Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201404
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for April 2014
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editorsEdit
- Small grants programme
- WMNL gave a grant of € 200 for the organisation of a writing event on women and art. A full overview of the small grants can be found here.
- Two Wiki-Saturdays, with 4 resp. 6 participants, were held in April.
WORK: content, collaboration and activity developmentEdit
- Wiki Loves Earth.
- A group of volunteers, supported by office staff, worked hard to prepare for the launch of Wiki Loves Earth on May 1. They have a developed a full programme of events in cooperation with the Netherlands' National Parks, focussing on uploading images and sounds.
- Museum Naturalis cooperation
- WMNL will continue to work on the theme of nature, biodiversity and landscape after the international Wiki Loves Earth competition has finished. We met with representatives of Naturalis, the Museum of Natural History, to discuss cooperation. Already we have planned a editing event for October 4/5, but we are also discussing content donations. We want to link these activities to a concerted action to recruit new editors from (volunteer) organisations working on natural history.
- Education Programme
- The consultants engaged to carry out a feasibility study for cooperation between WMNL and the education sector have started work. In April and May they will carry out interviews with representatives of institutes of higher education and with members of the international Wikimedia community. Their interim results will be presented to and discussed with the community on May 24. More information can be found on the projectpage
- GLAMwiki Toolset (mass-upload tool)
- The Amsterdam Museum hosted a GLAMwiki Toolset workshop on the 4th of April. Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam Museum, University Museum Utrecht, National Archives of the Netherlands, National Library of the Netherlands,Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, Wikipedians in Residence and volunteers participated in this workshop. Every step from choosing suitable content to uploading it was covered during the workshop. The lessons learned are being collected in the GLAMwiki Toolset Manual.
- Wiki Loves Bieb
- First preparations were made for the monthly Wikipedia courses that will be hosted by the library in Amersfoort, starting on June the 13th.
- Wikipedians in Residence
- The Wikipedians in Residence had a meeting on the 28th of April. The notes of this meeting are public (Dutch). Two workshops were organized for employees of Sound and Vision in which they were encouraged to consider the platforms of Wikimedia when setting up new projects.
- Wikidata Workshop
- The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision hosted a Wikidata workshop given bij Gerard Meijssen on April 11th. The workshop was focussed on explaining what Wikidata is, to show how single and batch edits can be done and to discuss the different possibilities for GLAMs to use Wikidata. Apart from a variety of participants from the institute itself also the Rijksmuseum and Wikipedians in Residence were present. More workshops will be organised in 2014.
- World War II - warmonuments
- April was war monuments month for WMNL. In cooperation with the Nationaal Comité 4 en 5 may, we asked members of the public to make and upload photos of warmonuments. More than 2,000 images were uploaded via the campaign template. WMNL will continue to focus on improving and adding to content concerning World War II. We are exploring cooperation with NIOD, the National institute for war, genocide and holocaust studies. More news in the next report.
- An issue of the newsletter was sent out.
- WMNL received a generous donation of €12,500 from a private donor.
- Wikimedia Conference Berlin
- Chair Frans Grijzenhout, Board Member International Affairs Ad Huikeskoven en Executive Director Sandra Rientjes attended the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin. A full report can be found on the WMNL Wiki.
- Program evaluation and design workshop, Berlin
- Sebastiaan ter Burg attended the Program Evaluation and Design workshop in Berlin to learn how to improve the "program manual" that WMNL already has developed.
- Wiki Loves Monuments International.
- The final report on Wiki Loves Monuments International was submitted to the WMF. WMNL acted as fiscal sponsor to the project team, taking care of payments and accounting.
- Board retreat
- The newly elected Board met for two days to discuss division of tasks and get acquainted.
- New staff member
- Jolanda Adelaar joined the WMNL office team to work on finances and office management. She replaces Tom Kisters who left on May 1st to finalise his studies with an internship at an international accountancy firm.
- Q1 report submitted
- We submitted our report on activities in the first quarter to WMF.
- May 17: Editathon Women and Art, Amsterdam
- May 24: Education Programme - presentation and discussion at the Wikimedia office in Utrecht
- May 24: Maps and Wikipedia meeting, Amsterdam
- May 25: Wiki Loves Earth events in three National Parks