Wikipedia Takes Nairobi
The Wikipedia Takes Nairobi official discussion and resource meta.Please feel free to share your thoughts and your constructive critic.Big up to Alex for LOGO and his personal efforts.....
- Mpmayenge 21:09, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
While I was filling in the target areas in the wikipedia takes Nairobi, It has come to my attention that there is a small meseum that is near the GPO. This meseum is very important for Nairobi as a city and Kenya as a country because I am imformed that this is the point where all distances from Nairobi to other cities all over the world are measured. In that respect, I would be happy if someone gets the name of the meseum as it befits the category under historic sites. Stephen wanjau 13:34, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
Someone please enlighten me. In which category does the schools and learning institutions fall under in the 5 categories? Stephen wanjau 18:36, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
Currently we have targets divided into the following sections: Building, Infrastructure, Monuments, Historical Sites, Parks and Public places.
I feel that we should change them to something more suitable, anyone with ideas. Xelawafs 09:22, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
- Alex,I commend you for your efforts for setting the ball rolling on this.As much as the idea of separating Buildings from Institutions and Monuments is(coz Institutions and Monuments occupy or occur in Buildings! :-) ),I thinks it is sufficient enough to our scope.An overlap is expected especially with the cropping of satellite campuses and colleges in Nairobi(that are found in Buildings) but I strongly suggest we let it stay like that.I would however suggest that proper nomenclature of the buildings be followed as they appear on the ground.Say for instance Safaricom House and Safaricom Plaza or just Safaricom are very different things.Let guys strictly name buildings as they appear on the ground avoiding typos and shorthand as the name is like the Primary key in Database terms...:-)I have spotted this mishap and misunderstanding the building section.assuming am correct...:-)
Do you mean we could add new categories?Mpmayenge 18:00, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
- I think we need to put a clear border to differentiate a building from being part of infrastructure (BTW buildings are part of this).So I suggest that we merge these categories but still have another that covers institutions of learning, hospitals,Children orphanages and such just my Thought.
- Then monuments and historic under one category.Because monuments are associated History anyway.
- Two, I have noted that the monuments and history category have the least number of categories yet I know there is a hand full of them in Nairobi and most Importantly they are important landmarks.Someone please save the categories. Stephen wanjau 10:42, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
New Articles for Non-Existing BuildingsEdit
I think Wikipedia Takes Nairobi offers us yet another chance to populate wikipedia with local and relevant content.I have just realized that most of the buildings i know of dont have wikipedia articles.I hope it is in order to place them in our wikipedia takes nairobi then I(we) create articles for them.?is it part of the scope?i thot it wise to ask before i start working and if so anyone keen on helping with the creating of new articles for this building we work together? Limoke aka Mpmayenge 18:23, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
- Mpmayenge I had come across the same issue and I consulted Alex and he told me I coud go ahead and create articles about features that are worthy noting. Then put them on the waiting list for photoes to be taken in WTN.On that regard then, I would be glad to do the editting and learn more.I do also have a list of places not featured in the Encyclopedia yet they are suppossed to be Stephen wanjau 18:46, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
Existing articles in WikipediaEdit
Hi guys I have come acroos the following articles in wikipedia and I did not manage to find the respective locations in Nairobi;So someone please look into this;
- Greek orthodox Church of alexandria
- Huimble Hearts School
- Orange Democratic Movement Offices
- African Merchantile Exchange
- Zeitz Foundation
zimwi 18:30, 30 June 2011 (UTC)