Grants:PEG/ARCHÉ/Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Romania/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
• Presentation at VSLO (article in Romanian)
• Edit-a-thon (wiki page)
• New articles writing contest (wiki page)
- What worked well?
• good level of images contributed to Commons
• good level of articles added to Romanian Wikipedia
- What didn't work?
• the number of participants was below expectations
• the impact of the photo exhibition was low, did not bring important visibility to the project
• collaboration with VSLO didn't bring any contributors to the project
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
• solve the budged in advance, for all actions and events, announce them in due time
• for important things (jury, events) rely on people who understand the project and care about it
• pick partners which can have synergy with the project
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
Continue to increase the amount of information on the historical monuments in Romania and improve the quality and quantity of Romanian contributors. By scheduling a real-life editing event (edit-a-thon) we will recruit new Wikipedians and teach them how to contribute.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
Yes, the goal was achieved: the amount of information on the historical monuments in Romania has improved (6000 new images, 343 new articles) and some new people contributed for their first time to a Wikimedia/Wikipedia project. The edit-a-thon, something we organized for the first time was what we consider a success.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|more than 6000 new images uploaded covering at least 500 new monuments||5609 images on Commons + 427 images on Romanian Wikipedia = 6036 total||above, but very close to the proposed goal|
|more than 200 participants||127 participants||this is a metric we failed to achieve. a possible explanation is the poor advertising before the competition started, which happened mainly because our grant application was late and we ran out of time|
|more than 5% of the participants will be involved in other Wikipedia-related activities||10 people in the Edit-a-thon, 6 in the article contest, 2 with general Wiki work||since the total number of participants was lower than expected, this was easy to achieve|
|3 real-life events - edit-a-thon, Wiki Weekend, an exhibition and an awards ceremony||Edit-a-thon, Wiki Weekend, exhibition + awards ceremony||we managed to organize all planed events|
|partnerships with other Romanian groups interested in open content||TBD||AlinaRamona, Savuleasca: we need your input here|
|one presentation about the work behind the monument database at the Photography&Film Festival VSLO2015||???||Savuleasca was in charge with this|
|25% of all images used on Wikipedia pages by the end of the year||>19%||according to Glamorous, 19.10% of images uploaded to Commons are used on Wikipedia. it does not count the images uploaded on Romanian Wikipedia, which should improve the percentage a bit. For reference, for the images from WLMRO 2014, the usage reported by Glamorous is 15.42%|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved|
|2. # of new editors|
|3. # of individuals involved||127||according to https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-stats/|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||1434||counted with GLAMorous for images uploaded to Commons|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||5609||total at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015_in_Romania|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||343||total at https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Concurs_de_articole_noi_pentru_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015_%C3%AEn_Rom%C3%A2nia#Rezultate|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||15814.3 Mbytes||according to https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-stats/ (does NOT count images added to Romanian Wikipedia)|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
Partially: some contributors had been enthusiastic, with increased motivation, while some others feel burned, with decreased morivation. This was learned from face to face conversation, email exchanges and public conversations in the Romanian language board
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
New images were added to Commons and new articles to Romanian Wikipedia. Part of the images came from first-time contributors. New contributors participated in the Edit-a-thon.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Coverage with photography and articles has increased for hystorycal monuments in Romania.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Social networks campaigns (a more successful one on Google Plus and a less successful one on Facebook) popularized the contest, Wikipedia and Commons. The photo exhibition and VSLO presentation helped either, even if in a more limited amount.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Contest organization||Prize money||Total||1||3338.00||3338.60||3800.00||RON|
|2||Contest organization||Banking fees||Transaction||24||3.00/4.00/6.00||97.00||100.00||RON|
|3||Contest organization||Promotional packages||Piece||55||25.00||1375.00||1375.00||RON||Total cost was 1860.40, but 485.40 was covered from another grant|
|5.b||Outreach||Edit-a-thon (prize money)||Prize||3||150.00/200.00/350.00||700.00||500.00||RON|
|6.b||Outreach||Wiki Weekend (prize money)||Prize||2||250.00/450.00||700.00||500.00||RON|
|9||Exhibition||Easels||Display system (e.g. magnets)||1||951.00||951.00||900.00||RON||Total cost was 1030.06, but 79.06 was covered from another grant|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 19975 RON
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 16775 RON
- Total amount spent on this project
- 20586.82 RON
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 16775 RON
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- 3233.44 RON (sponsorship from Ixia Romania)
- 578.38 RON (association's own funds)
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT