- Legal name of chapter or nonchapter group
- Grant contact name
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Vikimanio attendance
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- October 20 2011
- Provisional completion date
- November 1 2011
|Description||USD (per person)||USD (total)||Description|
|Travel||1,500||3,000||Flight Brasília-Prague/Train Prague-Svitavy|
This year, Ĉeĥa Esperanto-Asocio (Czech Esperanto Association) and E@I will organize an event to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Esperanto Wikipedia. Vikimanio (Esperanto for Wikimania) is the first international Esperanto conference on WMF projects and will take place in Svitavy (CZE), in an Esperanto museum.
We will be talking in Vikimanio on two new Esperanto projects, launched in the last 12 months:
- Vikinovaĵoj (Wikinews)
- Vikifontaro (Wikisource)
CasteloBranco is the proposer and first sysop on these two projects. This talk aims to present the two new projects, its difference from Wikipedia and other Esperanto web resources on news and e-books, and how they can be useful for Esperantists and our organizations.
Another talking will be on Gender Gap. Casteliane will present some female groups in Brazil and discuss the opportunities in creating such gender groups inside the Esperanto associations around the world, in order to bring them to the projects by creating activities organized by them and for them.
Together, we will also discuss GLAM activities and the offline initiatives in general, by a proposed language cooperation group between chapters, working groups and Esperanto associations to share experiences on the real world.
With our participation, we aim to:
- bring new volunteers to Wikinews and Wikisource;
- start a ladies' group to discuss and bring more women to the WMF eo-projects in order to reduce our gender gap.
- begin an arragement between the working group Wikimedia Brasil and other working group/chapter (especially WM-CZ) in order to create a language-based cooperation alliance to improve the projects by offline initiatives around the world.
We would love to have a speak from Brion Vibber, who supported a lot the Esperanto projects and helped to create a solution for our special letters (ĉ, ĝ, ĥ, ĵ, ŝ, ŭ), which allow us to edit in any computer, with no need to special features or settings, only by typing them + "x" (c+x = ĉ). It was important for the usability of the projects, as other web resources in this language have that barrier on collaboration. We could open space for he to talk personally, or bring a recorded video or try and make a videoconference, maybe.
It would be great to have some Wikimedia merchandise from the Foundation to give away to attendants of the conference. As the conference is not been organized by a chapter or by the WMF, i think there will be probably not much of such material to distribute.
Fit to strategyEdit
The event is organized by Esperantist organizations (not by chapters or working groups), but it is strongly related to Wikimedia, because it's in commemoration of the 10th anniversary of Esperanto Wikipedia. Chuck Smith, the first user of eo.wiki has already confirmed his presence and will give the keynote adress.
There will be workshops and presentations directed to Esperantists with all levels of collaboration to Wikipedia and other WMF projects. There will be discussed some WMF strategic itens, like Gender Gap, Chapters (and Chapters cooperation), and offline initiatives, in order to involve all attendees in those issues.
There are Esperanto associations in more than a hundred countries, and they use Wikipedia as an important language resource, so they have a natural "real world" interaction that could help improve those projects.
Measures of successEdit
We will consider this project a success if:
- Wikinews reach 50 active contributors in November 30, 2011.
- Actual: 11 Best: 32 (November 2010, just-launched)
- Wikisource reach 10 active contributors in November 30, 2011.
- Actual: 1 Best: 6 (June 2011)
- At least 3 women sign & start a working group for reducing the gender gap in Esperanto projects.
- At least 3 people from 3 different chapters(-to-be) sign & start a working group for coordinate offline initiatives.