FOSDEM 2005 - Planning
On Februari 26/27 2005 there will be another Fosdem (Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting) show in Brussels (Belgium). This is an important Linux show in Europe.
Chat sessions to prepare FOSDEMEdit
Monday January 31 2005 20:00 CET irc://freenode.net/wikimedia-fosdemEdit
People attending the chatEdit
- oscar 22:45, 25 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- GerardM 22:46, 25 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Jimbo Wales 22:52, 25 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Jeroenvrp 19:11, 31 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Monday February 7 2005
20:00 UTC 20:30 UTC irc://freenode.net/wikimedia-fosdemEdit
People attending the chatEdit
- Walter 20:09, 7 Feb 2005 (UTC)
What are our main goals attending FOSDEM?Edit
According to the last schedule I saw, I am giving the keynote speech. In that speech, I plan to try to get people excited about becoming developers -- software and system admins. Toward that end, everyone should try to talk to developers about what they think we need the most, the most fun possible jobs, the least fun possible jobs, and post them here. --Jimbo Wales 23:02, 25 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Staffing the standEdit
- Looxix: I can come to help to set up the stand, and attend during a part of the WE (say 1 half-day + a few hours the other day).
Materials/Presentations needed on the standEdit
As it is a show for people with open source savvy, we could have a list of "vacancies" skills in demand for hacking mediawiki and in aiding the operations of the wikimedia servers.
We could have IRC open or skype so that people can talk to some of our developers.
We could have a list of skills that we would really like to add to our developer team. Things like SAN ??
Do we have a "press-kit" ?? Do we have standard show-presentations that can run on a monitor withour much attendance ??
- There is no press-kit, so we should start one. (info Jimbo 10/1/05)
Dressing up the boothEdit
- Large posters with the diverse logos, wikipedia, meta, etc. /poster idea
- - I have a large format printer - happy to produce a couple of large prints and send them for you to collect in Brussels. (email@example.com)
- Large pictures of wikipedians meeting on the wall.
- Some nice music to accomodate guests?
- Continually running presentations on a screen? Video?
- More or less casually dressed wikipedians with more or less professionally looking badges.
- A guest-book (why not a meta page for this purpose?).
I will send Walter some leaflets in french, I have about 150 available (did not counted them though). Updated last week. A4 in color to fold in two (you'll have to fold them). I will send the pdf version to Elian as well in case more is needed. Anthere
Computers on the standEdit
- When people take their computer to the show, can it be insured for the show ??
- A high-speed internet connection is needed, and a LAN with at least 4 computers.
- LAN access should be provided, it's probably wise to bring a hub/switch).
- Is there a budget, since FOSDEM will probably charge rent!?
What will be availableEdit
We have received confirmation that a stand is reserved for us but no other details for the moment.
What we should have is:
- the stand: one or several tables (+- 1 by 2 meters) with a wall or a window where we can put posters.
- LAN access (if we need several connection, it's probably wise to bring a switch/hub, but maybe these can be borowed from the organisation).
- Wifi should also be provided.