CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2016 - June 2017/Telugu
Telugu has been a focus language area for the last 3 years. The plan starts with a critical overview of CIS-A2K's work and presents the plan of activities for the year starting July 2016 to June 2017.
Performance against PlansEdit
In 2015-16, CIS-A2K put its efforts to have organic growth of leadership in the community. Through consultations and following Village pump discussions, revised the needs assessment and worked along with community needs. CIS-A2K has taken several roles like conducting, co-organizing, organizing, facilitating events in order to work closely, increase community participation and fill the gaps in conducting outreach.
- Cohort Analysis Summary.
|Active editors involved||New editors||Reach||Images added to commons||Articles added||Absolute bytes added|
- Above table shows statistics upto January 2016.
(Upto February 2016)
- More sources related to socio-political issues, personalities like freedom fighters, poets etc., available to Telugu Wikipedians who wanted to use them in improving Wikipedia articles.
- Resources created by CIS-A2K are being used by community, for example - recently a Telugu Wikipedian who conducted an awareness program used the script of video tutorials which are under community review.
- Community meetups started in another city - Vijayawada, in the resource centre created for Wikipedia activities in collaboration with Andhra Loyola College.
- Spread awareness on Telugu Wikipedia through media mentions. For example: activities like Photowalk co-organized in AP state archaeological museum got covered in electronic as well as major print media.
Revisiting the Needs AssessmentEdit
- CIS-A2K conducts both annual and monthly needs assessment on collaborating with community. Apart from On-wiki discussions, CIS-A2K kept time for assessment during Community meetups and outreach activities. Community is consulted in all programs during designing and implementation.
|Program||Wikimedia Strategy||Nature of the activity||Community suggestions||Wikimedia Project||Projection|
|Small City Outreach||User cultivation, Increasing reach||Workshops||
||Telugu Wikipedia, Wikisource||
|Improving diversity in Telugu Wikipedia||Increasing diversity, User cultivation||Workshops, Edit-a-thons, Surveys||
|Outreach in places other than Telangana and Andhra Pradesh||User cultivation, Improving reach, Community building activity||Workshops||
|Training in monthly meet-ups||User retention, Improving quality||Training||
|Wikimedia Educational Programme||Education program||Trainings, WEP, Edit-a-thons||
||Telugu Wikipedia, Wikisource, Commons||
|Qualitative measures||Improving quality||Edit-a-thons, Trainings||
||Telugu Wikipedia, Commons||
|Supporting Digitization||Content digitization||digitization sprints||
|Content donation||Content acquisition, Content digitization||Content acquisition, digitization sprints||
||Telugu Wikisource, Wikipedia||
|Advanced Wikisource user session||Capacity buildup||Training||
Program (1) # of newly registered users (2) # of active editors involved (3) # of individuals involved (4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages (4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional) (5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects (6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects Wikipedia Education Program 200 10 250 700 1,400,000 Edit-a-thon 250 55 425 3050 920,000 GLAM 25 85 500 1500 100 Skill Building 35 40 Conducting digitization sprints 1400 (pages get digitized in Wikisource)
Table 3 notes:
Cultivating New EditorsEdit
Small city/town outreach
Actively spread awareness through the community to cities/towns like Khammam, Kadapa, Tirupathi, Tadepalligudem, Vizag. Outreach if already going on in Hyderabad, Vijayawada and Guntur, and we will expand this list at least to 3 other cities/towns. Many Telugu Wikipedians considered spreading out Telugu Wikipedia activity to towns/cities as crucial to expand community in monthly meetup.
- To conduct a primary survey in potential cities/towns of Telugu states and collect data under various metrics including:
- No. of local cultural organizations or groups with knowledge in niche subjects, hobbies and independent projects
- Educational Institutions and libraries;
- Data on internet penetration, internet cafes (outlets), broadband connections, etc;
- Virtual communities (like FaceBook communities, bloggers, websites);
- Journalists, college teachers, writers and other members of the local intelligentsia
- Consider if there are at least 1-2 Wikipedians closely associated with the city too. Some of the Telugu Wikipedians suggested some towns/cities to consider by stating educational, cultural activities and their advantages during community consultation. Shortlist 3 of the cities.
- Collaborate with local hosting institutions and conduct workshops for enthusiasts.
- Create themes that are interesting to local community and conduct edit-a-thons on them to convert new users into active users.
- Involve local, experienced Wikipedians in the process and try sustaining the new community to expand slowly.
- Try making a partnership with local institutions to facilitate future outreach and meet-ups.
- Enlisting 90 New users and turning 15 out of them into active users.
- At least 2 local institutions facilitate the outreach and meet-ups which in turn help expanding local community organically.
- Creation of at least 80 quality thematic articles and improvement of 120 articles in Telugu Wikipedia.
Improving diversity in Telugu Wikipedia
Improving participation of women and physically disabled people in Telugu Wikipedia which is missing at this moment. Improving content related to them in order to achieve diversity. To understand the factors which are stopping women from editing Telugu Wikipedia. One Telugu Wikipedian suggested taking up activities to improve women participation as well as women related content.
- Conducting 4 workshops especially for women and conducting 4 edit-a-thons to improve women related content in Telugu Wikipedia.
- Partner with research organizations specifically working on women studies and conduct thematic edit-a-thons.
- To conduct a small scale study with workshop participants and other women to know what made them not to edit Wikipedia till then.
- Organizing 2 Workshops for physically disabled people.
- Enlisting 100 New women and physically challenged Wikimedians and Turning out at least 13-20 of them into active users.
- 150 articles related to Women will be improved or created in Telugu Wikipedia.
Outreach in places other than Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
To expand Telugu Wikipedia community outside the two Indian states Andhra Pradesh and Telangana where Telugu is the primary and official language. Also, to explore the possibility of online outreach for Telugu speakers outside India especially in the US and Malaysia where these two nations have significant number of Telugu speakers. Apart from the border states of Andhra Pradesh and Telengana, many Indian cities have considerable number of Telugu speakers where the language and cultural associations organize regular gatherings and events. Tapping into such diaspora communities that are active in linguistic and cultural activities was suggested by Telugu community members like Gullapalli Nageswara rao and Sultan Khadar whereas another Telugu Wikipedian Kasyap suggested conducting outreach for Telugu diaspora living in Malaysia.
- Engage in discussion with Telugu language and culture associations of Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru to collaborate for designing thematic projects. Also, work with Telugu Jathi Foundation—an organization with which CIS has an ongoing partnership and has conducted a few content donation activities—to engage with the Telugu diaspora in India.
- Select two cities/towns by considering parameters like established vibrant cultural organizations related to Telugu.
- conduct workshops with follow up activities in each of them
- Provide training and resources for interested persons in local hosting organizations in order to conduct small scale outreach.
- Develop a partnership with local hosting organization in order to facilitate meet ups and activities of local community with which it can organically improve.
- Try contacting organizations of Telugu diaspora like TANA, Detroit Telugu Literary club, Telugu Association of Malaysia, etc., to explore opportunities of conducting online outreach.
- Enlisting 60 users to Telugu Wikipedia from which 10-15 turn out to be active users.
- At least 80 thematic articles about the places will be improved/created in Telugu Wikipedia.
Strengthening Existing CommunityEdit
Training in monthly meet-ups
Make use of editor support programs like Train-a-Wikipedian and provide advanced training to Wikimedians with a focus on the areas where they need more support. Some long time community members like Gullapalli, Bhaskara Naidu have been suggesting the idea of making Wikipedia meetups more focused and to include hands-on sessions rather than having just a general gathering.
- Identifying needs of individual editors by conducting user surveys (mostly rolled out in April or May 2016)
- Conducting group and one-on-one, and general and focused training sessions for editors based on the needs identified in community consultations and surveys.
- Leveraging community meetups as an opportunity to conduct such training sessions and also connecting a group of editors with the larger community via voice/video chat.
- Make use of Learning and evaluation testing methods like quizzing and detailed analysis of training sessions.
- To train 15 Wikipedians on nearly five essential aspects/tools.
Wikipedia Educational Program
To partner with 2-3 institutions listed below in order to use Telugu Wikipedia as a pedagogic tool to develop quality content on academic subjects and some other interested thematic topics in Telugu Wikipedia and also bring academic abilities of students and lecturers into Telugu Wikipedia.
|Name of the Institution||Status||Description||Wikimedia project||WMF Strategy Alignment|
|Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada||MoU signed and activities are being done||Content generation
|Potti Sriramulu Telugu University||Primary discussions done, proposed in Telugu Wikipedia & will proceed after community discussion||Content donation
|NTR Trust Skill Development center||Primary discussions done, proposed in Telugu Wikipedia & will proceed after community discussion||Content donation||Wikipedia|
|NTR College for Women||Primary discussions done, proposed in Telugu Wikipedia & will proceed after community discussion||Content donation||Wikipedia|
- Proposals were discussed in A2K and Telugu Wikipedia community and it was decided, wherever possible, to sign MoUs with organizations; with Interested Wikipedians as signatories.
- Considering the previous learning and community suggestions into account and also with participation from interested community members, design and roll-out workshops in the organizations.
- With the help and suggestions from community, nurture student Wikipedians in order to make their contributions qualitatively good and worthwhile. With the help of staff, conduct several activities which improve Telugu Wikimedia projects and fit in academic activities.
- Conduct Wikimedia Education Program, by encouraging educators of the partner organizations to give assignments that Student Wikipedian has to write on-wiki.
- Conduct sessions for student Wikipedians, in which they can learn about Wikipedia editing and best practices in it. Let student Wikimedians improve the articles in sand box. Some Telugu Wikipedians (one of whom is a teacher by profession) came forward to curate the assignments. After community review, articles will go live.
- Creation of more than 200 good quality articles in Wikipedia and Improving nearly 500 stubs to class promotion.
- Expected to enlist nearly 200 new users in Telugu Wikimedia projects and convert at least 10-20 of them to active users.
During consultations, Wikimedians expressed the need to clean up machine translations, publishing stub articles list, and also requested resources to improve current articles that don’t have proper sources, etc.,
- Images into Telugu Wikipedia articles: Improving Telugu Wikipedia articles, especially articles that don’t have images, with adding appropriate free images. Conduct at least 4 GLAM activities, releasing quality photos of interested photographers into CC-BY-SA and conducting edit-a-thons to add those photos into Telugu Wikipedia. Telugu Wikipedia community has categorized mostly all Telugu Wikipedia articles that don't have images with template saying image needed. Vyzasatya completed it with a bot where Viswanadh is one of the initiators to start this attempt.* Sharing useful resources with Wikipedians: To share resources useful to improve quality and content in Telugu Wikipedia with existing Wikipedians and enthusiastic newbies to address the lack of resources in Telugu Wikipedia articles.
- Stub article tracking: To help Wikipedians track and improve stub articles on a monthly basis. Consulted community on Telugu Wikipedia Village pump. The community accepted the idea to publish monthly stub articles along with the details of who created it.
- Cleaning up machine translated articles project: To improve the quality of machine translated articles created during Google translation project. Google translated articles were considered as one of the major quality problems for Telugu Wikipedia. Arjuna Rao created a page to track the issues related to these articles and also conducted a very small sample survey in which only 1 out of 7 was found to be acceptible quality and 3 of 7 does need needed several several changes to improve quality. CIS-A2K recently helped starting a project on cleaning Google translated articles into good quality articles through conducting training on Wikipedia translate tool, etc., and Wikipedians who initiated this project have been requesting CIS-A2K to continue support.
- Images into Telugu Wikipedia articles:
- To conduct at least 2 photo walks in museums with artefacts useful to Telugu Wikipedia articles.
- Selecting places of cities like Hyderabad and Vijayawada where we can get photos of places, statues and historical monuments and conduct at least 2 Wiki takes city kind of activities.
- Discuss with several kinds of people who have a good repository with photos that can be useful in Telugu Wikipedia articles and release useful photos into CC-BY-SA.
- Conduct edit-a-thons to add uploaded photos into Telugu Wikipedia articles.
- Sharing useful resources with Wikipedians:
- Collecting encyclopedic and scholarly resources in Telugu language and try making them release into CC-BY-SA licenses & get digitized into Wikisource.
- Conduct edit-a-thons to improve quality and content in Telugu Wikipedia
- Create an online wiki platform where users and organizers can share the details of required sources and available sources & can share them.
- Stub article tracking: Track stub articles created in Telugu Wikipedia on a monthly basis and to publish the stub articles list in template that is already suggested by community. Encouraging users who created the stubs to improve them. Initiate a week long edit-a-thon to improve stub articles.
- Cleaning up machine translated articles project:
- Conducting training on Wikipedia translation tool to interested Wikipedians who wanted to work on this project.
- Introducing the work being done to new users enlisted by other programmatic efforts. Train and encourage them to contribute to this project.
- 500 photos will be added to Telugu Wikipedia articles, mainly those doesn't have proper free images.
- 1500 Photos that are useful to Telugu Wikipedia, added to Wikimedia Commons.
- Quality of 350 stub articles can be improved potentially
- To create/improve 150 articles in Telugu Wikipedia.
- 240 of machine translated articles improved in terms of quality.
Telugu Village stubs project
To improve village stubs especially those belonging to the districts on which content and quality is less till now.
- Conduct research in random methods to get the data and find which district (administrative division) in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana does have more village stubs.
- Collecting and sharing the sources with interested Telugu Wikipedians to improve several aspects of Village articles.
- Conduct 2 edit-a-thons with the specific theme of improving village articles to class promotion at least to start class.
- Quality of 2000 stub articles can be improved potentially
To support digitization efforts in Telugu Wikisource by conducting digitization sprints to new users. During community consultation, community members like Bhaskara Naidu, Rajasekhar stressed the importance of introducing Telugu Wikisource to new users and according to community members this will help in expanding the Telugu Wikisource community to more users and also help in encouraging new users to use the platform as a launching pad to learn Telugu typing, wiki markup code. During IRC and other kinds of consultations, Arjuna Rao suggested rectifying the technical issues in the books previously added into Telugu Wikipedia by programmatic effort.
- Selecting books through prioritizing them by on-wiki consultation and also considering previously uploaded books which have technical errors.
- To conduct digitization sprints to Student Wikimedians and train them on different tools and skills like briss cutter, Telugu OCR, proofreading, etc.,
- Digitizing at least 1000 folios in Telugu Wikisource
- Improving quality of at least 400 folios currently available in Telugu Wikisource with technical problems.
- Would like to get new users enlisted into Telugu Wikisource and at least some of them becoming active users in Wikisource.
To work towards getting useful Telugu content re-released under CC-BY-SA 4.0 license and host it on Telugu Wikisource
- Explain the importance and impact of CC Licenses
- Consult the community and prioritize the books to be relicensed
- Formalize agreement with authors
- Organize a formal function for the re-release so that it motivates others to follow suit
- Arrive at priority list from the catalogue to be digitized and typed on Wikisource
- Books will be scanned and PDF files will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and also digitized in Telugu Wikisource.
- 150 books gets released into CC-BY-SA license and gets digitized in Telugu Wikisource.
- 100 articles created or improved in Telugu Wikipedia using those books as resources.
Advanced Wikisource user session
To train existing Wikipedians on advanced editing options on Telugu Wikisource and on tools like OCR. During community consultation, Rajasekhar explained the need of training session on advanced editing in Wikisource and also tools useful to digitization.
- Design a training plan specifically for advanced options and useful tools in Wikisource.
- Conduct training session for Existing Wikisource editors on tools and advanced editing options.
- Carve the program into two different sessions and make use of evaluation methods to get detailed analysis of training.
- This advanced workshop is aimed at strengthening about 20 existing Wikipedians.
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|1 PA x 100%||378,000||5,513.330445||0||0|
|1 PD x 2.5%||70,330.92||1,025.813763||0||0|
|1 PM x 5%||52,800||770.1159987||0||0|
|3 PO x 11.11%||318,282.7||4,642.321958||0||0|
|1 PA x 11.11%||55,733.34||812.9003181||0||0|
|TTT, MWT, etc.,x20%||40,000||583.4212112||0||0|
|Travel and Stay||0||0||42,000||612.5922717|
- ↑ 100% time of PAvan Santhosh as Program Associate who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K
- ↑ 2.5% time of Program Director, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 5% time of Program Manager, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 11.11% time of 3 Program Officers, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 11.11% time of Program Associate, CIS-A2K
- ↑ Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan