Grants:PEG/Prospective Wikimedia Community User Group Nigeria/New editors recruitment training program
- To increase the number of editors from Nigeria across the six geopolitical zones
- To facilitate contents creation on a wide range of topics related to Nigeria
- To create awareness on the model of Wikipedia
- To attract Nigerian Tertiary institutions into open communication and licencing.
- To improve on Nigeria related articles on Wikipedia.
- To support local content management in Wikipedia.
- To mobilize more editors to create articles in major local languages eg Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.
Wikimedians of Nigeria user group (UG NO) will conduct the training in various institutions largest auditorium or event hall. Students and academic staffs will be sent a circular by the institutions management through their Heads of department, to attend the training following a term of agreement in line with Wikimedia's missions and visions. Individuals and organization may also attend the training. We will create a project page for each of the institutions and write down a list of articles we need to create or edit before the training dates. In the course of the training, experienced Wikimedians will deliver a lecture on the principle of Wikipedia, basic wikitext, Wikimedia Commons and 5 to 10 Wikimedia project users and 4 curators from each institutions will assists attendees to edit Wikipedia or search multimedia files in Wikimedia Commons. We will ask all participants to create their Wikipedia accounts and a volunteer will be there to help with account creation and all participant will be asked to try editing on their device (Laptop or Smart phone) using their newly created accounts. The training will last for three days per institutions.
- Day 1 Students and academic staff will be lectured on how to becoming a Wikipedian.
- The lecture will focus on specific topics:
- Introduction to navigating Wikipedia: a five part guide to navigating Wikipedia. Introduction. Namespaces. Searching and redirects. Useful pages. Summary.
- Introduction to talk pages: a five part guide to using talk pages. Talk pages. User talk pages. Layout. Examples. Summary.
- Introduction to referencing: a five part introduction to referencing. Verifiability. Inline citations. RefToolbar. Reliable sources. Summary.
- Day 2
- Introduction to policies and guidelines: a four part guide to the rules. Policies and guidelines. Content. Conduct. Summary.
- Introduction to tables: a four part guide to putting tables in pages. Introduction to tables. Creating tables manually. Sortable tables. HTML and tables.
- Introduction to uploading images: a six part guide on uploading images. Introduction. Free content. Non-free content. Wikimedia Commons. Using an image. Summary.
- Introduction to the Manual of Style: a five part introduction to the Manual of Style. Links. Layout. Images. Citing. Consistency. Stability. Nuggets.
- Day 3
The training on the third day will focus on other resources resources including:
- Edit toolbar: how to use the edit toolbar while editing.
- VisualEditor user guide: how to use the VisualEditor.
- Media help: how to get media to work on your computer.
- Citations quick reference: a quick guide to using citations.
- Wikitext cheatsheet: a quick guide to wikitext.
- The Wikipedia Adventure: a guided tour with fun, interactive learning and practice
We expect to recruits 500 undergraduate students and academic staff from Nigeria
- Wikipedia English language version
- Wikipedia Yoruba language version
- Wikimedia Commons
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Increasing participation - We will collaborate with institutions to invite attendees. We will create on-line banner to advertise this project and probably publish it on the National Dailies
- Increasing qualities - We will print very short and easy explanations about Wikitext on papers. Experienced Wikimedia project users will help them to edit articles in accordance with Wikimedia projects's policies and guidelines.
- Increasing reach - Nigeria-related articles are poorly represented on Wikipedia. By recruiting 500 editors from Nigeria will bring about a great improvement.
- Contents - more useful and quality contents related to Nigeria will be readily available for millions of readers or visitors
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success. We expect the following results:
- attracting 50 contributors per institution and 500 in ten institutions
- leading to an idea endorsed by the various institution
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
- Radio Channel (Radio Lagos)
- News Punch (Online News Channel)
- Local television stations
- National Newspapers e.g The Punch Newspaper, Vanguard Newspapers
- Virtual community partners in the social network e.g facebook, Youtube
We had done a pilot edition in five secondary schools in the country withought a grant from the WMF. The program was tagged Wikipedia Adopt a School Series in Ngeria.
- Poor participation of students
- Solution: The host institutions will mandate the students and academic staff to participate in the training
- Poor tracking of records
- Solution: participants will be advised to attend training with their laptops and create their first articles during this training. We will also make sure that all trainings are organised by at least two skilled volunteers (so that they can help more efficiently) and that they will collect lists of participants' usernames.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Transportation for Wikimedians||participants||5||5||25.23 / 5000||126.15 / 25000||USD / NGN||The 10 Wikimedians resides within the country but in different state. This estimated amount will cover the transport of the Wikimedians from their respective state to the 10 selected institutions, which are also located in different states.|
|2||Food and Beverages||Launches and coffee breaks||participant||55 x 3days||150 /0.75||123.5 / 24750||USD / NGN||50 participant and 5 Wikimedians per day.|
|3||Living costs||Payment for hiring hotel||5||5||35.17 / 7000||175.85 / 35000 x 5 days=879.25/175,000||USD / NGN||10 Wikimedians will be lodged for 5 working days (from Monday to Friday). Although the training will last for 3 days per institutions but Wikimedians would have been around earlier for preparation before the training days|
|4||Contigencies||100/ 19905||USD / NGN|
|total amount per institution'||1228.9 / 244,855||USD / NGN|
|total amount for the ten institution'||12289/2448550||USD / NGN|
- Total cost of project
- 1228.9 USD / 244855 NGN. Per institutions and 12289 USD / 2448550 NGN for ten Institutions
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
12289 USD / 2448550 NGN
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- We need 5 polo shirts for 5 volunteers, 4 Wikimedia laptop backpack bags,
- We may need to publish a blog post on our project on WMF's blog. We will need help reaching out to the communications team at WMF to coordinate this.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.