Actionweek 2021 - de.wikipedia.orgEdit
- , primary contact (Requested at 14:09, 17 February 2021 (UTC))
|Central Notice Settings|
What countries will your campaign target?
What is the purpose of the campaign? How will you measure the success of the campaign?Edit
Hi Merle von Wittich (WMDE), why would you like to use the CN banner for this, if you only want to target the German speaking Wikipedia? Did you consider to just use the site notice of the German Wikipedia? Ciell (talk) 10:36, 21 February 2021 (UTC)
- @Ciell: regarding your question:
Sitenotice looks like an embedded banner under the main headline, so it is less noticed by the reader. Other reasons why we use Central Notice instead of Site Notice:
- no design, only html, csss possible
- no tracking possibilities
- no configuration options or targeting possible
- can be used only by community (at least in de-WP we as an organization don't use it)
- previous birthday communication was also via CentralNotice, so we follow this logic
- @Merle von Wittich (WMDE): Please link to where the local community has been notified of the banner proposal. Thanks. --Yair rand (talk) 11:21, 22 February 2021 (UTC)
- @Yair rand: We used the Actionweek projectpage for the proposal of the banners: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikimedia_Deutschland/Neue_Ehrenamtliche/Kampagnen/Aktionswoche_Wikipedia_2021#Bannerentw%C3%BCrfe
- @Merle von Wittich (WMDE): Thank you for the link. Did you talk about this with the community somewhere: is there support for showing a CN banner about this event? (Please be aware of our guidelines for banners)
- You are correct that banners are not made with wikicode and we use html instead: we do not, however, use images like the ones designed in the link. Images and text should be supplied separately. I am not a CN notice admin who can design such flashy banners and campaigns (sorry!), but I am willing to help you through the process where ever I can, please don't be put off or offended by my questions. Ciell (talk) 10:30, 23 February 2021 (UTC)
@Ciell:, there was no direct feedback regarding the banner design from the community. But the project page was communicated on different community pages and it is our "standard" to present the banners and ask for feedback on our project pages :) And regarding your concern towards our "flashy" banners: I think there is a misunderstanding here. We are currently working on the HTML implementation and the banner will be implemented by my colleagues from the software department – as long as there are no objections from your side :) But a very big thank you to you that you still offer support! --Merle von Wittich (WMDE) (talk) 11:13, 23 February 2021 (UTC)
Internation Womens Day OverlapEdit
Dear @Ciell:, unfortunately I just realized that our campaign has a time overlap with the International Women's Day Central Notice. I would like to briefly discuss with you how we should proceed here. The first option is, of course, that we share the Central Notice with 50% each for the overlapping days.
However, I would be happy, if you would consider whether more playout is possible for us: A lot of work has gone into the campaign and in fact there is also overlap with the advertised International Women's Day offerings: we have videos and even a live workshop on "Mind the Gap" and of course projects like "Women in Red" are featured. The week of action is supported by three chapters and Wikipedians and there are various offers, including live ones, for those interested instead of just a landing page. Solutions I have thought of:
- on 08.3. we share 50% of the Central Notice banner, for 09. and 10.03. we get more banner space or even a 100% playout.
- We start with our campaign only on 09.03. and get again on 09. and 10.03. more or the whole Central Notice space.
Of course, our central notice campaign only affects non-logged-in users and users up to 1,000 edits in Austria, Germany and German-speaking areas in Switzerland, South Tyrol, Lichtenstein and Luxembourg.
- Update @Ciell:, i haven't heard from you now and our software team has to set up the campaign today. However, I have been in contact with derHexer, who informed me that the Women's Day campaign is currently not being played out to non-registered users. So the overlap is minimal and my worries are settled).
- Hi Merle von Wittich (WMDE), sorry, my IRL took over this week.
- I see the DE-banner is set to show for three times in total, the IWD banner will show twice. I think they will not really colide, but will alternate. That should be okay, right? And yes, the IWD only targets registered users. Ciell (talk) 20:18, 5 March 2021 (UTC)