Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201406
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for June 2014
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editorsEdit
- The WMNL office was open for community members on June 7 and 21. The event on the 7th was visited by 10 members. The first ideas for the year plan 2015 were collected by the 12 participants on the 21st. (see below)
WORK: content, collaboration and activity developmentEdit
- Wiki Loves Earth events
- In total, the Wiki Loves Earth competition resulted in 1349 images of Dutch nature, wildlife and landscapes uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. The Institute for Vision and Sounds donated 500 videos of Dutch birds (see below under content donations for more info) and launched a competition to integrate the films in the relevant Wikipedia-articles. We also met with Naturalis, the museum of natural history, to discuss content donations and an editathon, and are approaching volunteer organisations working on nature and wildlife for future cooperation.
- Education Programme
- WMNL has commissioned a small consultancy firm to carry out a study into the feasibility of starting an education programme in the Netherlands. The consultants did desk research and interviewed relevant stakeholders. In their report, they conclude that there is definitely potential for an education programme focussing on higher education (universities and colleges. They recommended carrying out three pilotprojects, exploring improving content of articles, translating articles from other language versions of Wikipedia and improving language and style of articles. More information can be found on the project page.
- World War Two
- Volunteers working on the World War Two project made an inventory of topics whose content could be expanded and improved. This will serve as a framework for content donations by the National Institute for War Research NIOD and the Institute for Vision and Sound. We also decided to approach local history groups and museums. More information on the project page. And we are also still looking for more volunteers to work on this activity!
- Wikipedia workshops at libraries
- Two workshop were organised: a monthly open workshop in Amersfoort (June 13) and a workshop for 9 employees of the public library in Amsterdam (OBA, June 24). The workshop in Amersfoort attracted people that specifically came to the library for the workshop and the director of the archive (the archive is located in the same building).
- Music Edit-a-thon
- On Saturday June 14th an Edit-a-thon was organized at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. About 30 people showed up to write about Dutch music from the first half of the twentieth century. There were 15 first-time editors present. About twenty articles were written (see the course page for all the contributions of the day). Photos of the day.
- Content donations
- The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision: 500+ videos of birds
- The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision has just finished uploading over 500 video's of bird filmed in The Netherlands by a professional film producer. This is a donation made possible by the Foundation for Nature Footage (Stichting Natuurbeelden) and the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. The entire collection can be found in the category commons:Category:Stichting_Natuurbeelden_on_Open_Images Stichting Natuurbeelden on Open Images.
- Atlas of Mutual Heritage on Commons: 2.500 old maps, prints and drawings
- Re-source fashion conference
- The newsletter was published on June 30. 69 people signed up for the WMNL newsletter, mainly as a result of the Wiki Loves Earth events.
- Linux-group meeting
- Board members Ad Huikeshoven and Justus de Bruijn attended the annual summer meeting of the Netherlands Linux Usersgroup. They presented WMNL and explored possibilities for synergy and cooperation.
- Free Culture Weekend
- Wikimania Scholarships
- WMNL provided Wikimania scholarships to 11 members of the Dutch Wikimedia community. In addition, several staff and boardmembers will also attend the event in London.
- The WMNL Board met on June 12.
- Annual plan 2015
- We started drafting of the annual plan 2015 with a brainstorming meeting on June 21, which was attended by 12 people. The process has now moved on-wiki. Members of the Wikimedia community can provide input on the WMNL-wiki.
These events are relevant to the Netherlands and/or Dutch language Wikimedia-projects but were not organised by WMNL:
- Brazil writing weeks. The Dutch Wikipedia community organised two writing weeks (May 31 - June 15) about Brazil. Some  260 articles were written or improved.
- 2,228 photos of objects from the Rijksmuseum Japanese art collection were uploaded to Commons with the GLAMwiki Toolset through the kind help of Fae.