Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/20175
Wikimedia Nederland report for May 2017
Community and ParticipationEdit
- E-learning online communication.
The first module of the e-learning programme to improve online communication skills was presented and discussed with the working group. The programme will be fully operational in September.
- Erfgoed Leiden
Erfgoed Leiden organised a Wikimedia-afternoon on 8 May. The afternoon consisted of 2 parts. A general introduction on Wikimedia and archives was open to all and was attended by 17 people. Presentation slides are here. The second part consisted of a small workshop Editing Wikipedia, with a focus on adding images to Wikipedia articles from the recent content donations by ELO. Introductory slides here. Five people attended.
- GLAM cooperation in general
Wikimedia Nederland presented on open data and sharing digital collections during the Museumkennisdag in Museum Louwman on 15 May. Around 40 people attended the presentation and discussion, which focused on sharing and retrieving metadata and outreach beyond the core audience. Presentation slides can be found here.
- Netherlands and the World: Photos of Syria on Wikimedia Commons
For years, Syria has been the scene of a bloody civil war resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, and the destruction of entire cities. The recent image donation by the Nationaal Museum van Wereldculturen (the National Museum of World Cultures) in the Netherlands shows another Syria. Many of these photos were taken in the 1980s and show scenes of daily life and images and cities not yet devastated by war. Other images show objects from the collection of the museum. Together, they form a valuable resource on Syria for the various Wikimedia projects. The upload consists of 352 photos in total and can be accessed here. It coincides with a photo exhibit in the NMvW on Aleppo.
- Brabant Heritage. We met with regional heritage centre Erfgoed Brabant to discuss possible cooperation, similar to our work with Erfgoed Gelderland. It was a positive meeting and we expect that it will lead to concrete activities later 2017/earlu 2018.
- Grafisch Lyceum Utrecht
The results for the project with GLU were mixed. A fair number of students participated in the project, but only very few actually sent their work to the Wikimedia volunteers who requested it. Results can be found here on Commons.
- National Plan Open Science Meeting
WMNL participated in the National Plan Open Science Meeting at the TU Delft on May 29, which was intended to bring science and the open data movement together.
- Wikimedia internship at Utrecht University
The Special Collections department of Utrecht University Library appointed a student intern to work on improving coverage of its manuscripts across Wikimedia projects. She will be working on Wikipedia and Wikidata, and will also facilitate an upload of images to Commons.
- The Wilhelmina Drucker Foundation is going to support us in doing an analysis of the information provided in the Dutch language Wikipedia about the womens' suffrage movement in the period 1870-1920. They will support us financially as well as through providing expertise.
The WLM team held a Wiki Loves Monuments Challenge this month. The purpose of the challenge is to enrich the encyclopedia with articles about monuments: the stories behind the photos we have collected since 2010. New editors were invited to join a Wikipedia-workshop in Amersfoort or Gouda. The result: 17 participants wrote or improved a total of 312 articles on Wikipedia.
Communication and publicityEdit
We sent out our newsletter of May