Wikimedians for Sustainable Development/Meeting minutes 20200607
Originally taken in Etherpad: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/WfSD-20200607
Online meeting - Sunday, 7 June 18.00-19.00 UTCEdit
- Gnom (Lukas Mezger)
- Euphemia Uwandu
- Michael Graaf
- Introductions (Ainali)
- New meeting schedule (Ainali)
- Partnering with Climate Cardinals (climatecardinals.org) to translate climate-related articles (Gnom)
- insight on the Wikimedia Sustainability Initiative (Gnom, requested by Mervat)
- Adding SDG implications through templates (Ainali)
Quick intro to the meeting by Ainali.
New meeting scheduleEdit
Ainali informed about the new schedule. Meetings will be held regularly, twice a month at different times to enable as many as possible to be able to participate at least once a month. The schedule is the first Sunday of the month 18.00 UTC and the third Saturday of the month 24.00 UTC.
Climate Cardinals collaborationEdit
- The WFSD user group supports the idea of translating Wikipedia articles on climate change
- Lukas to create project page and ping participants
- create list of fundamental Wikipedia articles on climate change
- create shortened stable versions of these articles
- ask WMF about report and/or experience of the WikiMed/TWB project (including Mervat)
- offer Wikipedia training to Climate Cardinals group
- approach small language Wikipedia communities to participate as well
- brainstorm about what funds would be needed for such a project
- start out with a sample shortened article and translate it in 2–3 small languages
- evaluate and plan next steps
- Ainali will reach out to CFCF for advice
Insight on the Wikimedia SustainabilityEdit
Gnom gave some information on the background.
- Mervat will ask WMF if we can help them in any way or if they can share information.
- Ainali will give WMF a tip about how the EU statistics department report on the SDGs.
Adding SDG implications through templatesEdit
Ainali presented the idea of tying in the impact of topics on the SDGs, both positive and negative. In general it was well perceived.
- Q: How well is the SDGs a gold standard for reporting?
- Ainali: There are of course legitimate criticism against some targets, the power of the framework comes from the wide adaptation and that it in theory have a wide support from governments.
- Idea: Could this be made with Wikidata? If so, this could be made scalable to all language versions! This is worth exploring.
Per the new regular schedule, it will be 20 June, 24.00 UTC. Ainali will create a Google account for the group so that anyone who wants can get a calendar invite.