CIS-A2K has taken up Kannada as one of the focus language areas as part of its work plan for the last two years. The plan starts with a critical overview of CIS-A2K's work since April 2013 and presents the plan of activities for the period of July 2016 to June 2017.
Performance against Plans edit
- CIS-A2K is working with students from 4 educational institutions to improve Kannada Wikimedia projects. Wikipedia Education Program (WEP) was started for the students of Christ University, Bangalore in November 2013, and as part of the programme, a large number of students were trained to write articles and edit on Wikipedia. Along with Christ University, WEP is running in St. Aloysius, Mangalore, SDM College, Ujire & Alva's college. The programs gave us mixed results. On one hand many new editors came on board with new articles and content, but on the other hand we noticed that many students faced initial difficulties in typing in their language. Some community members had issues with quality of content of articles that were added. To address these concerns, in the next year, we intend to start a certification course for students,
- Kannada Wikipedians celebrated their Wikipedia's 13th year anniversary on 14 February 2016 at St. Aloysius College, Mangalore. This activity was preceded by a series of theme based edit-a-thons conducted at Mysore, Sagara, Bangalore and Mangalore. These four edit-a-thons have brought in 70 new Wikipedians to Kannada Wikipedia adding 247 quality articles onto Kannada Wikipedia.
- 55 books of Kannada writer Niranjana were relicensed under CC-BY-SA. While processing and uploading these books to Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource, we faced a number of challenges. The first challenge was that the books were unavailable. We approached some libraries and old bookshops and we were able to find only a few books. Then we approached Tejaswini Niranjana and she provided the needed books, which were scanned and now we have 53 of 55 books. These books are being tracked at kn:s:ವಿಕಿಸೋರ್ಸ್:ಯೋಜನೆ/ನಿರಂಜನ. We also noticed that Kannada Wikisource lacked some important tools which were essential for proof reading. We are now using both Google OCR and manual typing process, while another set of Wikipedians are proofreading and typing the books. We imported some templates from English Wikisource for creating a book page and one book has been created in such a way that we can download PDF, ePUB and text format of the book and the same process will be applied for all the books typed.
Despite the challenges faced, CIS-A2K's efforts of catalysing the growth of Kannada Wikipedia have had a positive impact. There is a noticeable increase in the number of editors, active editors, and general awareness about Kannada Wikipedia. However, the number of edits and the growth of articles still needs to improve considerably.
Tangible Impact edit
Due to the various efforts of CIS-A2K including education programs, workshops & edit-a-thons, Kannada Wikipedia got
|Active editors involved||New editors||Reach||Images added to commons||Articles added||Absolute bytes added|
- Above table shows statistics upto March 2016.
Active editors during the period July 2015 to Feb 2016
New editors during the period July 2015 to Feb 2016
Total editors during the period July 2015 to Feb 2016
Total number of articles during the period July 2015 to Feb 2016
Intangible Impact edit
There were about 13 mentions in print media about Kannada Wikipedia and Wikisource during this period. This has helped to increase the awareness about Kannada Wikipedia.
Needs Assessment edit
The community participation in writing the work plan has increased this year due to our increased effort in involving the community.
The Kannada community has expressed the need for the following to be our focus in the next plan
- Making edits of new WEP editors more meaningful and of better quality
- Thematic edit-a-thons/workshops: The content in Kannada Wikipedia is not very diverse. We have only a few articles related to Medicine, Law, Villages of Karnataka, etc. So these Thematic edit-a-thon/workshops will help to enrich the Kannada Wikipedia.
- Community prioritization of Wikisource books
Implementation plan edit
Program (1) # of newly registered users (2) # of active editors involved (3) # of individuals involved (4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages (4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional) (5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects (6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects GLAM 25 50 600 500 50 5,00,000 Wikipedia Education Program 350 20 650 4400 2200 750 40,00,000 Edit-a-thon 150 15 225 175 100 175 (Alongwith Wikisource Pages) 700,000 Skill Building - 50 - - - - -
Table 3 notes:Bytes are indicative of Text not images
Cultivating New Editors edit
Building Leadership among Indian Wikimedia communities
Strengthening Existing Community edit
Advanced editing training
Capacity Building Meetups
Content Generation edit
Wikipedia Education Programme
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|1 PA x 100%||252,000||3675.55363||0|
|1 PD x 2.5%||70,330.92||1025.813763||0||0|
|1 PM x 5%||52,800||770.1159987||0||0|
|3 PO x 11.11%||318,283||4642.321958||0||0|
|1 PA x 11.11%||55,733||812.9003181||0||0|
|Travel and Stay||50,000||770.1159987||44,000||641.7633323|
|Skill Building Initiatives||25,000||364.638257||0||0|
- 100% time of Ananth subray as Program Associate who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K
- 2.5% time of Program Director, CIS-A2K
- 5% time of Program Manager, CIS-A2K
- 11.11% time of 3 Program Officers, CIS-A2K
- 11.11% time of Program Associate, CIS-A2K
- Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan