All through the 15th, 16th, 17th and 19th century there were multiple witch trials, mainly in Europe and America.
This project aims to document the information there is on those trials, and on the accused and persecuted witches. About 85% of the persons accused where woman, because of the roles they fulfilled in daily life (midwifes, healers), and how vulnerable their position was in those specific times.
This involves different projects:
- Commons - categorisation and structured data
- Wikidata - d:Wikidata:WikiProject_Witches: creation of statements (for instance: accuser) to illustrate how people accused each other just to get redemption, translation of labels, adding names and information about the known witches (some are on Wikipedia, but those of who we do not have an article on the encyclopedia, may as well be relevant for Wikidata)
- Dutch Wikipedia - nl:Europese_heksenvervolging#Heksenvervolging_in_de_Nederlanden
- French Wikipedia - fr:Projet:Les_sans_pagEs/Sorcières
- English Wikipedia - ...
- Catalan Wkipedia - ca:Viquiprojecte:No_eren_bruixes,_eren_dones
(*your project too?)
What can I do?Edit
We would like to map and categorize the information we have on the different projects. Translating the articles into your own language, and add information and sources from your country.
How to do it - useful tipsEdit
- set up a home page project for witches on your local wikipedia or project
- put the link below in a section devoted to your language
- sign the participant's section so that we can contact youǃ
- learn wikidata to be able to enter useful information about prosecuted witches your might stumble upon in your region
- take photographs of the places where prosecuted witches lived and were prosecuted and upload them to commons
- contact local trial archives and associations to get the names and the primary sources of the trials in your region
- add them to wikidata paying attention to the needed properties of the date (there is a model on the wikidata witch project)
- make a SPARQL query (or ask for help on the discussion page to set up one or learn how to do it)
- translate articles in your own language on Wikipedia. You can start by translanting trials and general articles and then move on to biographies.
- update the below working list with ideas to do or articles to create
- organize an editathon on the subjectǃ We can help you to find out about grants from the Wikimedia movement
- write or blog about your experience and share itǃ We want to know about it
- Be bold, be patient this is a long run project
Some events like the Wikitechstorm can help you learn the tech skills needed. Newbies are welcomed, everybody starts at the beginningǃ
The Edinburgh University created a really cool project around the 3100 accused witches in Scotland and visualized their history by adding their data into Wikidata.
Check it out! (How did she go forward in this project? Read Emma's blog!)
On the French Wikipedia, a list was created, with an associated map from a Sparql query listing victims of the witch hunts: fr:Liste des victimes de chasses aux sorcières. There is an associated project ː https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Les_sans_pagEs/Sorci%C3%A8res#Projet_sur_Wikidata
Associated projet on fr-wiki https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Les_sans_pagEs/Sorci%C3%A8res
Croatia and HR (+ SH?) WikipediaEdit
On July 24th 2021 an online presentation meeting *(FB event) was made of the wiki witch project to Croatian art professionals, enthusiasts and feminist-queer wikimedians (including HrW initiative and OpenGLAM_Croatia). They asked what articles were missing on the Wikipedia in Croatian languageː
- List of missing executed witches on hr-wp Wikiproject Witches/Croatia
- Wikidata query https://w.wiki/3g5Q
- see https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q109925350 for witches in Zagreb
One needs to be careful as term "Croatia" could cover different teritory than current during history (separate and joint with Dalmatia, Istria, Dubrovnik etc)
- https://www.academia.edu/31623821/Magda_Logomer_Herucina (academic paperr on the last treid witch of Zagreb in 1757 Maria Logomer alias Herucina)
- Barica Cindek her vstory was told by writer Marija Jurić Zagorka in her novel The witch of Girc
- List with Croatian witches https://sacred-texts.com/pag/burning.htm
- Execution place in Zagreb to be photographed https://www.total-croatia-news.com/lifestyle/24874-born-guilty-history-of-witch-trials-in-zagreb
Wikidata items createdEdit
- Trial of Mrna Ratkova
- Mrna Ratkova (accused of witchcraft)
- Ivan de Trogir
- Zagreb witch trial
- Barica Cindek
- Jelena Kušenka
No eren bruixes, eren dones (They were not witches, they were women) is a project that aims to:
- Recover the memory of those innocent women who were victims of witchcraft accusations, tortured and executed.
- Promote their dignity and reparation.
- To vindicate all women who have been repressed throughout history.
What do we need?Edit
Archives and GLAMEdit
We need to access the data about prosecuted witches wherever this data is available in archives, libraries, museums. Once data is available it first needs to be integrated into wikidata.
If you have basic statements about witches (date of birth, name, place of prosecution, sentence, place and time of death) you can make a wikidata item. Before creating any element make sure you understand which statements and properties are needed.
- Do inventory on the different statements we use, and the additional we need
The categorisation is very messy concerning witches, and art pieces depicting witches. Any comonnists wanted to help clean up and struture the data.
- Mapping the category tree:
Downloaded data on wikidata generates a map to vizualise all the burned witches. If you have coding and mapping skills we need you ! The maps are to be broken down in regional maps so that all the data can show up on the maps.
There are still many historical articles and biograpèèhies missing !
|wikidata||Description||enwiki||nlwiki||frwiki||itwiki||arwiki||eswiki||ruwiki||dewiki||esperanto wiki||nowiki||cawiki||Other language (please add a column)||commons (photos)|
|insert new ideas of article here|
|witch hunt||Hexenverfolgung im Herzogtum Westfalen|
|witch hunt||Doruchów witch trial||Doruchów witch trial|
|Q1616764||witchcraft||Witch bottle||Bouteille de sorcière||Hexenflasche|
|Q30765203||witchcraft||witch ball||boule de sorcière|
|Q6418017||witchcraft||Kitchen witch||مداوي شعبي|
|Q7664530||witch trial in Eastern Europe||en:Szeged witch trials|
|Q1616830||witch trial in Eastern Europe||Northern_Moravia_witch_trials|
|Q104858445||witch trial in Eastern Europe||Witch_trials_in_Hungary|
|Q109923777||witch trial in Eastern Europe (Croatia)||Mrna Ratkova|
|Q109929502||witch trial in Eastern Europe (Croatia)||Jelena Kušenka|
|witch trial in Eastern Europe (Croatia)||Margereta Kušenka|
|Q109944258||witch trial in Eastern Europe (Croatia)||Kata Dolenec|
|Q109928848||witch trial in Eastern Europe (Croatia)||Barica Cindek|
|Q109925350||Zagreb witch trials|
|Q109932801||Zagreb witch trials||Ursula|
|1||Witch trials in Hungary||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q104858445||1|
|2||Northern Moravia witch trials||+||+||-||-||+||-||-||-||-||3||Q1616830||8|
|3||Szeged witch trials||Last witch trials in Hungary||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q7664530||3|
|4||Wini McQueen (b. 1943)||American textile artist||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q23020850||12|
|5||Kitchen witch||witch doll||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q6418017||1||+|
|6||Hōko||Japanese doll for protection of pregnant women||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q20982945||0|
|7||witch ball||Glass sphere said to ward off evil||+||-||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||2||Q30765203||1||+|
|8||witch bottle||counter-magical item used as protection against witchcraft||+||+||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||3||Q1616764||2||+|
|9||Frog coffin||burials of frogs in miniature coffins in Finland for the purposes of folk magic.||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q60791499||0|
|10||Polong||type of familiar spirit in Malay folklore||+||-||-||-||-||-||+||-||-||2||Q7225934||1|
|11||Poppet||doll used in folk magic and witchcraft||+||+||-||-||+||-||-||-||-||3||Q7229521||2||+|
|12||Pelesit||Spirit in Malay folklore||+||-||-||-||+||-||-||-||-||2||Q7161327||1|
|13||Westfalen witch trials||witch trials||-||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q1616855||2|
|14||Doruchów witch trial||witch trial which took place in the village of Doruchów in Poland in the 18th century||+||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||1||Q15214805||4|
|15||Pelesit||Spirit in Malay folklore||+||-||-||-||+||-||-||-||-||2||Q7161327||1|
|16||Poppet||doll used in folk magic and witchcraft||+||+||-||-||+||-||-||-||-||3||Q7229521||2||+|
|Σ||→ Autolist→ map gallery||15||5||2||0||5||0||1||0||0||28||avg: 2\3\19%||41|
- Ciell (talk) 19:53, 21 February 2020 (UTC)
- Nattes à chat (talk) 20:23, 21 February 2020 (UTC)