This page is a descriptive article on the Alemannic Wikipedia, feel free to add any comment.
Started: 13 de Novembro de 2003
Current size: 29 923 articles
Total edits: 1 036 998
Active editors: 85 in the past month
- Areas of strength
- Diversity of dialects. Users contribute in Alemannic dialects that are spoken in Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. Users from these six countries usually contribute to three different wikipedias (de:wp, fr:wp, it:wp).
- Some themes that belong to Alemannic-speaking regions are described on a more detailed level than on de:wp, fr:wp, or it:wp, e. g. Walser communities in Italy
- High proportion of articles bigger than 0.5 kB (> 90%), and bigger than 2 kB (> 50%).
- Areas of weakness
- Few contributors, especially from France and Austria
- What other prominent encyclopedias exist in this language (print, electronic, online)?
- There is no other encyclopaedia in Alemannic
- The most important competitors are de:wp, resp. fr:wp or it:wp!
- Started in November 2003 as an Alsatian Wikipedia, expanded to an Alemannic Wikipedia in October 2004
- In 2014 Alemannic Wikipedia won the Zedler Price for free knowledge.
- First writing contest in 2011.
|1 000||October 2005|
|2 000||June 2006|
|3 000||May 2007|
|4 000||July 2008|
|5 000||May 2009|
|6 000||February 2010|
|7 000||December 2010|
|8 000||February 2011|
|9 000||May 2011|
|10 000||June 2011|
|11 000||February 2012|
|12 000||August 2012|
|13 000||December 2013|
|14 000||April 2013|
|15 000||August 2013|
|16 000||February 2014|
|17 000||June 2014|
|18 000||January 2015|
|19 000||May 2015|
|20 000||October 2015|
|21 000||March 2016|
|22 000||November 2016|
|23 000||June 2017|
|24 000||February 2018|
|25 000||September 2018|
|26 000||July 2019|
|27 000||February 2020|
|28 000||October 2021|
List of meetings
- What has its impact been?
- Has been used in several publications as text corpus for linguistic studies.
- What language features are challenging?
- Diacritics usage in text, e. g. no possibility for an Ö/ö with an accent grave (like À/à)
- Because of the lack of a standardized orthography, article titles are written in Standard German, so linking is complicated.
- What would surprise the outside reader about the community?
- very friendly atmosphere in discussions in contrast to the rough atmosphere on de:wp
- What are some unique practices/characteristics?
- Everybody could write in his/her own dialect. If other users want to contribute to a given article they usually add new chapters in their dialect, so the dialect may change within an article.
- Every article with less than 5 sentences is deleted.
- All Alemannic Wikimedia projects have been merged. Other projects are now part of Wikipedia as separate namespaces: Wikisource, Wikiquote, Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikinews.
- Who were the earliest participants, who started it?
- Traroth, Chlämens, Melancholie, and J. 'mach' wust
- Other prominent Wikipedians?
- some linguists who work on Alemannic language