Grants:PEG/WCUG Pakistan/Wiki Loves Monuments Pakistan 2014
< Grants:PEG(Redirected from Grants:PEG/WMPK/Wiki Loves Monuments Pakistan 2014)
Grant request detailsEdit
- Are you an organization, a group, or an individual?
- Please provide your name, or the name of the group or organization requesting this grant.
- Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan
- Please provide the name (or username) of the main contact for this grant request. You do not need to disclose your legal name publicly.
- Rabia Zafar
- For groups and organizations only: Please provide the name (or username) of a second contact for this grant request.
- Please link to any relevant documents, including your website if you have one.
- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments Pakistan 2014
- Project start date
- 01 June 2014
- Project completion date
- 28 February 2015.
- Please describe the project in a few sentences
- Our project is part of the global Wiki Loves Monuments initiative taking place during the month of September. Our photography competition aims to gather freely licensed images of Pakistan's various heritage sites and monuments and make them available for use in Wikipedia's 287 language editions and other sister projects.
- Amount and currency requested
- Pakistani rupee 155,684
- Please provide an equivalent amount in US dollars using the exchange rate provided by Oanda on the date you open this request
- US$ 1,574 (exchange rate used 1 USD = 98.88263 PKR)
Goals and measures of successEdit
- The main purpose of WLM Pakistan is to produce freely licensed images of heritage sites and monuments of Pakistan which will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons with an aim to promote both the local cultural heritage and the concept of free license. An image repository will be created on Commons which will be used across Wikimedia sister projects. Moreover, the competition will also introduce many new users and will help in establishing a Pakistani Wikimedia community. The ultimate goal is to promote Wikipedia, the Wikimedia movement and a free knowledge culture in Pakistan.
- The scope of this grant request covers promotional costs, awards for the winners, and other miscellaneous costs. The award prizes are a stimulus to increase the participation in the contest which will advance the above mentioned aims and goals.
Measures of successEdit
- We are using the following criteria to measure the success of the event:
- Quantity of images: This is our basic criteria. We are aiming to gather a large number of images of little known heritage sites (>1,000 files)
- Quality of images: Our second aim is to gather quality photographs which offer more details about the sites and monuments (>100 quality images)
- Number of users: All new users would be required to create user accounts to participate in the competition. It is hoped that this would encourage at least some of them to also contribute to the relevant articles (>20 new users)
- New articles and expansion of current articles on Wikipedia: Personal visits to the various sites would provide information on those sites which currently do not have an online reference. Moreover, it will also encourage in creating new articles (~40-50 new articles)
- Media attention: News about the competition in the local media including newspapers and radio and blogs will help in promoting Wikipedia Community User Group Pakistan, Wikimedia and its work, and the concept of free knowledge (~20 media references)
Project scope and activitiesEdit
The project is centered around the organisation of Wiki Loves Monuments in Pakistan. We are planning to organise the following activities:
- Obtaining a domain name and creating an official website
- Creating detailed lists on Wikipedia of the country's monuments and archaeological sites
- Promoting the event through a sustained campaign on social networks
- Contacting organisations and institutions for their support and promotion
- Meeting in June/July of the project core team members
- Designing and distributing promotional material
- Finalising the remaining unfinished tasks including announcements and press releases
- Launch of contest
- Uploading competition images to Wikimedia Commons (Sept 1st - 30th)
- Judging of submitted entries
- Awards Ceremony (tentative)
- Exhibition (tentative)
- Prepare a final report including details regarding project activities and measures of its success or failure
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||Cash prize for 1st winner||--||--||Rs 20,000||Rs 20,000||Pakistani rupee||202.26 US $|
|2||Awards||Cash prize for 2nd winner||--||--||Rs 15,000||Rs 15,000||Pakistani rupee||151.69 US $|
|3||Awards||Cash prize for 3rd winner||--||--||Rs 10,000||Rs 10,000||Pakistani rupee||101.13 US $|
|4||Awards||Cash prize for 4th and 5th winner||--||2||Rs 5,000||Rs 10,000||Pakistani rupee||101.13 US $|
|5||Promotion||Web hosting 2GB (for 1 year) http://pacwebhosting.co.uk||--||1||Rs 5,000||Rs 5,000||Pakistani rupee||50.56 US $|
|6||Promotion||Domain .PK (wikilovesmonuments.pk
||--||1||Rs 2,000||Rs 2,000||Pakistani rupee||20.25 US $|
|7||Promotion||Advertisement on Facebook for 30 days||5 US$ per day, will generate 25 visitors||30||5 US$||150 US$||US dollar||150 US$|
|8||Promotion||Online advertisement in leading newspaper websites||100 US$||US dollar||100 US$|
|9||Miscellaneous||Gift box delivery charges||Rs 400 per box||25 packages||Rs 400 per box||Rs. 10,000||Pakistani rupee||101.13 US $|
|11||WLM Pakistan Merchandise||20 mugs and 20 t-shirts||We have received some WP merchandise from WMF but we need more, particularly related to WLM||40||Rs 500||Rs 20,000||Pakistani rupee||202.26 US $|
|12||Custom duty+other charges||Custom duty+other charges on WP merchandise send by WMF||Rs 10,964||Pakistani rupee||111 US $|
|13||Printing material||Posters and flyers for distribution in local education institutions||Each poster cost around Rs 120 x 50 posters, total cost 6K and remaining 4K for flyers||Rs 10,000||Pakistani rupee||101 US $|
|14||Contingency||Incidental costs (may include unconsidered taxes, increase in costs during the duration of the competition etc.)||Rs 18,000||Pakistani rupee||182.03 US $|
- Total cost of project
- Uncertain yet
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Pakistan Rupee 155,684
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We are currently in discussion with two potential sponsors. Both have expressed interest in WLM Pakistan and in principle have agreed to sponsor at least some aspect of the awards ceremony and travelling exhibition. The level of their involvement will be confirmed later.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We have received some WP merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs from WMF.
Resources and RisksEdit
- List of team members (names or usernames): Saqib Qayyum, Samar Min Allah and Rabia Zafar
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion): Please refer the project's Commons page
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Special skills or qualifications this potential grantee or project lead brings to this project: Details about the team are present here
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects: This is the first project for Wikimedia User Group Pakistan. We are confident that the funds will help us to gain resources and publicize the event which will attract more participants and make this event a success.
- We do not foresee any potential risks. Since this is the first large-scale event for our User Group, we are reviewing all possible issues that can arise in the future.
- Mitigating risks
- Volunteers have taken up certain tasks which they are comfortable with and have experience in. Potential risks have been shared among all the volunteers thus making sure that issues can be properly addressed.
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach
- Publicity of the competition will spread the concept behind Wikimedia in Pakistan and more people will understand that contributing to Wikipedia and its sister project is free and simple
- More participation in terms of increased users as well as in terms of number of photos contributed
- WLM in other countries have achieved more in terms of quality with many of them getting featured as Featured Image in Wikimedia Commons. Awards to top prizes will encourage quality submissions.
- credibility (more trust in our projects)
- The transparency of the event and success of the competition will establish credibility and encourage various organizations/bodies to get involved with Wikimedia and its projects
- organizational maturity and effectiveness
- This is our first User Group project in Pakistan, and it will help us measure our strengths and weaknesses and impart maturity and confidence in our future ventures
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See Project and Event Grants program criteria for decision making.
- The event aims at three things: increasing awareness of free license and intellectual rights, promotion of Commons and Wikipedia, availability of images on Commons (increase in media content of Commons)
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project will help both Wikimedia Commons and the Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan. It will increase the number of images on Commons which will further be used on other projects. One of our goals for this competition is to encourage professional photographers to release their photos under a Creative Commons license. Professional photographers take many pictures, only a handful of which are published. By reaching out to them through our events, and showing them that Commons is a proper venue for photographic expression, we hope to get them to contribute a small portion of their unpublished work.
- Secondly, it will help strengthen the Pakistani Wikimedian community and will provide a foundation to our User Group to launch other nation-wide events.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- Yes, the project fits in many work areas like education (through understanding of local culture and historical sites), GLAM (being focused around cultural institutions), outreach etc. We hope to see many institutions reaching to us with the growth of the community.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The Wiki Loves Monuments event has been globally successful and has been replicated and successfully organised in many countries including South-Asian countries like India and Nepal. Success in Pakistan will assist other neighbouring countries (their Wikimedia affiliate) to organize similar events.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- Wiki Loves Monuments will help the Wikimedia movement grow in Pakistan. It will help increase the number of dedicated volunteers.