Grants:PEG/Olaf Kosinsky/Wikipedians in European Parliament
Basic information Edit
Project details Edit
- Official project name
Wikipedians in European Parliament
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
February 2nd, 2014
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
February 7th, 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
Invite European Wikipedians and Commons photo- and videographer to come to the European Parliament in Strasbourg to take pictures and videos of European politicians to improve their articles. The date has been arranged by the European Parliament with the politicians in order to avoid interference with the upcoming elections and budget deliberations. As the next elections of the European Parliament are upcomin next may new articles and photos will receive additional attention.
Financial details Edit
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
1,3655 USD per EUR (Google conversion rate as per December 20th)
Project lead details Edit
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on
behalf of a group? INDIVIDUAL
- Project lead name
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position within group), if any
Goals and measures of success Edit
Project goal Edit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- for Wikimedia Commons: get a number of high quality, free licensed images of MEPs and the European Parliament
- for Wikipedia: photos for the articles of MEPs and the European Parliament
- for our movement:
- attention and positive impression by MEPs and staff of the European Parliament, contacts which might be helpful in our future for other projects
- exchange among Wikimedians from different countries while actually creating content
Measures of success Edit
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is.
You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed.
- Measures of success
- at least 1,000 new photographs of MEPs and the European Parliament overall
- at least 200 new photographs of MEPs which did not have pictures yet, incl. 200 Wikipedia articles with new images in several languages
- 100 new or better articles on MEPs in english plus 100 new articles in other languages in at least four other languages
- at least five different chapters involved (sending and supporting volunteers)
- similar projects start to happen in other countries due to transfer of ideas and experience how to do this kind of project
Project scope and activities Edit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- get in touch with European Parliament on an official basis, present the project idea and get approval - done
- secure support from European parties to be interested in the project and to invite their MEPs to participate - done
- agree on a timeframe with MEPs, parties and EP when such a project may happen - done - February 2nd - 7th, 2014
- secure basic funding for the project itself - this grant request
- coordinate with European chapters about support of local Wikipedians and loan of hardware - in progress, preliminary agreements received from WMAT, WMCH, WMFR, WMDE
- arrange cheap accommodation for volunteers near Strasbourg - in progress, awaiting quotes
- arrange daily transportation from accommodation to EP - projected, rented mini buses may be best option
- receive approval for funding
- confirm event towards EP and parties
- call for volunteers, volunteers request and get their participation approved by local chapter as per local processes - in progress
- mail to 764 MEP January 27th
- arrival on site, briefing and setup - February 2nd
- photo shooting, video creation - February 3rd - 6th (operation hours: Mon 15-21; Tue 8:30-21:30; Wed 8:30-21:30; Thu 8:30-14:00; total 37,5 hrs.)
- dismantling, debriefing - February 7th
- editing, upload - February 2nd ff.
- finalising budget, project report, grant report - ~February 28th
Budget and resources Edit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|List of all Expenses|
|1||Accommodation||cheap hotel incl. breakfast in Germany||night||5 n. x 45 pers.||60
|EUR||not far from Strasbourg but available and considerably cheaper than in the city, shared double rooms|
updated figure according to quote from Kehl Tourist Office
|2||Travel Costs||arrival / departure of volunteers||trip||2 t. x 45 pers.||100||9,000||EUR||return trip travel costs of volunteers coming to Strasbourg, estimated
|3||Catering||lunch / dinner||meal||8 m. x 45 pers.||20||7,200||EUR|
|4||Travel Costs||between hotel and EP||bus||4 b. x 7 days
1 b. x 4 days
|EUR||9 seat van incl. insurance|
local bus company which picks the group up in the morning and bring us back in the night
|5||Equipment||rent for additional equipment||lumpsum||1||2,500||2,500||EUR||contingency, in case additional equipment for photo or video will be
needed (such as lights, flash units, lenses...), should we need an insurance to cover the private equipment of the photographers we will pay it from this budget - availability of private equipment will increase the need for insurance but decrease the need for rented equipment, hence the amount needed should balance
|6||Make-Up||utilities and consumables||lumpsum||1||1,500||1,500||EUR||estimated amount based on experience from past projects, politicians
need to be styled for professional pictures, WMDE provides a make-up box with lights and mirrors, cosmetician students will take care of the process, item covers supplies needed
|7||Travel Costs||project management, preparation||lumpsum||1 trip||250||250||EUR||complete cost for one trip of the project manager before the actual
event, includes hotel and train ticket
|8||Communication Cost||project management, preparation||lumpsum||1||300||300||EUR||to cover roaming costs or purchase of a french prepaid SIM card|
|9||Marketing Material||t-shirts or shirts for volunteers||pc.||70||-||-||-||sponsors wanted: unified clothing for Wikipedians, 2 pc. per person
(as they will be weared one week long)
|10||Marketing Material||informational brochure for MEPs and visitors||lumpsum||1||200||200||EUR||brochure about Wikipedia / Wikimedia and this project to be given to
any interested person such as the MEPs
|List of projected Sponsoring|
|11||Grant||this WMF grant covering basic project costs||lumpsum||1||10,000||10,000||EUR||general cost which are not part of direct participation costs plus
contingency in case of problems - any remaining funds will be returned to WMF
|12||Chapter Support||travel support for volunteers from their local chapters||travel||45 pers.||700||31,500||EUR||return trip travel costs of volunteers coming to Strasbourg, estimated
|13||Chapter Support||borrowed equipment from hardware pools||-||-||-||-||-||DSLRs and flash units, background, video camera
|14||Sponsoring||shirts for volunteers||pc.||70||-||-||-||sponsors wanted: unified clothing for Wikipedians, 2 pc. per person
(as they will be weared one week long)
support participant with no chapter / chapters that can't afford travel support
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and
amounts funded Chapters and sponsors, as indicated in the full budget above.
Non-financial requirements Edit
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- Maybe the WMF would be able to provide the t-shirts for the volunteers?
- Small give-aways for the MEPs would be very nice to have (some pens,
stickers and pins).
- Some informal help to get more chapters involved, maybe a blog post on
WMF blog also directed to the general public.
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Similar projects have been done in Germany's and Austria's State Parliaments in the last years with high success, which was the door-opener to the European Parliament being interested in this project. Hundreds of pictures have been shot, videos have been made and Wikipedia articles improved.
- https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Landtagsprojekt (german)
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:12-07-17-landtagsprojekt-bayern-RalfR-005.jpg (single "making of" image in Munich, Bavaria)
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Landtagsprojekt (Commons Category to browse similar projects in the past, made by the same people requesting this grant), including hundreds of quality images (link) and two featured pictures
- https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Landtagsprojekt/Nutzung (Usage), about 10'000 times onwiki and 1'000 times offwiki, offwiki examples:
-  (en:French Parliament online)
-  (en:Die Welt)
-  (en:International Society for Human Rights)
-  (en:Frankfurter Rundschau)
-  (en:La Gazette de Berlin)
-  (de:Der Postillon)
-  (en:Europa-Union Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein)
-  (en:Pirate Party Germany, Schleswig-Holstein)
-  (en:Freedom Party of Austria, Salzburg)
-  (en:Forbes blog)
-  (en:WeatherNation TV)
-  (en:University of Giessen)
-  (en:The European (Magazine))
-  (en:Nature (journal) blog)
-  (en:Die Welt)
-  (en:Munich, official webpage)
-  (en:Landtag of North Rhine-Westphalia, president)
-  (en:Konrad Adenauer Foundation)
-  (en:The Washington Examiner)
-  (en:Tagesschau (Germany), online)
-  (en:Bayerischer Rundfunk, Oberfranken)
-  (en:Bild online)
-  (en:Süddeutsche Zeitung)
- http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Videoprojekt_im_Landtag_Mecklenburg-Vorpommern_2013 (Videos)
Chapters which have indicated their support:
- WMAT, WMCH, WMFR, WMDE, WMSE
A group of experienced Wikipedians who did several such projects in Germany and Austria exist in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. About twenty volunteers of this group already indicated their interest to participate in the EP project. These are needed as it is a challenge to handle so many persons (MEPs) in a short time, so the experiences are needed to train new volunteers. It's planned to integrate ten graduates from a cosmetics school in order to offer a professional make-up to the MEPs.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy Edit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects), Increasing our reach is the second goal of this project. Obviously the contact to the EP and the parties is a big outreach success by itself, which needs to be backed by a successful project (showing that we can actually deliver). The personal contact to the MEPs is very helpful, they will be able to talk to us and learn more about Wikipedia. Apart from that this project will certainly be a door-opener for other projects and be it just as a reference of a successful project that Wikimedia has done.
- participation (more people actually contributing), The potential to get new volunteers is low but not zero, by the personal contact to real Wikipedians some visitors might become more interested any might start editing. This is not the main goal of this project, though. There is definitely an impact on participation on people already being part of the community but not yet part of the network of people doing real-life projects together. There is a potential that online volunteers become offline volunteers when they receive the offer to participate in this project from their chapter.
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content) This is the first goal of this project. The direct outcome of this project will be a huge number of quality photographs of politicians, notable people having a Wikipedia article. We increase the content we have on Wikimedia Commons by getting images we did not have before and we improve the quality of Wikipedia articles by adding pictures and videos where there were none before and we might get comments on the Wikipedia articles by the described persons themselves which leads to corrections, we have experienced this in our State Parliament projects.
- credibility (more trust in our projects) We are sure that showing a face to the public is always helpful for creating trust. Delivering good work helps building trust as well, showing reliability. This is the reason why we plan to spend additional money on rented equipment and make-up - just to make sure we really have everything we need for a professional setup.
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward) Hopefully it acts as a precendence how chapter can do a project together.
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)? Better content helps maintaining a good userbase which is donating during our fundraisers.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
This project will benefit Wikimedia Commons and at least all European language Wikipedias as they should have articles on the MEPs which will be improved. It also benefits the community by bringing volunteers together in this project, creating new contacts and bonds and transferring knowledge.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
This project is a mix of improving our content and outreach. The cooperation with an organisation such as the EP may have an impact on future GLAM projects or may initiate such.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated
successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences. This project has its roots in the German community, started to replicate in Austria and is now being taken to an international level. By the participation of new volunteers from other countries they get first hand experience of how to implement such a project so they can replicate it in their country. Every country has politicians and other notable people we are interested in getting good multimedia content about them.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- transfer of experience
- initiation of new interesting projects in other countries
- positive feedback and impression to the public