Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/20193
report for March 2019
Community and ParticipationEdit
Events on International Womens DayEdit
International Womens Day on the 8th of March was celebrated in cities throughout the Netherlands. There were Wikimedia-gatherings online and IRL in:
- November 2018 - March 8 - Online op Wikipedia - #100wikiwomen online writing challenge
- March 1st - Amsterdam - Amnesty International - Wiki-a-thon: schrijven over vrouwelijke mensenrechtenverdedigers
- March 8 and 9 - Utrecht - WikiConNL - Presentaties en paneldiscussie diversiteit/inclusiviteit op Wikimedia en in de erfgoedsector, Wiki-a-thon: Amnesty International
- March 8 - Eindhoven - De Watershed - Art+Feminism
- March 8 - Hengelo - Hengelo Library - Lezing Vrouwelijke kunstenaars in de 20ste eeuw
- March 8 - Maastricht - Cell Foundation - Wikigap event
- March 9 - March 22 - Online on Dutch Wikipedia - Writing week on First-wave feminism
- March 21 - Hengelo - Wikikring Twente
- March 22 - Amsterdam - Wikivrijdag bij Atria over de Eerste feministische golf in Nederland
Amnesty International Wiki-a-thonsEdit
On the first of March we kicked of a series of Amnesty wiki-a-thons in Amsterdam, with the goal to have more articles on female human rights defenders on Wikipedia. The system of a wiki-a-thon is simple, preparations are key. Amnesty makes sure there are sources on the human rights defenders en prints them: names of the rights defenders go on post-its up on the wall. Wikimedia volunteers take care of the Wikidata-part. Participants choose post-it with a name they are interested in and collect the paper with sources from Amnesty and start writing. Wikimedia volunteers go around and help the participants with their first steps and collect their usernames. Afterwards, all articles are checked for the Wikipedia markup, categories and Wikidata connections.
We wrote about 40 articles in Dutch and English with 38 participants this first afternoon: the Amnesty wiki-a-thons are ongoing in April.
See also the new Learning Pattern.
Field study Dutch Libraries and WikimediaEdit
In recent years, there have been several collaborative projects between libraries and editors of Wikipedia, for example. Cooperation therefore seems obvious and is becoming increasingly common worldwide. Because libraries that share their collections through Wikipedia and related projects have a wider reach than through their own channels. Wikipedia articles are also written in the library during special Wiki meetings.
Six months ago, Wikimedia Nederland, with the support of the Pica Foundation, started a field study into the collaboration between Wikimedia and libraries in the Netherlands. The aim is to map common goals, to gain insight into (time) investment and to assess what a structural collaboration can yield.
On 15 May Wikimedia Nederland will organise a knowledge meeting for library staff. The results of desk research and network analysis will be presented, as well as examples of collaborative projects. These data serve as a basis for a subsequent work session to go deeper into the possibilities of collaboration.
Communication and publicityEdit
We sent out our newsletter of March
- Nature Today Prachtige nieuwe natuurfoto’s op Wikimedia | Beautiful new nature photos on Wikimedia
- Dordrecht.net Vrouwendag Wiki-a-thon Amnesty International Dordrecht | Women's day Wiki-a-thon Amnesty International Dordrecht
- Erfgoed Gelderland Wikicon 2019: Wikipedia is meer! | Wikicon 2019: Wikipedia is more!
- Informatieprofessional Doe mee aan een onderzoek naar samenwerking tussen bibliotheken en Wikimedia | Take part in a study on collaboration between libraries and Wikimedia
- Informatieprofessional Kennisbijeenkomst samenwerking Wikimedia en bibliotheken in Nederland op 15 mei | Knowledge meeting collaboration Wikimedia and libraries in the Netherlands on 15 May