Affiliations Committee/Resolutions/Recognition WikiJournal User Group
- Recognizing Wikimedia User Groups is the responsibility of the Affiliations Committee;
- Wikiversity Journal User Group has submitted an application for recognition, which has been reviewed by the Affiliations Committee;
- The scope of the group, which can be found on their meta page, is "Wikiversity Journal is a chronologically ordered collection of works that have undergone peer review. Wikiversity Journal emphasizes transparency throughout the publication process, from peer review to final version. Thereby, Wikiversity Journal avails for editors to not only summarize existing human knowledge, but also to build upon it. Wikiversity Journal should basically function as a repository of evidence, similarly to the way Wikidata functions as a repository of data for Wikimedia projects. Also, Wikiversity Journal acquires articles containing media (such as images) to enrich Wikipedia articles.
- Application Review:
- Wikiversity Journal avails for contribution to Wikimedia projects by means of academic publishing, which scholars and other academia may be more familiar with. The other way around, it also assigns standardized reference formats to included works, making it easier for external scientific sources to use and cite Wikimedia works.
- Wikiversity Journal offers both peer review and publication for free.
- The most established journal in this group is Wikiversity Journal of Medicine (also reached by redirect from www.wijoumed.org) which was started in 2014 and has gathered 16 articles. Recently, a second journal was created with a wider scientific scope, the Second Journal of Science."'; and
- With regard to Wikiversity Journal User Group's application for user group status and criteria:
- At least 3 active Wikimedia editors: CRITERION MET
- Focus advances Wikimedia: CRITERION MET
- Mission aligned with Wikimedia Foundation: CRITERION MET
- Compliance with naming guidelines and trademark policy: CRITERION MET
- Information about group published on a Wikimedia wiki: CRITERION MET
- Plans for activities or efforts to advance Wikimedia projects: CRITERION MET
- Allows new members: CRITERION MET
- Two designated contacts for Wikimedia Foundation: CRITERION MET
- It is the opinion of the Affiliations Committee that the group meets the requirements for Wikimedia User Group status.
- Therefore be it resolved that Wikiversity Journal User Group is recognized as a Wikimedia User Group for a one-year, renewable period, effective on 31 May, 2016.
Per the Wikimedia user group approval process, this application has been approved on 31 May, 2016 on behalf of the Affiliations Committee: - JAnstee (WMF) (talk) 21:32, 31 May 2016 (UTC)
This project was renamed to WikiJournal, following a vote in August 2016. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 04:33, 4 March 2017 (UTC)