Future e-mail notifications
Placeholder because of office hours.
Inventory of current email notificationsEdit
- I think you should ask for permission before sending such emails to inactive users.
- Of course asking for permission is, itself, an e-mail
- May be capable with some sort of "necromancy" flag that block sending of notifications to these users until the user is active again
- And we should ask by sending a first email to all.
- Consider notifying users about notifcations with a link to the options to opt-out
- The above is another reason to provide global preferences
- The feature should definitely be made opt-in only.
- I'm not sure the above is realistic
- Since there are more notifications in the future, consider an user preference: "opt out of all new notification types by default"
- Opt-out link should be added at the bottom any notification e-mail
- This may not be a legal requirement (a la CAN-SPAM) due to this not being considered a "marketing message" in the US, so opt-out can be behind password (unlike CAN-SPAM requirements)
- We'll need to provide opt-out on some sort of "per notification type" basis
- If we do across notifications rollup, opt out link behavior needs to be worked out
- Avoid combinatorial explosion in user-preferences
- Some sort of global preference needs to be ported here as it is unrealistic to ask the user to visit every wiki to opt-out.
- E-mail format?
- Plaintext + HTML?
- HTML option?
- Next Steps
- Contact by creating a topic page on meta (with some designs)
- logistics of informing the other communities?
- Inform ComCom to add to wikimedia highlights?