Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Miscellaneous/Allow Users to Add Their Own Personal Notes to a Page
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Allow Users to Add Their Own Personal Notes to a Page
- Problem: I will discuss this with respect to Wikipedia, but it applies to most Wikimedia projects.
If I am logged in and I want to add a comment or a list of notes to an entry, it would be good to be able to. The notes would only be readable to me or anyone logged into my login. Think of this as something like the notes page at the back of a reference book.
The implementation would be relatively simple and with reasonable limits on what could be placed in the notes, the storage overhead should not be a problem based on 2022 storage standards.
I made this proposal directly to S. Sastry at Wikimedia a couple of years ago, but I believe it was lost in the noise at that time. This is a better place for it.
- Proposed solution:
- Who would benefit: Everyone
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Bezenek (talk) 22:26, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
- There are multiple browser extensions that provide this functionality already (and apparently Edge can do this natively). Why should the tech team spend time on this? --Izno (talk) 05:47, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- You can use w:en:User:Bradv/Scripts/Notepad.js for this – which stores notes persistently and can be accessed across different computers. Best, KevinL (aka L235 · t) 20:54, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- de:benutzer:Schnark/js/notizen allows for by-page personal notes and alerts, but should be changed to use mw.user.options rather than the browser's localStorage for the suggested cross-browser functionality. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk) 22:40, 9 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Riha (talk) 13:48, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose per Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Watchlists/Personal notes on watchlisted items — HELLKNOWZ ∣ TALK ∣ enWiki 11:23, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support ok Thingofme (talk) 15:54, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Hampcky (talk) 15:37, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support makes sense Ballancier (talk) 20:23, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 07:31, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose Wiki is not a storage provider. All notes for article improvements can be stored in their userspace (sub)pages or offline. This could also be useful w:User:BrandonXLF/TodoList — DaxServer (t · c) 13:39, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 17:21, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Oppose Don't really see a purpose. --InterstateFive (talk) 20:42, 6 February 2022 (UTC)