Who are the people you want to introduce Wikipedia to?Edit
- Tourists to the area
- General visitors
In what languages do they search for information, online or otherwise?Edit
- A local language
What are some reasons this group would use Wikipedia? How would they benefit from it, or what would they find useful?Edit
As the DYK hooks presented on the posters would be interesting, they tend to scan the QR codes, and read more about it.
What language Wikipedia projects will you promote to new readers?Edit
- Local Indic languages
Describe your idea to engage new readers. How might it be implemented? What will you tell people about Wikipedia?Edit
- This idea will help Wikipedia in three ways. Firstly, it'll increase the readership, secondly existing editors will acquire skills, and lastly, there'll be improvement of articles.
- In the first step, local authorities must be contacted for permission to display posters of Wikipedia with DYK facts.
- After obtaining the permission, a group of existing editors in the region are to be gathered (both from English and the regional language of the place).
- Following that, in the initial phase, select some articles related to the place, or the state, or India, and their histories etc. (say some fifteen articles related to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, or Indian history related articles etc.), and then the group of editors shall improve the articles to a decent standard.
- Once they're good enough, various interesting DYK hooks can be extracted from the articles, other relevant good articles, and posters are to be printed with the hook and some info about Wikipedia, and also QR codes for the same.
- After the logistics are done, these banners/posters will be showcased at various public attractions.
- The places where the banners/posters shall be displayed are to be chosen after good analysis. Places are to be chosen in a way that the people visiting place spend a good time at it.
- For example, even though some public statues are visited by many people, the time spent by them at the statue is too low for them to wait, read the DYK fact, scan the QR code etc.
- Waiting areas of airports, railway stations, bus stations, museums, libraries etc. will be a good choice to display these posters.
The success can be measured by tracking the article views before and after the project. At institutions, the impact can be measured by conducting specific surveys on awareness of Wikimedia projects.
Do you think you can implement this idea? What support do you need?Edit
The major breakthrough for this project is getting the permission from respective government authorities. It would be great if WMF can help in this regard.
About the idea creatorEdit
I am User:Krishna Chaitanya Velaga from India. I mostly contribute to English Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Wikimedia Commons, on military history topics.
- Volunteer I can help select articles and editing them. Shypoetess (talk) 17:46, 20 January 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer ,I would like to help in the project. :-Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 12:45, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Advisor Would be happy to support until I get enough time to volunteer. ƬheStrikeΣagle 02:54, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer QR Code related work Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 11:59, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
- This idea will make people curious and this curiosity will lead them to Wikipedia. Shypoetess (talk) 17:50, 20 January 2018 (UTC)
- Support It is indeed a good idea and should definitely be encouraged:-Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 12:47, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Good idea.It has the potential to help tourists , general public as well as Wikipedia Harvinder Chandigarh (talk) 17:43, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Seems like a great idea where the official information is scant ƬheStrikeΣagle 02:50, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- I support this idea and would like be volunteer for QR codes related work --Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 11:57, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?Edit
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschilling wikimedia.org for help!