Grants:PEG/Vitor Mazuco/Universidade Federal de Uberlândia-01-2015
- The project's goal is to encourage students, teachers and universities to use Wikipedia as a teaching tool, enabling new Wikipedians, developing skills and competencies, collaborative production of free knowledge, and especially helping to improve Wikipedia's quality in Portuguese.
- To go from São Paulo City to Uberlândia City, Minas Gerais in April for some days and make a presentation at UFU, Federal University of Uberlândia, a federal educational institution in Brazil. I'm a ambassador in Wikipedia in University. Last semester I participated in two courses(please see the page) here and here too. I want to do it again this semester in order to continue this project. I have contact with a professor which is interested in using Wikipédia in her classes during 2015.
- Help guidance on the format of an encyclopedic entry, teach edit and present the pillars and main editing rules, and standards and best practices common in Wikipedia.
- I help many students use Wikipedia, create news articles and help professor how use Wikipedia in many courses.
- The idea is to work with the same teacher from the last semester, considering that she is now understanding how the methodology works, but now broadening the number of teachers involved in this project. I hope that she can encourage more teachers to participate, and also invite some of these students to help the new teachers.
- After the weekend course, I can keep the contact and help them by distance (discussions on Wikipedia, Facebook and email). By now, there is not a local Wikipedian, as I know it would be the best solution for the project.
- The impact will happen for increase Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons articles and contribuition. Spread Wikipedia community with professors and students.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- I believe that this will increasing reach, when I presenting at conferences with a targeted audience. Increasing participation and improving editor diversity by recruiting new editors from a target group, onboarding and educating new editors with a plan for follow-up and mentorship with workshop and edit-a-thon.
This project will increasing quality in accessibility to reliable sources for editors, participation by subject matter experts to perform surface and in-depth reviews and interest-group collaboration on identifying articles for improvement.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- The success is for Education Programs that increase of teachers participating, improvement rate for article quality, increase contributions, accuracy and/or detail of contributions, diversity of information coverage, diversity of participants and increase respect for Wikimedia projects, like Wikimedia Commons.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- There will be two classes and about 90 students participating directly. Indirectly, we hope to have 30 more. They are Human Resources Management classes, in a Business Administration undergrad program. We hope to improve and/or create at least 10 articles, because they will work in groups.
- # of teachers participating: 2 or 3 directly, and 5 others in the symposium
Return rate of teachers within one academic year: 1 Total
- # of students participating: 120
- # of female participants: 60
- # of online ambassadors: 1
- # of campus ambassadors: 0
- # of articles created (or # of overall bytes added to Wikipedia articles): at least 10 improved
I will keeping contacts by Facebook, and I always talk about who is want to continue editing, or is interesting contribute for anything in Wikimedia Foundation's Sites.
Resources and risksEdit
- I believe this project is will help Portuguese Wikipedia, and will help the Brazilian people the use Wikipedia as source.
The past results
- Wikipédia na Universidade/Oficina/Uberlândia
- Liderança e Comportamento Organizacional (segundo semestre 2014)(entire own work)
- Universidade Federal de Uberlândia/Gestão de Pessoas (segundo semestre 2014)(entire own work)
- Apresentando a Wikipédia.pdf(entire own work)
- Apresentando a Wikipédia na Universidade.pdf(entire own work)
- Oficinas na UFU
- Last grants that I asked
- News about the seminar in UFU official website
- Final Results
- Low risk because of student disinterest.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost (BRL)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Travel From Campinas City to Uberlandia City, Minas Gerais state and Back from Uberlândia City to Campinas City in São Paulo state.||Airport costs.||Per person||1||US$400||1020||US$400||This costs will cover the travel for my submission in UFU and back home in São Paulo|
|2||Costs to Hotel and breakfast||Costs of Hotel in Uberlândia.||Per person||1||UU$50 per day||417||UU$150||This costs will cover the hotel and breakfast food.|
- Total cost of project
- More or Less USD$ 550, because depend on on costs os ticket on airport, that change the price every day. And the costs of hotel.
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- ~R$1500 (~USD $550)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- I can help myself with others costs, like food launch and dinner and transportation inside the city.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.