Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Miscellaneous/Allow to see newcomers edits when they ask question
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Allow to see newcomers edits when they ask question
- Problem: When someone asks a question to a tutor (I don't know how this function is called in English) I often want to see if the question is first thing the user did, or if he has some edits. Sometimes the users ask "I've created a page in my sandbox" (without a link) and i order to see that page, I need to copy his username and click my edits and change the url. It would be nice to see, on the discussion page, a link to his edits.
- Proposed solution: Not sure, maybe additinal link inside user sign added by ~~~~ when user ask a question using newcomers feature.
- Who would benefit: Mentors, Tutors for newcomers
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Jcubic (talk) 11:34, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
- Why not click his name to go to his userpage and choose "User contributions" from the Tools menu ? —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 11:55, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
- Sometimes, it can be inconvenience, but the signatures of questions can have direct contributions link. Thingofme (talk) 02:52, 16 January 2022 (UTC)
- The Growth team identified this issue as one related the Newcomers Homepage. At wikis where the community decided to create a list of mentors who support newcomers' first steps, newcomers can ask questions to their mentors through the homepage. This feature creates a new topic on the mentor talk page, as Jcubic described. An easier access to newcomers' contributions is now tracked on Phabricator (T300630) and we will triage it soon.
- In the meantime, the Navigation popups gadget could be helpful. It available at en, pl and commons, where Jcubic is active. If you haven't yet turned it on, this gadget aims to simplify access to frequently needed features and links, including user contributions.
- Best, Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:31, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- @Trizek (WMF): I've tried Navigation popups gadget, it's interesting. But unfortunately it don't work very good when hoverig on users pages. It seems that it only works on normal pages, since history just return error, when userpage is missing. The only link that is usefull in this gadget is discussion, but that one is in signature.
- Maybe the solution is to create Gadget that will work on usernames or update Navigation popups to work with them.
- I will try few things maybe I will came up with better solution. The problem is stated, maybe somethig can be done to improve working with Newcomers. Jcubic (talk) 18:50, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- @Jcubic, have you checked the Phabricator ticket I refer to? DO you think it would be the solution you need to work with your mentors?
- In any case, if you have any question regarding Growth tools and mentoring, please tell us! :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 19:01, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- @Trizek (WMF): Just checked the ticket, if this is implemented it would improve the workflow, but clickig on dicussion and using tools menu is that that hard. But if there was link to contribution it would be much better. I will check Growth discussion, maybe will have some ideas how to imrove. Jcubic (talk) 19:24, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Neutral It can be redundant as we can view the contributions for new users. Thingofme (talk) 01:49, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 17:21, 6 February 2022 (UTC)