Grants:IdeaLab/Make Portal and WikiProject easier to create or moderate
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
- Now people use etherpad in a lot of wikimedia related meet ups to collaboratively working on the same document, but most of the time the pads are all scattered all over the place on Wikimedia Etherpad. And since it does not central login with Wikimedia Username, if we didn't jot down our etherpad link we can't retrieve it afterwards in any other way.
- We do have quite a few WikiProject and Theme Portals needs to have multiple tabs in the same page, however the page is not intuitively enough for people who don't know much of wiki markups to create.
What is your solution?Edit
- Make Wikimedia Etherpad have OAuth feature, so we can use contribution history of etherpad to retrieve the edits we had done.
- A group of Taiwanese hackers create an integration tool called hackfoldr. The hackfoldr is an intuitive way to gather multiple real-time edited pads onto single portals. It works on hackpad, and I think it won't be too hard to integrate this tool into Wikimedia Etherpad (if some developer can step in and help though).
- Maybe in the future we can integrate the etherpad folder feature with program and event dashboard.
- I am not into the technical aspect but I support the general effort, it is a good expertise for the future.−−Alexmar983 (talk) 14:18, 17 March 2016 (UTC)
- Great idea. WikiProjects on relatively rare topics do need support. Portals on smaller language versions also need assistance. Useful gadgets contribute a lot to the maintenance of WikiProjects and portals. Carrotkit (talk) 16:24, 18 March 2016 (UTC)
- Great idea. However the title is a bit misguiding, it's too general for the problem that's attempted to be solved here. Afaik en:WP:Wikipedia:WikiProject X is active in that area. Fixuture (talk) 22:44, 29 March 2016 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.