Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Budget
|The budget of Wikimania Esino Lario is currently 435'000 euro with a confirmed contribution of 200'000 euro from Wikimedia Foundation, 190'000 euro from Cariplo Foundation and contributions from Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus / Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Wikimedia Italia, Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera, ODL, A+E Milano srl. All expenses will be fully reported with receipts and reports of payments within the project Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online (in Italian).|
|Coffee breaks preconference||Food||€5||700||2||€7.000||$8.736|
|Coffee breaks conference||Food||€5||1000||3||€15.000||$18.720|
|Welcome reception/party and closing party||Food||€13||1000||2||€26.000||$32.448|
|Accommodation+breakfast for organizers, volunteers, guests||Participants||€15||200||5||€15.000||$18.720|
|Transport for organizers, volunteers, guests||Participants||€ 50||200||€10.000||$12.480|
|Busses from the airports||Participants||€ 450||8||3||€10.800||$13.478|
|Insurance + SIAE||Venue||€10.000||$12.480|
|Meeting rooms (staircases for security, electrical system check, rented forniture, cleaning)||Venue||€30.000||$37.440|
|Equipment rental/A-V expense||Technical||€13.000||$16.224|
|Audio visual, recording and uploads (no streaming planned)||Communication||€4.000||$4.992|
|Registration packet (lanyards, badge holders, bag, t-shirts, conference brochure)||Communication||€10||1000||€10.000||$12.480|
|Registration (charges for the system, rental of equipment for the on-site registration and badges)||Organization||€3.205||$4.000|
|Staff (management, communication consultant)||Organization||€ 16.026||$20.000|
|Contingency/Misc. Expenses||Organization||€ 8.090||$10.096|
Currency exchange 1 euro = $1,248
Financial plan edit
|The budget of Wikimania Esino Lario is currently 435'000 euro with a confirmed contribution of 200'000 euro from Wikimedia Foundation, 190'000 euro from Cariplo Foundation and contributions from Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus / Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Wikimedia Italia, Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera, ODL, A+E Milano srl. All expenses will be fully reported with receipts and reports of payments within the project Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online (in Italian). Please check the procedure "How to credit people and institutions involved in Wikimania Esino Lario" for updates on sponsors and supporters.|
Fundraising for Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 has started.
- Confirmed Secured a technical support for communication materials of a value of 3'000-5'000 euro by the company A+E Milano srl.
- Declined Secured a support from Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus of 10'000 euro in the frame of the project "Villa Clotilde Expo 2015".
- Declined Secured a support from the Esino Lario City Council of 10'000 euro in the frame of the project "Villa Clotilde Expo 2015" (3'000 euro in-kind staff of the tourist office).
- Confirmed Secured a support from ODL company of 5'000 euro.
- Confirmed Secured support in-kind staff Wikimedia Italia during the event (not included in the budget).
- Confirmed Secured support in-kind staff Comunità montana for excursions during the event (not included in the budget).
- Declined Requested a support from Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia for 80'000 euro for the renovation of the former cinema which will be used during Wikimania (decision around March 2015).
- Confirmed Requested support in-kind staff Wikimedia CH during the event.
- Confirmed Presented the pre-project and project (24/12/2014) to Cariplo Foundation with a request of 200'000 euro (decision expected around March 2015).
- Declined Started the discussion with Telecom Italia – a major Italian communication company - for the technical support to Esino Lario connectivity during Wikimania.
- Declined Started the discussion with a major international lightening company for a technical support to Esino Lario lightening (buildings and outdoor).
It is also important to mention that we are already benefitting from the support of a lot of people. We took advantage of a lot of volunteer work, we had the contribution of Wikimedia Italia to cover the cost of a dedicated person to help us with the planning, we had reduced prices from restaurants, bars, hotels and dorms; people are providing their apartments for a reimbursement; the Esino Lario city council and private owners are providing meeting rooms for free and some apartments owners are also giving us their flats and houses for free. A nice story is a lady that at the very beginning of the planning immediately signed the support to the event, gave her entire beautiful villa in Esino Lario for free, and she also offered to give us 1'000 € / 1'371 $ to support the event.
Request to Wikimedia Foundation and support edit
We made a request to Wikimedia Foundation of 200'000 euro provided by Wikimedia Foundation to Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus, lead institution of Wikimania Esino Lario 2016.
- Contract Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimania 2016.
- Report specifically related to the support of 200'000 euro provided by Wikimedia Foundation to Wikimania 2016.
Wikimedia Foundation grant covered the specific costs of the event. Even if not directly associated to territorial development, the grant from Wikimedia Foundation has supported grant-seeking as a co-funding, with a multiplier effect which created benefits for a broader audience. Furthermore the expenses associated to territorial development relate to connectivity, accessibility and collaborative work.
Wikimedia Foundation has furthermore paid to the Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario.
- accommodation, food and transport from and to the airport for the scholarship receipts
- accommodation and food and transport from and to the airport for Wikimedia Foundation staff (in Esino Lario and at Villa Monastero in Varenna)
- a partial payment of 2000 $ for a catering costed 2400 euro and requested for IdeaLab.
- the cost of 4000 euro (- the exact amount needs to be checked) for the badges used during Wikimania, which Wikimedia Foundation agreed to produce but it could not guarantee the delivery on time so we produced them.
Wikimania Foundation has furthermore provided
- the ribbons used during Wikimania Esino Lario
- the support of the event coordinator Ellie Young, managed directly by Wikimedia Foundation
- the support of the coordinator for the registrations Stuart Prior, managed directly by Wikimedia Foundation
- the support of its legal team for the use of Wikimania trademark
- the trademark agreement with Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus for managing Wikimania Esino Lario trademark.
- a trademark quick license for the sponsors and partners involved in Wikimania Esino Lario.
Planned income from registrations edit
- See also: Costs/Participants.
We initially planned to make attending Wikimania sessions and events free of charge but for the event we had to charge € 1 to register people also for insurance purposes. Thanks to the registration we were able to properly plan and implement the event, and the registration fee managed lunch but also accommodation and other expenses related to participants (including dinner). This approach had the advantage that scholarships, institutions supporting specific participants (i.e. Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia chapters, university fund) and participants will pay for a cost associated directly to their participation. Differently from other venues in which catering is basically a fixed cost, at Wikimania Esino Lario we took advantage also of restaurants and bars, which allows the cost to be reduced if the number of participants is less. The estimated cost of lunch in the budget corresponded to the planned income from registrations (and it can decrease accordingly); during Wikimania we created different kind of fees according to the number of days and if accommodation and meals were requested.
|Wikimedia Foundation||€ 200.321||$250.000|
|Communication materials sponsor AE Milano||€ 5.000||$6.240|
|Contribution Associazione Amici del Museo Grigne (permanent equipment)||€ 10.000||$12.480|
|Contribution sponsor ODL||€ 5.000||$6.240|
|Participants registration fee||€ 50||1000||€ 50.000||$62.400|
|Transport from the airport to the venue paid by participants when they register||€450||8||3||€ 10.800||$13.478|
|Total income||€ 281.121||$350.838|
Currency exchange 1 euro = $1,248
|Confirmed income||Euro||Managed the the City Council||In-kind||Total in euro||Notes|
|Wikimedia Foundation||200.000||Funds used specifically for the conference.|
|Wikimedia Foundation (badges and lanyards)||4.200,22||Reimbursement for the costs of the badges and lanyards.|
|Cariplo Foundation||190.000||Funds used for a 2-years programme of Wikimedia and cultural activities in the region. Please refer to the full project Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online.|
|Lombardy Region (Regione Lombardia)||200.000||300.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings and the Varenna-Cortenova street. The funds have been managed by the Esino Lario city council and the Province of Lecco.|
|Province of Lecco (Provincia di Lecco)||200.000||Funds for the Varenna-Cortenova street and conference space at Villa Monastero.|
|Esino Lario City Council||60.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings.|
|Elmec Informatica||30.000||Technical support and collaboration in the communication of the project.|
|BIM Bacino Imbrifero Montano||30.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings (Sport Hall).|
|Wikimedia Italia||20.000||In-kind contribution of time of staff member. Wikimedia Italia receives € 20.000 to implement Wikimedia activities in the region.|
|SUPSI||10.000||In-kind contribution for the involvement of team members of the Laboratory of visual culture.|
|BCC Credito Cooperativo Valsassina||6.000||Funds for the renovation of the former cinema.|
|Comunità montana della Valsassina, Valvarrone, Val d'Esino e Riviera||5.000||The Comunità montana receives € 5.000 to implement Wikimedia activities in the region.|
|O.D.L. srl||5.000||Financial support.|
|Mauri||4.000||Excursion to the company and the village of Pasturo (bus, organization and aperitif), event in Esino Lario with their products (cheese).|
|Norda||4.000||Products (water and baverage).|
|Vendomat||4.000||Products (coffee machines and coffee).|
|HDI Maglia Assicurazioni||4.000||Support with the insurance.|
|SAL Servizi Automobilistici Lecchesi - Arriva||3.000||Financial support.|
|A+E Milano srl||3.837||Funds for the communication of Wikimania. The amount is included and subtracted in a bill.|
|Lufthansa||3.000||Funds for merchandizing and airplane tickets.|
|Casa dell'Economia – Camera di Commercio di Lecco||2.000||Funds for the communication of the project.|
|Other companies supporting the event||15.000||The support of companies and institutions provided services and products for the event.|
|Participants registration fee||This budget will be available in 2017 when we finalize the budget of the Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016, managing it.|
|Total income||417.200,22||290.000||698.837||1.406.037,22||Please note that we spent for the project management and coordination € 10.938,10.|
Confirmed support edit
|Please check the procedure "How to credit people and institutions involved in Wikimania Esino Lario" to review how we decided to manage the credits for the institutions involved in the event. Please find on Wikimania 2016 website the full list of institutions and companies supporting Wikimania Esino Lario.|
Please note that the following list does not include all the institutions and companies supporting WIkimania 2016.
|Wikimedia Italia||With general assembly vote in October 2013 (further specified in April 2014), Wikimedia Italia is promoter of Wikimania Esino Lario.
|Wikimedia CH||With the board resolution in February 2014, Wikimedia CH supports and co-promotes Wikimania Esino Lario.
Wikimedia CH could be the institution applying to Swiss grant-makers.
|Esino Lario city council||It has expressed its support September 2013; the city council has also produced a board resolution which officially supports the bid.
|Ecomuseo delle Grigne and Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus (managing non profit association of the ecomuseum)||It has expressed its support September 2013. The Ecomuseo delle Grigne is a Esino Lario civic institution managed by the Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus.
|Pro Loco Esino Lario||It has expressed its support September 2013. Pro Loco will be partner of the event and it will directly promote activities and initiatives in Esino Lario. It will have a key role in managing volunteers and in taking care of some of the tasks necessary to implement the event in Esino Lario. Pro Loco are local associations meant to manage events. The involvement of Pro Loco Esino Lario is a great advantage for the event because of its experience and because of the specific legislative advantages local Pro Loco have. A meeting between Pro Loco and Wikimedia Italia is necessary to define a partnership agreement, but in general we already envision the role of Pro Loco Esino Lario as following
|Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park||Support letter received February 2014 and renovated in December 2014 by the new president.
|Company ODL||Confirmation of financial support of 5'000 euro received November 2014. ODL is a local company which expresses with its contribution the support to Esino Lario, its territory and community.|
|Company A+E Milano srl||Confirmation of in-kind support (correspondent to a value of 3'000-5'000 euro) received November 2014. The company is a communication company producing graphics, prints, leaflets, brochures, and other communication materials. Its support will be used for the communication materials of Wikimania (welcome beds, program)|
Support from the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center
Support from the Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park, February 2014
Renovated support from the newly elected president of Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera and Regional Grigne Park, December 2014 (English)
Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus 10'000 euro
ODL company 5'000 euro
A+E Milano srl 3'000-5'000 euro
Project proposal Villa Clotilde Expo 2015 with support of the Esino Lario city council
Politecnico di Milano
- 8 busses for 450€ each.
- We didn't include it in the budget because we are cautious and we do not have a written confirmation or the money.
- 8 busses for 450€ each (50 people per bus). If the bus is full it means around 10 euro per person; we will set the price once we decide precisely how to manage the rides.