Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Wikidata/Automatically follow the target items of statements and the property that gets used
Automatically follow the target items of statements and the property that gets usedEdit
- Problem: Central pages on Wikidata that are linked from many places and vandalism affects many users don't have enough watchers. This means vandalism doesn't get reverted as fast as if more people would have the items on their watchlist.
- Who would benefit: Any Wikidata user and data reusers who want that Wikidata is faster at reverting vandalism.
- Proposed solution: If I add the statement "Earth (Q2) highest point (P610) Mount Everest (Q513)" in addition to adding "Earth (Q2)" to the watchlist "highest point (P610)" and "Mount Everest (Q513)" should also be added to the watchlist. Of course, there should be an option in preferences to deactivate this feature.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T179792
- Translations: none yet
Nice idea, but this seems to me like it should be opt-in. Not everyone who uses Wikidata wants to spend time fighting vandalism - and I imagine it would be kind of strange to see that multiple pages have been added to their watchlist when someone chooses to watch just one page - especially as a default behaviour. -- numbermaniac 07:00, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
- Fighting vandalism isn't the only effect of following central pages. It also means that it's possible to have conversations about them. Currently, it's hard to get a conversation between different people who use a property like "highest point" to clarify it's usage, but I'm open about whether or not this is enabled-by-default. Ideally I would like to see a A/B test for whether it makes sense to enable or disable such a feature by default. ChristianKl (talk) 16:07, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:30, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:14, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 05:37, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Though I have tự agree 🤝🏻 with the points raised by numbermaniac. Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 13:11, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support ChristianKl (talk) 21:04, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support M11rtinb (talk) 09:49, 30 November 2017 (UTC)