Grants:PEG/SarahStierch, HstryQT, Peteforsyth - GLAM-WIKI US/GLAMcamp DC
- Legal name of chapter
- GLAMwiki US (not a formal organization);
Wiki Strategies, fiscal agent (Pete Forsyth's consulting business)Pete Forsyth, fiscal agent
- Grant contact name
- Sarah Stierch (User:SarahStierch), Lori Phillips (User:HstryQT), Pete Foryth (User:Peteforsyth)
- Grant contact title (position)
- Event planners, Wikimedians, Wikipedians in Residence
- Project lead name
- Sarah Stierch (User:SarahStierch) & Lori Phillips (User:HstryQT). Pete Forsyth as facilitator.
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Event planners, Wikimedians, Wikipedians in Residence. Pete Forsyth as facilitator.
- Full project name
- GLAMcamp DC
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- February 10, 2012
- Provisional completion date
- February 12, 2012
Note: We propose that lunch, dinner, incidentals, and local transit passes for each participant be provided as a lump-sum payment at the beginning of the conference. Each participant would sign a receipt upon distribution, but receipts for individual purchases would not be collected. This would amount to $3,675, assuming 25 participants, as follows:
- 3 days x $45 per diem (lunch, dinner, incidentals) = $135/person
- 3 days x $4 METRO passes = $12/person
- 3 day total per person = $147
- $147 x 25 participants = $3,675
|Venue||Venue, including WiFi, AV, cleaning, and security is provided as an in-kind donation by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).||0|
|Accommodations||Cost per night for Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights at Hostelling International||32||3||20||1920|
|Sunday night stay for estimated 10 participants||32||1||10||320|
|Food & incidentals ||Lunch, dinner, incidentals||45||3||25||3375|
|Local transportation||$2 METRO fare estimated per trip; two trips per person per day||4||3||25||300|
|Travel ||Cost estimate is for average air/rail fare from various locations.||500||8||4000|
|Miscellaneous||Snacks, beverages, meeting supplies|
| Based on GSA standard per diem rate of $71 for Washington DC, composed of: $12 breakfast, $18 lunch, $36 dinner, $5 incidentals. Breakfast is included in hostel rate, resulting in $59 base per diem rate; used 75% of per diem rate, or $45, per WMF request.
 Wikimedia NYC is expected to fund travel for participants from its region.
 See talk page for approved increase. This should not affect the total amount, as other spending has come in sufficiently under budget to accommodate this increase.
GLAMcamp DC is a GLAM meeting/workshop for Wikimedians active in outreach within the United States to cultural institutions. It is modeled after the 2011 GLAMcamp NYC and is intended to consist of around 25 participants. Rather than an open community conference like Wikimania, GLAMcamp DC is a workshop that targets a small group of community-focused and technology-focused Wikimedians to continue and solidify the key elements of the GLAM-Wiki project, with special focus on the United States. Attendees will also include key representatives of GLAM (and related) institutions who have an existing relationship with Wikimedia. Project organizers Lori Phillips and Sarah Stierch will guide participants in creating the materials listed under the "measures of success" section, supported by a volunteer facilitator.
Wikimedians who are active in the GLAM-Wiki community in the United States will receive priority for assistance with funding, followed by those Wikimedians who are highly interested in becoming more involved. Other Wikimedians not requiring financial assistance are welcome to attend, so long as we have not reached our cap for participation (due to space limitations and the goal for this to be an efficient, manageable group.)
Those with some, not all, of the following characteristics will receive priority in funding...
- People with direct involvement with a GLAM institution, either as a Wikipedian in Residence or in a similar outreach capacity.
- People who were active and efficient at previous GLAMCamps.
- People with experience generating case studies and other forms of documentation.
- People with technical experience to develop and improve tools associated with GLAM.
- People with a track record of taking initiative and completing projects.
- People who intend to remain involved in the GLAM community and future outreach efforts.
To bring together Wikimedians and GLAM representatives active in GLAM-Wikimedia partnerships to further develop programming, documentation and outreach infrastructure essential to continuing and building GLAM partnerships within the United States. In addition to establishing strategies and goals specific to the US GLAM initiative, this event will build upon the work completed at GLAMcamp Amsterdam, further enforcing the objectives of the GLAM-Wiki community as a whole.
This event will help to unify Wikimedians and GLAM representatives with common goals to further the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation through the GLAM-Wiki initiative. This specifically addresses the following objective in the Strategic Plan:
- Provide support to the Wikimedia movement in the development of institutional partnerships: Provide project funding for efforts to connect Wikimedia projects with the work of institutions of culture and learning.
Measures of successEdit
Note: These goals could vary after the completion of GLAMcamp NL.
- The creation/improvement of 7 model projects:
- Undertaking an image donation
- Improving the quality of OCR
- Improving and using Wikipedia articles for an exhibition
- Engaging a different language or cultural community
- Creating a Wikipedian in residence program
- Running Edit-a-thons
- Updating your institution's article
- Improvement of the case studies landing page and further expansion and improvement of 4 case studies and the creation of 1 new study.
- Two new recommendation letters from GLAMs about partnerships for success stories to be scanned and uploaded onto outreach.
- Improvement and expansion of the success stories landing page.
- Create a "potential partners" list developed by outreach Wikimedians, featuring 10 outreach opportunities for the US.
- Clean up and improvement of the GLAM tools and request page.
- The completion and implementation of the mass uploader.
- Report of event for This Month In GLAM.