Grants:PEG/Shipmaster - Community of Arabic Wikipedia/Producer Prize-2015
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
- Promote the quality and quantity of Arabic contents on the web within the scope of Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- The prize is intended to grant a monetary prize to outstanding contributors as an incentive, for the purpose to maintain their continuous contribution to related projects.
- The prize aims to promote competition among contributors to reach the best quality of contents.
- The contest goals reflects areas that need improvement in the Arabic wikipedia
We already have a system in place on the Arabic Wikipedia which has been utilized during the past rounds to receive requests, and record contributions for each of the contestants. We basically set-up, maintain, and monitor those pages, respond to inquiries about the process, and make sure that all contestants are well informed with the timeline and the basic rules.
After the end of each round, we contact a judging panel to look at the contributions and vote for the best top three contestants. We summarize the results, publish them on wiki and get in touch with the winners off-wiki through email in order to transfer the prize accordingly.
Arabic Wikimedia projects, especially Arabic Wikipedia.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- The prize will be advertised on the main page which is supposed to attract new editors into the project
- The prize is granted to the most outstanding contributors to both the quantity and quality of contents.
- The competitive nature of the prize is expected to increase the level of commitment toward the project by existing users.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Measures of success
- 25 contest submissions
- 1100 new articles
- 20 Featured contents
- 300 new photos
- Improving 600 existing articles
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Project has been running successfully since 2010.
- Last year report is here.
- We don't foresee any risks, the project is well established and this is the competition 8th round (being held twice annually), its popularity on-wiki is proven and we only continue to make minor tweaks to the process from feedback from previous rounds.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
- The prize is granted half-annually to the top 3 contributors.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|4||Fees||Estimated Transfer Fees||NA||1||100||100||USD||Transfers are free when using paypal, anywhere between 10$-25$ when using Western Union (paypal is not available in most area countries)|
Total cost of projectEdit
- 1800 USD
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
- 1800 USD
Additional sources of revenueEdit
- Currently not available
- None at the moment, but we might ask for the foundation financial assistance to transfer the monetary prize in case of complicated cases where paypal or other conventional money transfer methods are restricted.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Producer prize is very well known, and reputable among the community of Arabic Wikipedia, it has well maintained public pages, and regular announcements of activities and results.
- First half of 2015 prize page
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.