Grants:Conference/UG KO/WikiConference Seoul 2017/Report
Did you meet your goals?
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|20 active users to participate in, including speakers||23 active users participated in, including speakers||It came from the guestbook. Six of total ten speakers were active users.|
|100 participants||78 participants||Actual participants were smaller than we expected. We think it was becuase the event was started in the morning, presentations about Wikidata were very technical, and some of presentations were delivered in English.|
|20 articles improved or created||4 articles improved or created||Originally, we planed to hold two editathons, but we hosted Wikidata query training instead of one of them.|
|one new project related to Wikidata||two Wikidata workshops and one Wikidata event||We hosted Wikidata workshops for KISTI staff and KAIST students with Asaf Bartov, and we supported Wikidata 5th birthday party in Seoul, after the conference finished.|
Next steps Edit
Please share a brief update about the status projects, important discussions and/or capacity building that took place at the event.
|Activities during the conference||2 months after the conference||6 months after the conference|
Were any significant issues your community discussed at the conference?
|Capacity Development: Please list capacity building sessions or workshops.||
||Survey participants 6 months after event -- how many people have used the skills they learned?|
|Projects or Working Groups:
What are the most important projects that were started or improved during the conference?
||Provide an update on projects that were started, or changes that were made as a result of work done at the conference.|
Conferences and events do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well at the event?
- We have enough time to prepare the venue and invited speakers, because we started five months before the conference. We could invite Yun Jong-su, the leader of Creative Commons Korea as we planed. We had a difficulty to find a person to explain Wikidata. Fortunately, Asaf Bartov visited to Seoul, and delivered an excellent Wikidata presentation and a Wikidata training. Thanks to Asaf, we could also host Wikidata workshops in Daejeon after the conference. We wanted to talk about relation between Wikidata and artificial intelligence technology, but we expected it would be very hard to find a speaker because it was very technical and professional. Thankfully, Dr. Kim Haklae agreed to deliver a presentation for the session.
- After the conference finished, we held a follow-up editathon in November. Two of total five attendees were the participants of the conference. We were very satisfied with the result of the editathon.
- We introduced the friendly space policy at the beginning of the conference. Fortunately, no serious incident happened.
- What did not work so well?
- First of all, We had never thought English speakers could attend our event, and we did not advertise the event in English communities. Surprisingly, one english user visited the event, and she said she noticed it via Facebook. We think if you had notified the event on the English Wikipedia, more English users could have attended.
- Second, although we considered to offer open spaces before we rented the venue, we could not do it because of the expense. One participant pointed it out after the conference. Another participant claimed presentations were too many and it made the participants tired.
- Third, we could invited speakers without heavy difficulties, but five of ten speakers were those who delivered presentations last year's conference.
- Finally, we planed to invite Katherine Maher, the executive director of Wikimedia Foundation, but we failed it because of her schedule. Thankfully, she sent us her celebration massage for 15th anniversary of Korea Wikipedia.
- What would you do differently next time?
- If there will be English presentations, we will advertise our event on English Wikimedia communities.
- We will offer open spaces for free talking and taking a break.
- We will find people who haven't delivered a presentation.
Financial documentation Edit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Budget table
Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions. Review the instructions here. These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Venue rent||Rooms||2,541,000||2,310,000||KRW||1,000,000 won were paid with our own funds|
|2||Equipment||Technical (projectors, etc.)||528,000||480,000||KRW|
|3||Equipment||Non-technical (chairs, etc.)||110,000||100,000||KRW|
|4||Travel||185,100||1,000,000||KRW||It was paid with our own funds|
|5||Food and beverages||Lunch||per person||100||8,900||890,000||1,000,000||KRW|
|6||Food and beverages||Snacks||56,250||69,000||KRW|
|7||Food and beverages||Beverages||per person||100||3,150||315,000||410,000||KRW|
|8||Food and beverages||A ceremonial cake||1 piece||1||130,000||130,000||100,000||KRW|
|9||Souvenirs||T-shirts Wikipedia-logo printed||1 piece||100||2,800||280,000||368,000||KRW|
|10||Souvenirs||Hats Wikipedia-logo printed||1 piece||100||5,500||550,000||605,000||KRW|
|11||Miscellaneous materials (banners, etc.)||227,150||270,000||KRW|
- Summary of funding
Total project budget (from your approved grant submission):
- 7,383,200 KWR
Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission):
- 5,383,200 KRW
Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above):
- 5,814,000 KRW
Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project:
- 4,628,900 KRW
Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- We spent our own fund.
- Remaining funds
Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 754,300 KRW
Anything else Edit
Is there anything else you want to share about the conference or event?