You != "Some People"
|(English) This is an essay. It expresses the opinions and ideas of some Wikimedians but may not have wide support. This is not policy on Meta, but it may be a policy or guideline on other Wikimedia projects. Feel free to update this page as needed, or use the discussion page to propose major changes.|
Just because you believe something, and believe other people do too, that doesn't mean it should be included in Wikipedia. Take the Chrysler Building for example. You may think it looks a little like a penis. It may very well be true that the architect had an obsession with penises. Granted, penises are very useful and can be fun if used properly. Men can even have nightmares about having their penises forcefully severed from their bodies. As great as penises can be, and as phallic as the Chrysler Building may look, that is not good enough of a reason to say in the article "Some people believe that the Chrysler Building was fashioned deliberately after the penis." Simply put, you are not qualified to speculate on the origins of a design, concept, object, word, or otherwise without citing your source. "You" are not the same as "some people." There is a basic test to help determine if an obscure idea is useful on Wikipedia.
- If you thought it up by yourself, especially late at night or while under the influence of alcohol or mind-altering substances, then it should not be used.
- If a friend of yours thought it up, especially late at night or while under the influence of alcohol or mind-altering substances, then it should not be used.
- If you heard it on Usenet, Fark.com, SomethingAwful, or otherwise, then it should not be used.
- If it was found in a satirical magazine or website, then it should not be used.
- If it was found in a peer-reviewed, reputable publication, then it can be used (but use the talk page first!)
- If a person or persons involved supports it (and this can be proven,) it can be used.
- If otherwise, discuss on the talk page.
In summary, if an idea is unsupported, it should not be mentioned, even if you and all your
stupid buddies think so.