Celtic Knot Conference 2020/Submissions/How can the Incubator be improved
- Submission no.
- How can the Incubator be improved
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Language Committee volunteer member; Wikimedia Foundation staff; but this presentation is on my own behalf
- Personal homepage or blog
- The Wikimedia Incubator was created many years to help start wikis in new languages. It served its purpose well, but by now, the way in which it works is very outdated. It uses categories and page titles in a way that is very different from other wikis, it cannot use Wikidata and Content Translation, and it has other issues, which make using it much more difficult than it should be. What is particularly tragic is that the people who have to deal with this difficulty are our movement's newest contributors, who have little or no experience editing in other languages. This talk will present some proposals to improve the situation, as well as some new challenges that these improvements will create.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn about the current problems in the Incubator, about some tricks to help other people deal with them, and about proposals to improve the situation. There will be also a discussion about dealing with problems that changing Incubator's infrastructure will pose.
- Theme of session
- Language technology
- Slides or further information (optional)
Interested attendees Edit
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Trey Jones (WMF) (talk) 14:28, 14 May 2020 (UTC)
- Yupik (talk) 04:41, 25 May 2020 (UTC)
- Anass Sedrati (talk) 14:43, 29 May 2020 (UTC)
Friendly space: Because we want to provide a great experience for all participants and foster collaboration, please keep these few guidelines in mind: let’s be respectful to each other, encourage participation and a positive atmosphere, be mindful of how our actions impact others, and feel free to ask for help at any time. Friendly Space Policy in full.