Development of Abstract Wikipedia will proceed in two major parts, each consisting of a large number of tasks. Part P1 is about developing the wiki of functions, and Part P2 is about abstract content and natural language generation. On this page, we further break down the tasks of Part P1 into phases that each cover some of the work under a given task. The below contains links to Phabricator, where tasks and phases are broken down even further.
This wiki page might be stale. The canonical place for information about the tasks is Phabricator. Find our current state on Phabricator.
We expect to take about ten phases before launching the wiki of functions.
All the below phases cover work under Task P1.2: Initial development, unless marked otherwise.
Part P1: Wiki of functionsEdit
Phase α (alpha): store, display and edit header — Done 2020-08-25Edit
Phase completion condition: As a user [of a site with the MediaWiki extension installed], I can create and store a string as a new ZObject, e.g. "Hello world!".
Phase β (beta): create types and instances — Done 2021-02-04Edit
Phase completion condition: As a user, I can create and store an object implementing any on-wiki defined type, e.g. the positive integer one
Phase γ (gamma): functions, implementations, errors — Done 2021-04-02Edit
Phase completion condition: As a user, I can store a function call, a function, and a tester (only the objects, no actual evaluation yet), e.g.
if(true, false, true) (read "if true then false else true", i.e. negation)
Phase δ (delta): built ins — Done 2021-05-11Edit
Phase completion condition: As a user, I can use a special page to evaluate a built-in function with supplied inputs, e.g. to check whether the empty list is empty.
Phase ε (epsilon): native function calls — Done 2021-06-30Edit
Phase completion condition: As a user, I can use a special page to evaluate a user-written function in one of the supported languages, e.g. call a user-written function in Python to add up two numbers.
Phase ζ (zeta): composition — Done 2021-08-27Edit
Phase completion condition:
- As a user, I can implement a function using composition of other functions, rather than writing it myself, e.g.
negate(Boolean → Boolean). — Done
- (Stretch condition) As a user, I can see the results of testers on the relevant function implementation's page. [This might need to be moved to a later phase as not all requirements may be met this point. Must be done by phase ι.] — Done
Phase η (eta): generic types — Done 2022-04-08Edit
Phase completion condition:
- Being able to implement
curryas a composition on the wiki, but without requiring strict static analysis — Done
- Making it possible to create the following three 'user-defined' types on the wiki:
- Being able to make a generic wrapper type through composition on the wiki — Done
See also the newsletter posted about this phase.
Phase θ (theta): thawing and freezingEdit
- Freezing and thawing content (Task P1.7). ― task T275942
- Task P1.9: Pass security review. — task T274682, …
- Launch public test system (Task P1.4). — task T261469
Phase completion condition:
- As a sysop, I can freeze and unfreeze any user-written object (akin to, or maybe the same as, MediaWiki's protection system); all system-supplied objects are permanently frozen.
- As a user editing a frozen page, I can change the label, but not the implementation, whereas on an unfrozen page both are possible.
- ZObjects are stored using the new canonical form for typed lists, and all parts are still working
- View and edit function is implemented and tested successfully
- When several implementations are available, the "best" is chosen. (Fitness determination to potentially be changed later.)
- We measure the clock time & memory use of each function run, and display it on the execution result & in the implementation/test table.
- Edits to system-defined ZObjects are restricted to users with the correct rights. Understandable diffs are emitted. Results are cached.
- Text with fallback, references, strings, lists is implemented and tested successfully
- A shared understanding with the community of how the team will contribute to Wikifunctions, and why, is documented
- Designs for viewing and editing multi-lingual documentation on mobile and desktop are approved. UX is instrumented and data collected.
Phase ι (iota): documentation of objectsEdit
- This is a preliminary assignment, moving the documentation tasks here.
- Provide editing for the header (additionally to full raw editing) (that is a pretty big task) — this refers only to the labels, actually.
- Extend editing for Z2K3/label with multilingual text.
- Extend the header with Z2K4/documentation. — task T260954 & task T260956
- Extend editing to deal with Z2K4/documentation. — task T260955
Phase completion condition: As a user, I can document a ZObject in any and all supported languages, using a wikitext.
Phase κ (kappa): cleanupEdit
- Tightening up and clean up tasks, to close all pre-launch tasks.
Phase completion condition: As the Abstract Wikipedia Team, we feel ready for launch, including sign-off from all relevant colleagues.
Phase λ (lambda): launchEdit
- Phase λ (lambda) is meant for launch. If there are pre-launch tasks that prevent that, so be it, obviously.
- Set up a new Wikimedia project.
- Move some of the wiki pages about the project from Meta to Wikifunctions.
Phase completion condition: As a person on the Web, I can visit and use Wikifunctions.org to write and run functions directly on the site.
Pre-launch tasks that need to happen but are not phased in yet: