate.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- The project fits with the mission of Wikimedia because it looks for new information (pictures and articles) about an important sector of human knowledge (monuments). It is well known that through WLM a lot of material for Wikimedia Commons is gathered, and this year also we are looking for an impact in Wikipedia (every language).
- This contest reaches many people who didn't edit on Wikipedia or never uploaded a picture on Wikimedia Commons, thanks to the banners and the news published in medias. Wikimedia has an important promotion in the press and we gain a lot of new editors (although unfortunately it is also proven that not many stay for long, i.e. the retainment quote is low).
- Many pictures uploaded are of very good quality and they improve the quality of articles where they are used. The same with the articles, when people improve them.
- When people see that a group of volunteers can organize a successful contest (the biggest photo contest in the world) with a little amount of money they trust in us. The founds are efficientñy used, a low amount of money get many pictures and participants and media mentions.
- Every year we learn something new and improve our skills and projects.
- This year we get our first partner. A long term project can reach more people and more partners.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- All projects in the foundation dealing with monuments located in Spain.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- We could fit it in GLAM, but also it is important for outreach.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- We could see that yes. This project could be replicated by other groups in many countries and it could be modified to create a new one like WLE, WLPA, etc. The same with the writing contest. Other challenges like Umepedia, Tylers Museum, Catalan challenge worked very well.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The positive press coverage generated by the event should increase the amount of participants and editors.