Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201311
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for October and November 2013
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editorsEdit
- Wikimedia Nederland Conferentie
The annual Wikimedia Nederland Conference on November 2 was attended by 138 people, many of whom had never attended a Wikimedia-event before. The organisers has put together a varied programme, with presentations on topics ranging from the way historians use Wikipedia to the latest software developments. An introductory course on Wikipedia editing was especially popular.
- Editor Training Public Library Amersfoort
WMNL is exploring ways of cooperating with public libraries. We organised an edit-a-thon with an introductionary training in the public library of Amersfoort. 12 people attended, 6 of whom had never edited pages before.
- Wikizaterdag 12/10, 26/10 9/11, 23/11
As usual, the Wikimedia Nederland office was open every second and fourth Saturday of the month.
WORK: content, collaboration and activity developmentEdit
- Editathon The Hague
Although Wiki Loves Monuments officially took place in September, we had a small editathon aimed at improving articles on the monuments of The Hague on October 12. The Monument Service of The Hague provided background information.
- Wikipedians in Residence
Two new Wikipedians in Residence started work in October. Hans Muller and Arie Sonneveld will work with the group of 12 specialised academic libraries.
- Sandra Fauconnier has been selected as the Wikipedian in Residence for The Great Wikipedia Expedition project, a project of foundation for academic heritage (SAE) and the Tropenmuseum.
- Design Editathon Centraal Museum (28 October)
As part of our ongoing cooperation with the Centraal Museum in Utrecht we organised an editathon on Design. The 35 participants worked on the articles on important Dutch designers.
- ECNC photo competition
WNMNL supported the international conservation NGO ECNC in organising a photo competition among its network of partners institutes. As a result 165 images on the relation between humans and nature were uploaded to Commons. For WMNL this was also a pilot to see if and how initiatives by other organisations can lead to specific new content.
- Catharijne Convent, Utrecht
A first meeting has taken place with the Museum Catharijne Convent to discuss joint activities in 2014. This museum focusses on religious art and heritage.
- 550 years of parliamentary history
A group of WMNL volunteers and WP-editors has started a project aimed at improving content concerning the history of the Dutch parliamentary system.
- New WMNL Website
The new WMNL website was launched. It provides information about Wikimedia Nederland’s mission and activities for the general public.
- Media coverage
An interview with three members of the WMNL community (WMNL Board Member and WIkipedian Paul Becherer, Wikipedian in Residence Hay Kranen and WMNL Director Sandra Rientjes) appeared in the national newspaper Algemeen Dagblad on November 9
- Sandra Rientjes was interviewed on national radio November 10.
- The FDC recommended to allocate WMNL € 304.000 in funds for 2014. This is 94% of the amount originally requested.
GLOBAL: International collaborationEdit
- Diversity Conference, Berlin
WMNL staffmember Denise Jansen attended the Diversity Conference in Berlin.
- Wikipedia Seminar, Kulturrad Norway
WMNL staffmember Sebastiaan ter Burg spoke at a Wikipedia seminar in Oslo
- Community meetings in Germany
WMNL president Ziko van Dijk was a guest at the Cologne work shop in October and, together with another member, at the WikiCon in Karlsruhe in November.
- Flemish OER conference, Brussels
Ziko van Dijk represented WMNL at the 15th Anniversary Meeting of KlasCement, a Flemish initiative similar to Wikiwijs, in the Flemish ministry of education in Brussels (October).
- Meeting Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU, London, nov 4, 2013
Frans Grijzenhout attended a meeting of the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group. During the meeting a Statement of intent was produced.
ORGANISATION: board, management and supportEdit
- The board met in Utrecht on October 10 and via Skype on November 7.
- Boardmember Anke Peereboom resigned from the Board in September due to workpressure. Boardmember Hans Muller resigned in November to avoid any suggestion of a possible conflict of interest following his appointment as Wikipedian in Residence.
- End-of-year festive Wiki Saturday will be on December 21.
- The New Years Reception will take place on January 18 in The Hague.