Community health initiative/User reporting system/Community Insights Survey responses
Results from Community Engagement Insights surveys that are relevant to our User reporting system project.
2016-2017 survey Edit
See the full report at: Community Engagement Insights/2016-17 Report
- People attempt to coerce others. (110.02) — 28% agree
- People can be hyper competitive and see others as adversaries, seeing conflict as a battle to win at any cost. (109.03) — 48% agree
- People are sincerely interested in supporting each other. (109.01) — 58% agree
- I often think about quitting as a Wikimedia contributor. (107.04) — 13% agree
- People have a difficult time understanding and empathizing with others. (112.05) — 39% agree
- People are aware of their biases and patterns of behavior. (112.02) — 25% agree
- People are sincerely willing to talk and negotiate and are able to separate “people issues” (110.04) — 41% agree
- People are committed to seeking fair solutions that are responsive to the interests of all parties. (110.03) — 57% agree
Harassment on Wikimedia
- Have you ever felt unsafe in any Wikimedia online or offline space, including being harassed, bullied, attacked, etc.? (105) — 32% yes
- In the past 12 months, how often have you been sexually harassed on Wikimedia projects or at Wikimedia events, such as sexual remarks made toward you or someone touching your body inappropriately?
- During the past month, on how many days have you avoided Wikimedia Projects because you feel uncomfortable or unsafe in the space? (115.03) — 49% have skipped avoided 1+ days
- Do you feel unsafe contributing to Wikimedia projects online because of… (Please select all that apply to you.) (124) — 18% do not feel unsafe, 19% “none of the above” and 35% “other”
- In the past six months, how often did you report to the following groups for being harassed or attacked:
- To what extent was the problem resolved the last time you reported it to:
- Overall, how useful was the response you received the last time you reported it to:
- In the past 12 months, how often have you been attacked (name-calling, threats, etc. directed at you) when contributing to a Wikimedia project because of…
- The following community processes are used for dealing with user behavior. To what extent do they need improvement?
- In the past 12 months, how often have you been bullied or harassed on Wikipedia? (126.01) — Forty-seven percent of participants indicated that in the past 12 months they have sometimes, often or almost always been bullied or harassed on Wikipedia.
2017-2018 survey Edit
Results forthcoming. Draft can be found at Community Engagement Insights/2018 Report/Anti-Harassment Tools