Grants:IdeaLab/Measure gender population statistics by project
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
There have been many attempts to estimate the percentage of female contributors to English Wikipedia. I'm not aware of any recent attempts to measure the same statistics for projects other than English Wikipedia. My hunch, based on anecdotal information, is that there may be higher percentages of female contributors on Wiktionary, and higher percentages of female contributors on all sites who participate in GLAM and Research projects. Sites and projects with higher percentages of female editors may be better situated for programs that further enhance female participation and serve as launching grounds for projects that affect English Wikipedia and other projects.
What is your solution?Edit
Conduct anonymous surveys of registered and non-registered contributors on sites other than English Wikipedia, and on contributors to GLAM, education, and research projects. If projects are identified with higher percentages of female contributors than the percentage found on English Wikipedia, investigate how and why that higher percentage exists, consider applying that information to strategies for English Wikipedia and other sites, and consider encouraging those existing female contributors to expand the reach of their contributions to other projects.
- I think this is a great idea. It could shed light on areas where the gender gap is worst, which might help prioritize solutions. Also, too often English Wikipedians forget that demographics in other projects and languages may be very different from those on English Wikipedia. This could be a good reminder that that is not the case. Libcub (talk) 01:23, 29 March 2015 (UTC)
- Studying the English Wikipedia is always trite and useless. I agree that studying sister projects, and languages other than English, is the only way to find innovative solutions for all wikis, including the English Wikipedia. --Nemo 07:07, 30 March 2015 (UTC)
- I think it's a great idea if it can be scoped realistically. We should look to other projects and countries and see if we can find successes we can take ideas from. Mooeypoo (talk) 23:59, 30 March 2015 (UTC)
- like it Supaiku (talk) 20:42, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
- Yes! Jane023 (talk) 20:47, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?