Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 2/Wikimedia Norge/Staff proposal assessment
As decided at the end of last fiscal year (2017-2018), we have implemented a lightweight approach for Round 2 2018-2019 of Annual Plan Grants - General support. This will enable all participants to direct resources toward better alignment with the Wikimedia Strategic Direction. Applicants and staff have worked together between January to May. Staff offered feedback on past reports and plans, and worked with applicants to develop their upcoming annual plans. Organizations submitted lightweight summaries of their annual plans which are the basis for these funding recommendations. These recommendations are informed by the decision not to increase funding from last year's FDC recommendations. There is an exception for emerging communities outside of Europe. In this round, Wikimedia Indonesia and CIS were eligible for increased funding, and only Wikimedia Indonesia has requested a grant increase.
Working with organizations in a more systematic way to develop their annual plans has allowed:
- better alignment with the movement strategy direction, achieved by working closely with organization to develop their annual plans;
- funding capped at last year's level has prompted organizations to review and rethink some of their priorities, or to focus on securing external funding opportunities, and;
- a more thoughtful approach to grants metrics (focused on participation and content) and their use, including more qualitative metrics.
This lightweight approach has been adapted from the previous round. This round includes five annual plan summaries for the next grant period. Recommendations and remarks made by the FDC and staff in previous years have been taken into account by the organizations.
Text for approval - Wikimedia NorgeEdit
- Wikimedia Norge (WMNO): Requesting approval for 1,970,000 NOK (~$230,000). WMNO is continuing to evolve their work according to the Wikimedia Strategic Direction and emergent thinking about movement strategy. WMNO has been a leader among Wikimedia Chapters with respect to their emphasis on gender diversity, and this is reflected in both the organization’s culture and their evaluation plans. This emphasis on gender diversity now extends from the board leadership level, through to program design and implementation.
- Maintaining an active chapter in Norway may bring important benefits to the movement in the long term. WMNO has presented a plan that showcases the value they can potentially bring to the international movement over the next several years, through their progress engaging prominent partners in the Norwegian GLAM sector (at the national level) and broader civil society (at the international level). Their plan positions them for impact that extends beyond the Wikimedia world. Delphine (WMF) (talk) 21:28, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
Approved by the Executive Director 22 May 2019