Wikimedia user groups/Applications/MediaWiki Farmers user group
Proposed name of Wikimedia user group: (There are some templates at Step-by-step user group creation guide#Naming of user groups.)
- Proposed name of your user group MediaWiki Farmers user group
Proposed scope of Wikimedia user group: (What is the planned purpose, scope, vision, or mission of this Wikimedia user group?)
- Proposed scope of your user group The MediaWiki Farmers user group is a proposed user group of third-party developers who work on wiki farms. Our mission is to improve and standarize the way MediaWiki wiki farms are setup and run.
1. Who are the people behind this application?
- 1a. How many?
- 1b. Active in which Wikimedia projects, if any?
- mediawiki.org and wikitech.wikimedia.org
- 1c. How are they geographically distributed?
- Our current list has members from the US, Canada, the UK, and Finland
- 1d. Do you have any highly active or prominent (on local or international level) Wikimedians / Wikipedians? If so, please name a few. (provide user names and wiki of origin)
- Four of our current members have mw:+2 rights across all mediawiki/* repositories.
- 1e. How many people do you expect will eventually want to join?
- As many as wish to! We have no idea how many would want to join.
2. For the application and final agreement we will require two contact persons that can sign the Wikimedia User Group Agreement on behalf of the group. Who will those be? (please provide user names and wiki of origin) Please also include email addresses for these users either on this page or in your initial email to the Affiliations Committee (AffComlists.wikimedia.org).
3. Please give a short summary of your time path from the founding up to now.
- The group was proposed and started during a discussion at Wikimania 2014 between various sysadmins of wikifarms complaining about their various problems and discussing how they solved them. Since then we've continued to work together through CR support and informal discussions on IRC debugging various issues.
4. Which geographical area and context do you cover (or plan to cover) with your entity?
- The whole world.
5. Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people? If yes, please briefly describe some examples. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
- An informal meeting was held at Wikimania 2014.
6. Do you keep any monthly/half-yearly/yearly reports of you activities? If yes, please provide links. This is not a requirement, just helpful information.
- No, however all of our code review work is public, and can easily be found on gerrit.wikimedia.org
7. What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
- Improving documentation relating to wikifarms, some software development that will primarily benefit wikifarms, and support through code review in fixing bugs. Some ideas on possible software projects are listed on our page at mw:Project:MediaWiki Farmers user group.
8. Is you entity already legally registered? Do you intend on becoming a legally registered entity in the next thirteen months? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to legally incorporate or register.
- No, and no.
9. Do you have a bylaws for you entity? If yes, have the bylaws been reviewed by a lawyer/specialist? Please note that we do not require or encourage user groups to write bylaws.
- No, and no.
10. How can the Affiliations Committee and the Wikimedia Foundation help your group?
- Approving us? :)