Grants:PEG/Tec de Monterrey/Semana i September 2016/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- There were five main projects:
1) Wiki expedition to the historic neighborhoods of Roma and Condesa to photograph important sites as well as to create an improve articles related to that area. This event was in collaboration with the Roma and Condesa neighborhood association
2)Wiki expedition to the Desierto de los Leones former monastery and National Park. Here students collaborated with authorities of the park/monastery to have access for taking photos and documents to create/improve articles related to the site.
3) Wiki grabación (video) recording of interviews of artists related to the Salón de la Plástica Mexicana (a national honor society for Mexican artists). 3 of the interviews were with Rina Lazo, Arturo Garcia Bustos and Arturo Estrada, former students/assistants to Diego Rivera and/or Frida Kahlo. 3 were with family members of deceased members, such as the daughter of Fanny Rabel, son of Nicolas Moreno and grandson of Adolfo Cantú. All but the Nicolas Moreno video are up onto the respective pages of the artists in English and Spanish Wikipedia. The event also included an exhibiton of works from members of the Salón at the campus library, accompanied by printouts of Wikipedia articles of the respective artists.
4) Editathon related to Gothic literature in Spanish. This is the first event of its kind for us at Wiki Learning Tec de Monterrey. The goal was to document as many important Gothic short stories as possible from the 18th and 19th centuries.
5) Wiki grabación (traditional music) Our most ambitious venture. The idea is to take advantage of the professional sound recording systems on campus, along with students learning sound engineering to produce freely-licenced recordings of traditional Mexican music performed by professional and amateur musicians. Special thanks to the Mexican National Sound Library and the group Los Hijos de la Malinche of Veracruz for their support of the project.
- Grant money allowed us to have aspects of the event filmed (on both campus Ciudad de México and campus Santa Fe). The final product is at the top of this page. We also have all the raw footage for students in the coming semesters to edit and upload clips.
- Blog post at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts/Wiki_and_%E2%80%9Ci_Week%E2%80%9D:_five_projects_under_one_%E2%80%9Croof%E2%80%9D
Semana i 2016 is also documented on the Wiki Learning Tec de Monterrey page at https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Countries/M%C3%A9xico/Tec_de_Monterrey/Semana_i_September_2016
- What worked well?
- Each time we do a Semana i, we manage to learn from previous mistakes, and develop systems to make the event go smoother. Although the Tec de Monterrey provided the basics to allow the projects to proceed, the elements that this grant provided gave the Wiki-projects a more professional feel. This is particularly important since The Wiki projects are just some of quite a few options for students during Semana i, many of which have corporate sponsorship, which can even include prizes.
- What didn't work?
- This was our first time running grant funds through the Tec de Monterrey financial system. It has been difficult, as the system is very bureaucratic and slow and sometimes makes the costs of things higher. We received the caps too late for the event (but they can be used in future Semana i or other events) and we canceled the stickers because the provider registered with the Tec (all providers must be registered and it's a pain) wanted 4 times the cost than what we could get them for on an open market.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- There were some administrative issues. We are still working out how to divide the projects among teachers and still have a support system in place for when they have problems, especially those (relatively) new to Wikimedia. We still issues with teachers as well as students underestimating the technical and regularory issues related to contributing to Wikipedia in particular. (We are thinking of having a "bunker" to support the various projects next time.) We were a little over-ambitious with a couple of the projects, especially the music recording project, which we are thinking of extending into a semester-long project (Semestre i) rather than a week. Directly related to WMF grants, it is best to separate grant-making into two parts... one to the Tec de Monterrey for large/complex costs (videoing, food service, honorariums) and a personal grant for small costs such as stickers, caps, etc. as this is more efficient and cost-effective.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- There are five distinct projects which will be open to about 200 students on two campuses in the Mexico City area (Campus Ciudad de México and Campus Santa Fe). The projects are
1) Interview 15 national-level artists of the Salón de la Plástica Mexicana for video onto Commons. Accompanying this is an exhibition of works by members of the Salón, with blow ups of Wikipedia articles related to the artists.
2) Record up to 10 pieces of traditional (out-of-copyright) Mexican music to have freely-licensed reditions in Commons, adding the recordings, midi files and scores to appropriate projects
3) Editahon of pages in Spanish and other languages related to British and American authors of Gothic Literature from the end of the XIX century and the beginnings of the XX century.
4 & 5) Two wiki-expeditions- one to Colonias Roma and Condesa and to the Desierto de los Leones former monastery and national park.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- All 5 projects were completed and almost all work was completed by the final day of Semana i. Stats in the following section.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Interview 15 national-level artists of the Salón de la Plástica Mexicana for video onto Commons. Accompanying this is an exhibition of works by members of the Salón, with blow ups of Wikipedia articles related to the artists.||Wiki grabación (video) Group leader- User:Thelmadatter
||We did not get the required number of students registered with this project and for this reason, cut the number of artists down to 7. One artist was a no-show. The sixth interview was recorded but has not yet been edited and uploaded. This will be done during the upcoming semester. Just as well, 15 interviews is too many in a week, especially when artists have a bad habit of showing up very late.|
|Record up to 10 pieces of traditional (out-of-copyright) Mexican music to have freely-licensed reditions in Commons, adding the recordings, midi files and scores to appropriate projects||Wiki grabación (Traditional Mexican music) Group leaders-User:Lourdes Epstein and sound engineering department director Alejandro Ramos
||Way too ambitious for a one week project, but popular with students. We are looking at making this a one-semester project (Semestre i)|
|Editahon of pages in Spanish and other languages related to British and American authors of Gothic Literature from the end of the XIX century and the beginnings of the XX century.||Wiki Literatura (Gótica) Group leader User:TONYchainsaw
||Good stats from the project management tool, but I should note that almost all of the articles have been tagged as problematic. Tony is a relative novice to Wikipedia and thought that just a summary of important Gothic short stories would be sufficient. es.wiki disagrees.|
|Wiki expedition to Colonias Roma and Condesa||Wiki expedición Colonias Roma y Condesa Group leader - User:Nutresilla
||This went quite well as we learned much from the previous experience in Tlalpan and Xochimilco. Marta Gomez contacted as many individual places as possible so students would not have access issues. However, next time, we should issue students ID tags for the event.|
|Wiki expedition to the Desierto de los Leones former monastery and national park.||Wiki expedición Desierto de los Leones Group leader-User:Alvaroez
||This one was run well, as Alvaro Alvarez has previous experience with this kind of event. Documentation has been more difficult. Another difficulty was getting the articles up on the Desierto in the various languages for which we had native speaking students, as we did not have people familiar with the norms of Hebrew Wiki, etc. Tec attracts a lot of foreign students and we could use help in taking advantage of this in the various projects.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
|1. # of active editors involved||135 stuents||Tec de Monterrey limited the number of students in each project to 35 students. Unfortunately, we were forced due to school administrative issues to combine the two Wiki recording (video and audio) into a "single" project. This will not be the case next time|
|2. # of new (student) editors||111||Some were students who had worked with Wikipedia for class or for servicio social.|
|3. # of individuals involved||154||However, most teacher participants had minor roles as they were/are part-timers|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||Video doc is here Video interviews are on 10 Wikipedia pages (5 in enwik/5 in eswiki), music files on 9 pages, 4 in es.wiki, 5 in enwiki||I dont have time to look through the images for the wiki expeditions, but it is likely that very few made it into Wikipedia pages|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||1 short documentary of the event, 5 video interviews. 7 audio/music files, 1 score, 3,613 photos by students, 155 taken of the event/activities||audiovisual production was the strongest aspect of this event.|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||74 articles created and 93 improved, almost all in es.wiki||Most are from the editathon and the Wikiexpedition to Colonias Roma and Condesa|
|6. Absolute value of words added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||83.37K words added with 600 edits|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- The main increase was the attraction of students and others with the ability to work with audiovisual files. While we made some mistakes, the consensus is that the work with video and music recording represent a very viable avenue to explore in future Semanas i, classes and servicio social
While the editathon did not go as well as planned, this was not due to lack of interest by students. We need to plan and train teachers/group leaders better in what Wikipedia expects from contributions.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Printing||60x90cm posters of 10 Wikipedia articles||1 poster||10.00||250.00||2,160.00||2,500.00||MXN||--|
|2||Services||Filming/editing for mini-doc about Wiki activities during Semana i||1 mini-doc plus all raw footage||20,000.00||20,000.00||20,000.00||20,000.00||MXN||--|
|3||Clothing||Baseball caps with Wikipedia logo for teacher participants||1 cap||50.00||46.00||2,981.20||2,300.00||MXN||Estimate was from a local shop, before we knew we had to work with registered providers. Since the difference wasn´t much, we decided to go ahead with this purchase.|
|4||Honorarium||Services of ethnomusicologist associated with the National Sound Library||session||1||0.00||0,00||2,000.00||MXN||Fee for this service was later waived by the Library.|
|5||Honorarium||Musical director/producer Diego Torres Cantú of the Berklee College of Music||session||1||4,000.00||4,000.00||4,000.00||MXN|
|6||Transportation||Bus tickets Veracruz-Mexico City for members of the group Los Hijos de la Malinche||ticket||8||448.27||4,160.00||6,000.00||MXN||Tax on tickets is 573.84. The 6,000.00 was supposed to include lodging, but we were offered another option for this.|
|7||Honorarium||Presentation by the cronista of Colonia Roma, Alvaro Santillan||session||1||1,048.95||1,048.95||1,000.00||MXN||The extra 48 pesos is for a tax we were previously unaware of.|
|8||Printing||Participation certificates for students||page||120||0.00||0.00||800.00||MXN|
|9||Food service||Toast for opening of Semana i and art exhibition||person||100||85.00||8,500.00||8,500.00||MXN|
|10||Food service||Coffee service for Day 1 of Semana i||person||160||45.00||7,200.00||9,900.00||MXN||Could not serve the coffee at Campus Santa Fe. The actual cost reflects the service only at Campus Ciudad de México|
|11||Printing||stickers||each||0,00||0.00||0.00||1,100.00||MXN||This was cancelled because the registered provider wanted about 4 times the cost of where we got the stickers the last time. We had enough from that batch to cover the event.|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Not in money, but the school provided much of the equipment (e.g. cameras, etc) and space, as well as the time of professional staff.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 7,059.85 MXN
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT