The Wikimedia movement is the totality of people, activities, and values which revolve around Wikimedia sites and projects:
- a collection of values shared by individuals (freedom of speech, knowledge for everyone, community sharing, etc.);
- a collection of projects (Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikimedia Commons, Wikinews, Wikiquote, Wikidata, Wikivoyage, Wikisource, Wikispecies, Wikiversity, Wikibooks, Incubator...);
- a collection of activities (conferences, workshops, wikiacademies, etc.);
- a collection of organizations (Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia chapters, etc.), as well as some free electrons (individuals without chapters) and similar-minded organizations.
- sebuah koleksi nilai yang disebarkan oleh individu-individu (kebebasan bercakap, pengetahuan untuk sesiapapun, penyebaran komun dsb.);
- a collection of activities around Wikimedia projects:
- a collection of organizations, as well as some free electrons (individuals acting outside any group) and similar-minded organizations:
The Wikimedia Foundation
The owner of the trademark Wikimedia is the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). Linked to the WMF are the Wikimedia Foundation's own organs and committees:
- advisory board
- Independent Committees installed by the WMF board
More generally speaking, Wikimedia stakeholders may also be part of the Wikimedia movement, i.e. readers of Wikimedia content, donors, schools, GLAM, similar-minded institutions, and companies co-operating with the Wikimedia Foundation or other Wikimedia organizations.
- The post and the thread on foundation-l mailing list, started by Anthere, where the term and concept was launched.
- Communication issues musings of a dinosaur (about 17:30), Anthere's speech at Wikimania 2008.
- Scaling up: can Wikimedia Become A 300 Million People Movement By 2020? (about minute 4), Eloquence's speech at Wikimania 2009.
- Use of the term in Wikimedia mailing lists.
- Complementary projects
- Le mouvement Wikimédia on French Wikibooks.