Best practices in giving a Wikipedia presentation
- First steps
- Start with thinking about the expectations of the audience and about your own goals
- Show your audience the numbers
- Persuading people to start contributing to Wikipedia
- Tell people about our vision
- Tell people how you have benefited from contributing to Wikipedia
- Tell people why Wikipedia needs their help
- Include a practical "how to" demonstration on Wikipedia editing, illustrating that it is easy to get started. Begin small, showing how to add a wikilink, fix a typo, add a sentence or a phrase, and proceed from there.
- Try to reach people where they are. Request to give special Wikipedia presentations at non-Wikipedia events.
- Being well prepared
- Presentations – repository for presentations about Wikipedia
- Speakers – list of people who do presentations on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Best practices documentation – other best practice pages on public outreach
- outreach:Bookshelf Project