- Wikimedia ZA (Discott (talk)), Bobbyshabangu (talk) 17:04, 7 January 2021 (UTC)
- The South African event will comprise a press conference with the Cape Town Press Club on the 19th of January. Journalists will get a chance to ask questions about any Wikimedia-related topic. A recording of the event can be viewed on the Cape Town Press Club's Youtube channel here.
The previous week, on the 15 January, we will host a virtual birthday with a programme not exceeding one hour; this event will be open to everyone, including our GLAM partners, stakeholders as well as the general public. Both events will highlight:
- The increase in general awareness of Wikipedia and how it works
- Need for greater diversity
- African language Wikipedias
- Expanding content (more Africa relevant content for example)
- Fighting disinformation/misinformation
- MC and Welcome Remarks: Bobby Shabangu
- Birthday wishes video part 1
- Milestone achieved by Wikipedia and its volunteers over the 20 years, history of South African Chapter: Dumisani Ndubane, advisor to the Board
- Birthday wishes video part 2
- Statements from GLAM Partner: Klaus Krischok, Regional Director of the Goethe-Institut in Subsaharan-Africa
- Breaking down the Metrix and looking at some of our outstanding South African Wikipedia volunteers:
- Community speakers: Twin Mosia, Ingrid Thomson, Liebe Brandt,
- Token of appreciation to small language Wikis: Identifying small language Wikis that managed to grow over the past 12 months; awarding vouchers to volunteers who did most of the contribution.
Zoom Link to eventEdit
Wikimedia South Africa is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: 20 Years of Wikipedia Time: Jan 15, 2021, 01:00 PM Johannesburg
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/91927400671?pwd=d01UQmgyRDJEaUlEME9udlVSV3Q0UT09
Meeting ID: 919 2740 0671 Passcode: 860401
List of mediaEdit
- Wikipedia’s moment of truth (14 January 2021), Business Day, by Chris Roper on Wikipedia's birthday and challenges facing it in South Africa.
- Happy 20th birthday, Wikipedia! Fascinating facts about the internet's encyclopedia (14 January 2021), News24, Maxine Peters
- African Wiki geeks, where are you? Wikipedia wants to fill a knowledge hole (14 January 2021), Sunday Times, op-ed by Douglas Scott
- Wikipedia wants you to join the good side of the Internet (15 January 2021), Mail and Guardian, by Sarah Smit, interview with Douglas Scott
- Pretoria FM radio interview with Deon Styen (12:30-13:00, 16 January 2021)
- Wikipedia celebrates 20th birthday, aims to reach more readers (15 January 2021), published by IOL, by Associated Foreign Press
- Radio Sonder Grense radio interview with Deon Styen about Wikipedia's birthday in Afrikaans (18 January 2021)
- Happy 20th birthday, Wikipedia – last outpost of the 'utopian' web (~6:45 am, 19 January 2021), Cape Talk Breakfast Show with Refilwe Moloto - radio interview with Douglas Scott.
- Wikipedia at 20 is more relevant than ever in a social media era (19 January 2021), Daily Maverick, by Sasha Planting - article resulting from the Cape Town Press Club event on the same day.
- Wikipedia celebrate 20th birthday (20 January 2021), Memeburn, by Megan Ellis
- Wikipedia's South African Contributors (6:40am, 27 January 2021), Kaya Breakfast show, presented by David O' Sullivan, Thabiso Sikwane & Jason Goliath, interview with Douglas Scott, Kaya FM.