The overall goal of this proposal is to provide Wikimedia Canada and its members with the resources required in order to carry on its planned projects and continue the operations of the chapter. The main objective of Wikimedia Canada for 2015-2016 is to promote and increase the presence of Canadian contributors through the organization of a variety of public activities. Wikimedia Canada's previous projects put in place solid foundations on which it is now time to build upon in order to increase the outreach of the different Wikimedia projects throughout the organization of events, especially with Bibliothèque et Archives nationale du Québec (BAnQ) in improving cooperation in the publication of contents in Wikimedia projects. In particular, BAnQ offered Wikimedia Canada a physical office within their building.
On the other hand, this proposal also sees the chapter's compliance with local regulations, in particular with tax filling. This proposal also include the production of promotional item and business cards necessary for Wikimedia Canada to carry on its activities in public and establish cooperation relationships with different partner organizations with similar goals.
This proposal doesn't cover every planned projects by Wikimedia Canada and its members for 2015 as some have no financial requirements or are financed through other means. This proposal also doesn't prevent the chapter from initiating other projects during the period of this proposal's implementation, projects that may be funded through other grant proposals.
- Wiki Tuesday at BanQ: Training workshops every first Tuesday of the month from 17h to 21h30, offered Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Room capacity is 20 people + 1 trainer. A librarian is on hand to guide participants through the Universal Collection, the National Collection and the National Archives. The dates in 2015 are January 6, February 3, March 3, April 7, May 5, June 2, 1 September, 6 October, 3 November, December 1st. Participants arrive at 17 am and leave at 21 pm, so we will serve snacks and beverages to prevent participants leave during the evening.
- UQO: Research Week: Discussion Panel "How to integrate Wikipedia in its practical research and teaching?" at Université du Québec en Outaouais, Gatineau, Qc. This presentation-discussion open to all Students', professeur.es and member of the university community who want to know the Wikimedia platforms (Wikipedia encyclopedia Wikimedia Commons media base, Wikisource document database, etc.). The presentation will include a general introduction to Wikimedia and its projects, a demonstration of the creation of an article and a discussion on the interest of participant.es to integrate these tools into their practices research and teaching. Several speakers will address: Benoît Rochon, a project manager for Wikimedia Canada, Ha-Loan Phan, service to members of ACFAS, Rosa Iris Rodriguez Rovira, a student who participated in a course integrating Wikipedia and Nathalie Casemajor, professor in the department of social sciences at UQO.
- UQO: Public dicussion POV and Neutrality in Wikipedia: Discussion Panel "POV and Neutrality in Wikipedia" at BAnQ, Montreal, Qc. In this presentation-discussion, two scholars will address the topic of POV and neutrality in Wikipedia. They will discuss these topics in relation with the epistemologic tradition in social sciences and humanities. Several speakers will be invited: Martin Laberge, historian and Professor at Université du Québec en Outaouais, and other speaker to be determined.
- International Wiknic: The Montreal Botanical Garden, ACFAS, Lionel-Groulx Foundation and Wikimedia Canada invite Montrealers, contributors and interested to Wikipedia, to participate in this Wiknic in the Japanese Garden. In addition to a snack offered to participants, a photographic walk will be organized, as well as training workshops for Wikimedia projects. Free access to the Botanical Garden and the Insectarium will be offered to a limited number of participants (20) for whom registration is required.
- Training and tutorials in French: Production of a series of audiovisual tutorials practices contributing to Wikimedia projects. The Italian example is inspiring. The requirements are: design tutorials (scripts), equipment / software for screencast, voice over, audiovisuals, promotion of tutorials (press release, etc.).
- Seminar for the Association des archivistes du Québec: During the annual seminar of the Association des archivistes du Québec, Wikimedia Canada will offer training on the use of Commons, Wikisource and Wikipedia, following the successes of projects Poirier and Marcil as well as Quebec/Canada transcription projects on WIkisource. On November 5, 2015 Wikimedia Canada is invited by Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec to the provincial seminar of archivists. The objective is to train the archivists to be autonomous to support projects similar to what was done in Montreal and Gatineau.
- UQO: Wiki Course, images and free licenses: The educational project at the University of Quebec in Outaouais is to provide a space for writing and reference for students of the course given at SOC2023 Social Sciences Department. This is the bachelor students (license) in the social sciences involved in writing articles on wikipedia.fr encyclopedia. The head teacher of the course is Seeris. Given for the first year in the fall 2014, the course will be restored in 2015.
- Business cards Wikimedia Canada: Production of business cards for the new members of the Board of Wikimedia Canada to be used when talking with possible partner organizations such as GLAM.
- Promotional tablecloth: Production of a promotional tablecloth of Wikimedia Canada to be used to increase visibility when the chapter or its members are organizing public activities.
- Tax filling: Outsourcing of tax filing requirements of the chapter to a professional service in order to fulfill local legal requirements.
Resources and risksEdit
The officers of the Board of Wikimedia Canada will provide oversight for the implementation of this grant. The officers elected by Wikimedia Canada's members and those that may be elected during the time period of this grant shall be responsible for this grant. As of submission of this proposal, the officers of Wikimedia Canada are:
- Chair of the Board/President: Alan Walker
- Vice-Chair: Patrick Paul
- Treasurer: Ernest Boucher
- Secretary: Jeffery Nichols
- Project manager: Benoit Rochon
- Project manager: Nathalie Casemajor
- Cancellation or unability to carry on projects by their volunteer organizers due to professional or personal obligations.
Project budget tableEdit
|1||Wiki Tuesday at BanQ||$145.20|
|1.3||Printing cheat sheets||$78.00|
|2||UQO: Reseach Week||$240.00|
|3||UQO: Public Discussion "POV and Neutrality in Wikipedia"||$660.00|
|5||Seminar for the Association des Archivistes du Québec||$301.00|
|6||UQO: Wiki Course, images and free licenses||$240.00|
|7||Business cards Wikimedia Canada||$75.00|
Total cost of projectEdit
3,300.20 CAD (2,619.21 USD)
Total amount requestedEdit
As our actual budget for 2015-2016 is almost the same amount than our excedents from the 2013-2014, we are simply asking for the reallocation of this excendent of (3,179.18) CAD or (2,523.16) USD @ 1.26.
Additional sources of revenueEdit
All cost associated with rent for office, meeting and conference rooms will be fully sponsorised by Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ). Those spaces will be used for activities such as Wiki Tuesday at BAnQ.
- Requesting supplies for outreach from Wikimedia Foundation such as t-shirts, stickers, pins, bottles, etc.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.