Basque Wikimedians User Group/Reports/2021
During 2021, the dynamics of our events and programs has still been conditioned by the Sars-CoV pandemics. However, the Group has kept undertaking initiatives, especially related to the Education Program.
Programming with informatics studentsEdit
Students from the Faculty of Informatics of the University of the Basque Country have contributed to the Wikipedia by creating new articles, but also by programming. We took up this new initiative in 2021. As reported in the Platform EgelaPi and the Informatics Wikiproject, five students have developed 5 programming tasks assisted by their professor Kepa Sarasola:
- Introduction into Wikidata of data related to 14 important personalities from the regional area of Tolosaldea (assigned to students Ekhi Azurmendi and Asier Alaña).
- Interactive map of the mountains in the Basque Country (query.wikidata.org), added to the article Euskal_Herriko_mendiak (student Uxer Ugarte).
- Markup of all verses in the Bible uploaded to the Basque Wikisource (Wikiteka) by means of Python (student Josu Loidi).
- Allocation of gender semi-automatically to all authors of magazine Aldiri according to Wikidata (Oier Elola).
- Program to automatically fix birth and surnames cited in references generated automatically on the Wikipedia (Ekhi Azurmendi).
- Phabricator/T299981: Improving cite extraction from URLs when the author has one or two surnames (Basque, Spanish...).
- Percentages of Basque-language use by municipality added to infoboxes (Kepa, Xabier Arregi and Olatz Altuna (from Soziolinguistika Klusterra):
- Data related to domestic Basque-language use inserted into Wikidata, retrieved from the Basque's Indicator System (EAS). Not many municipalities, but in Tolosaldea also street use data have been added to Wikidata, provided by the association Galtzaundi (done by Ekhi Azurmendi).
- The latest data available in EAS ("Basque-speakers") are updated every five years, with the latest so far dating from 2016. These data have been updated in Wikidata.
Txikipedia in Zumaia High SchoolEdit
In the 2020-2021 academic year, a lesson subject centred in Txikipedia, the junior Wikipedia, has been established at the state-run Zumaia Secondary School. In addition to feeding Txikipedia, photos and audio files from Zumaia have been uploaded to Commons. A total of about 150 articles were written by 13-14 year old students. The program will continue active in the coming academic years.
GLAM and othersEdit
- Synergies and training provided to the Oarsopedia project developed in the cultural factory Lekuona Fabrika, town of Errenteria, in the months of June and July (Diario Vasco, Herri Bizia, Oarsoaldeko Hitza).
- Presentation of the CC-BY-SA historiographic work Nafarroako Erresumaren inbasioa 1199-1200 based on the namesake article in the Basque Wikipedia, released along with Nabarralde (presentation on 10 October in Sara).
UEU (Basque Summer University; Wikidata works)Edit
Titles of the papers and their authors from the journal UZTARO have been transferred semi-automatically into Wikidata, carried out by Aitzol, Emilio, Marije, Galder and Kepa. As the same work can be done with articles and authors from other magazines and journals, in August 2021 it was done for the journal ALDIRI by means of OpenRefine (Papers of the journal ALDIRI in query.wikidata. In November this work was presented as a poster in a scientific workshop on Digital Humanities (Cooperation between INGUMA and Wikidata databases, CLARIAH-EUS, 2021-11-26).
- Wikipedia-Wikimedia Edit-a-thon 2021: Developing transversal capacities, at Tabakalera, Donostia-San Sebastián on 16 July 2021.
- Promotional stall at the Meeting of Basque Writers in Sara on 10 October.
- Euskal Wikipediak 20 kandela, program Biba zuek, TV station ETB1, 2021-12-17.
- Galder Gonzalez (time: -01:53:20): history of EUWP, first article Lurra.
- Mikel Fdez Arroiabe (time: -01:37:20): outlining Txikipedia, Secondary School program in Zumaia.
- Ana Zelaia (time: -01:28:50, and 27:00): EHU, Faculty of Informatics, Minerals, Map of Basque Country.
- (Basque) Euskarazko kalitatezko edukia eskura daukate gaztetxoen Txikipedian. - Direct conexion about Txikipedia in Onda Vasca Radio, from Zumaiako High School. There's also an interview with Koldo Biguri.