Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 2/Wikimedia Armenia/Proposal form
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Wikimedia Armenia would like to apply for an Annual Plan Grant of 137,915,000 AMD (267,400 USD) from the Wikimedia Foundation for the period July 1, 2019 to June, 31 to cover its following programs: Quality content, Community empowerment, Education, Western Armenian + Organizational Development.
WMAM has developed its programming in a way, that every program direction is deeply tied with other directions. We engage people to contribute to quality content thus enlarging and empowering the Armenian Wikimedia Community. The Education program is aimed at spreading the Wikimedia values through educational institutions, supporting engagement of new volunteers to our community and contributing to quality content. WMAM will continue experimenting and testing new projects and approaches to better work towards our strategy implementation.
Wikimedia Armenia is an active player in Armenian civil society promoting free knowledge and access to innovative education. It is a mature organization in terms of its programs and the staff capacity, but has a long way to go for institutionalization of that experience and the capacity. We will continue working on improvement of our Bylaws and the necessary internal policies in the coming year. Partnership with Armenian General Benevolent Union and Yerevan 2800 Cultural Foundation enabled WMAM to learn new reporting mechanism, which we never used before. AGBU required monthly detailed financial report and quarterly programmatic reports, which WMAM managed to submit in high quality and became the best grantee of the organization among dozens of other organizations. As a result of our good performance on project implementation and reporting, WMAM was invited by the AGBU to participate in International Civil Society Week - 2019 (by CIVICUS) in April 2019 in Belgrade, Serbia and present its work done and the partnership with the AGBU.
In 2017-2018 reporting year, we adopted a strategy to support quality content. We focused on a broad range of activities related to the production, access, and usage of the quality content. We developed new approaches about the ways we engage quality content editors, resources we create to support the editing process, and more. In all projects we implemented - GLAM, Wiki Loves Science, accessibility or digitization project - a great stress was laid to generate quality content. With the same strategy, WMAM will work towards having a more trustful and reliable Armenian Wikipedia, making quality content an integral component of all programs.
The upcoming year, as a part of the quality content program, Wikimedia Armenia will continue building a solid foundation with GLAM and other data donor institutions for effective communication and collaboration with a clear understanding of what needs to be accomplished. Our previous experience, especially with “Wiki Loves Yerevan” project, explored better ways of approaching and collaborating with GLAM institutions. However, as our resources are limited, this year we will establish new separate partnerships with different GLAM institutions of Armenia, such as Komitas Museum, Yervand Kochar Museum, Stepan Shahumyan Museum.
For the first time Wikimedia Armenia began a large scale collaboration with both educational and education supporting institutions. This allowed us to increase the number of student editors which in its turn promoted the quality content creation. In the upcoming funding period Wikimedia Armenia will continue deepening its partnership with those establishments, as well as will seek new ones.
We have revised our approach to working with the community. We emphasize the importance of community members to be active players in decision making in the organization and stress this during all our meetings with the community. WMAM created several opportunities for their participation in the annual plan design and ensure proper reporting of the work done during the year. We will continue and deepen this practice and encourage their participation. The organization will work towards the capacity improvement of the community both related to the organizational structures and also to their role in Armenian Wikipedia.
Wikimedia Armenia was quite successful in terms of diversifying its financial resources during the previous financial year. In addition to Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, we have now the Armenian General Benevolent Union (Bridge for CSOs program funded by the European union) and Yerevan 2800 Cultural Foundation among our donors. We will put more efforts into fundraising from institutional donors. We will actively promote our online fundraising platform http://donate.wikimedia.am to engage individual donors from Armenia and Diaspora. For several years sponsors of WikiClubs were financing the WikiClubs directly. Since 2018 they started to donate to Wikimedia Armenia thus ensuring more financial flow to the organization and enabling us to ensure WikiClubs’ operations more professionally. We will actively work with donors to ensure they get proper reports and information about their sponsored WikiClubs.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: «Վիքիմեդիա Հայաստան» գիտակրթական ՀԿ
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 07/01/2019-06/30/2020
- Currency requested: AMD
- Name of primary contact: Susanna Mkrtchyan, Gayane Vardanyan
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||156,069,000||293,386|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||137,915,000||267,400|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||133,727,000||267,454|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
Prior to development of our current annual plan we have organized several community discussions with active Wikipedians and collected their ideas on further expansion of Wikimedia Movement in Armenia. At the discussions everyone reflected on the work done by WMAM and made suggestions on future initiatives. In March 2018, WMAM hired an independent consultant to carry out a research among our community members and to reveal their view on our projects, their concerns, and suggestions for improvement. This report also became a resource for designing of our activities.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Annual plan summaryEdit
- Total expenses by programs and sections.
|Section||Total amount (AMD)||Total amount (USD)|
|Requested from WMF||137,915,000||267,400.00|
- Total expenses overall.
|Expense type||Total amount (AMD)||Total amount (USD)|
|Operations (exluded staff and programs)||17,980,000||35,960.00|
Monitoring and EvaluationEdit
Annually, WMAM sets a series of indicators to understand the progress of the work. While setting this year’s metrics, we have revised some of them based on our last year’s experience.
We have defined five grant metrics, three of them are constant for all the programmatic directions - number of participants, newly registered users, and content pages. Two other grant metrics are activity-specific and unique for each activity direction. These specific metrics are not possible to represent in accumulated way, that’s why only constant metrics are provided below for each programmatic direction.
|Program||Participants||Newly registered||Content pages|
|Quality Content Program||360||71||19541|
|Western Armenian Program||50||5||260|
|TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS||2003||361||33943|
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.