Grants:PEG/Shared Knowledge/WikiWomen Macedonia/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- Photographs from the sessions of this project, can be viewed on this category on Wikimedia Commons.
- The main activities of the project included the organization of 28 sessions (one more than the previously planned 27 sessions) in form of edith-a-thons and training for women in two cities in Macedonia, Skopje and Kumanovo. We planed to finish everything in the two months of April and May, but due to circumstances beyond our control (e.g. protests) we had to reschedule sessions in June as well. The target attendance was women of several organizations in Macedonia. They were educated through a step-by-step course (hands-on) on how to edit Wikipedia and edited Wikipedia articles during the planned edit-a-thons. Our part was to have an almost every day contact with organization's coordinators, to find a venue for the women, provide logistics, go through the teaching process with them, check the articles, answer all the questions of participants, etc.
- On the day of giving certificates, the project appeared on one local TV in Kumanovo, and on one web portal - Twenty women from Kumanovo were part of the project Wiki women
- Facebook page with 168 likes.
- What worked well?
- We had more than one organizations which wanted to collaborate on this project. Women were interested, they learn how to edit an article, how to upload image, how to fix template etc. Many of them come several times on session, and we have at least five of them which come on nine sessions. We have women editors which were not active any more, but started again because of the campaign.
- What didn't work?
- We had several women who come on the sessions only to have a fun and not to learn. They didn't know what kind of article they want to edit, spent hour or more just in searching Wikipedia. Also, twice we had new woman editor blocked for a day by admins on other language Wikipedia (Albanian and Lithuanian Wiki) just for a little change they made there. This was a huge problem for us, because we have to communicate with editors from these wikis and make efforts to save this articles.
- What didn't work well also was timing: April and May were not enough, so we continued in June. It was because of several holidays, but mostly because of Kumanovo and Skopje political events, protsests, shooting etc. political events like protests, shootings, etc.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- We will not organize so intense sessions, as we did it this time: three times a week was very intense. Next time we will spread sessions once in a week and more sessions outside the capital.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- at least 150 female editors are educated on how to edit Wikipedia;
- at least 5% of them remain active editors on Wikipedia in the first year;
- at least 150 new articles are created by the participants in the project;
- establishing cooperation with at least 2 female organisations.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Not all of them, but yes, we achieved the goal.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|150 female editors||56 female editors, 4 of them returnee, didn't edit several years||We encouraged them to come in multiple sessions, so the number of editors went down|
|5% of them remain active editors||20% of them are active out of sessions||Good percent we hope will remain like this|
|establishing cooperation with at least 2 female organisations||We signed 2 Memorandum for collaboration|
|new female members of Shared Knowledge||we received 6 application forms for admission to Shared Knowledge||this target was not planed|
|150 new articles||210 new articles and 39 improved, 21 uploaded photos|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||0||According to Wikimetrics; this is expected because we teach and attract only new women to our sessions.|
|2. # of new editors||50/52||According to Wikimetrics; According to our project page for the project it has 56 users, but 4 of them are editor who make return on Macedonian Wikipedia.|
|3. # of individuals involved||63||According to our project page for the project; we had a 56 users who came one or more times on our sessions, three organisers for this project and four women from the organisations which role was to coordinate inside their organisations and find and attract new editors.|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||21 uploaded photos||Calculate by ourselves; this pictures are mainly uploaded on the Commons by a few users, which was interested into|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||210 new articles, two of them on other language Wikipedia, 39 improved||According to Wikimetrics women in this project made 210 new articles about many different themes and also on three different languages|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||1.548.389 bytes||According to Wikimetrics women in this project added 1.548.389 bytes (absolute value of bytes) to all Wikimedia projects.|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Our conclusion after finishing the project is that the project is very successful. Many women (now contributors on Wikipedia) are interested and learn something new. We know that women were motivated in editing, because we asking them every time after the sessions do they find editing to be interesting. From them we received many questions about their contributions and also they said that they will continued with editing after the sessions.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- We improved editor diversity by recruiting new editors from a target group, i.e. women.
- We educated new editors with a plan for follow-up and mentorship, i.e. all admins of MK Wikipedia are available for new editors, plus the new editors are encouraged to ask three admins any question any time on e-mail, on the phone or by Facebook or other kind message.
- The quality of new articles created through the project were checked by three admins on mk.Wikipedia.
- We established partnerships with new organizations. New editors were invite to be part of the projects by their organizations.
- Spreading the word about Wikimedia projects to a general audience was accomplished: we had brief presentation about the project on popular TV show. On the day of giving certificates, the project appeared on one local TV in Kumanovo, and on one web portal - Twenty women from Kumanovo were part of the project Wiki women
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
PLACEHOLDER TEXT. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Certificates||Certificates for every woman who attend the sessions.||per person||60||1.08||65||125||EUR||The amount includes preparation and taxes. We have savings of 60 EUR, which together with unexpected expenses we spent for plus one session / edith-a-thon and to make social event while giving the certificates in Skopje and Kumanovo.|
|2||Edith-a-thons / sessions||Expenditures for sessions, including refreshment for attenders.||session / edith-a-thon||28||100||2800||1350||EUR||We paid only half of the amount (1350 EUR), other half was covered by organizations (total: 28 sessions multiple 100 euros = 2800). We managed to have 28 sessions, i.e. one plus for the same money.|
|3||Project management||Expenditures of our partnering organizations coordinators.||Per person||6||100||600||600||EUR|
|4||Project management||Expenditures of our members who will spend money and time to work on the sessions.||Per person||3||400||1200||1200||EUR|
|5||Travel costs||Public transport in and between two cities, including travel for persons from village to the city||n/a||n/a||n/a||190||190||EUR|
|6||Taxes||10% taxes for 6 persons honorarium.||per person||6||11%||198||198||EUR|
|7||Unexpected expenses||The amount is to cover unexpected expenses.||n/a||n/a||n/a||100||100||EUR||We use this money and the savings of first paragraph for two celebration events, in Kumanovo and Skopje, on which we give certificates to the women. Note: Organizations provide a venue and paid the rest of the money for this events.|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Half of the amount for sessions was covered by organizations we collaborate with.
- We also get venue for free in Skopje and Kumanovo, for the event of giving the certificates.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT